what are good, beginner exercises to build core strength?

Options
One of the reasons I started loosing is because of my chronic low back pain. I thought if I lost some the pain might get better. 20 pounds later it really hasn't and it was suggested that I work on the muscles in that area, which I have not done in a LONG time. I can't do too much yet, so where should I start?

Replies

• himiller3
    Options
    Maybe I am biased, but yoga is good for building core strength for beginners :)
  • GwynnBochanan
    GwynnBochanan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You might want to try swimming, it works out alot of the body while being low impact. Also, offers a good burn.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Doing ab exercises on a fitness ball will support your back and help build your core.
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    When I strained my back muscles post-partum, the physio told me one of the best exercises to strengthen core muscles was the pelvic floor exercise. It worked wonders for me. Do them ordinarily but also lying down and you can actually feel the muscles in your core tightening. Hope this helps.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Yoga for sure! Any pose or stretch can be modified based on health and fitness level. The reason you build core strength in yoga is because any pose that requires balance or stability either requires you to or works out better if you keep your core tight. Have you seen those big stability balls that people use for workouts? If you are absolute beginner you may just want to get one and sit on it while working at desk, watchign TV, etc. the act of balancing on it will keep your core muscles tighter. Then as you get more strength you can use it for crunches and back extensions. Good luck!
  • ColettaMooney
    Options
    Pilates is best for back pain. I am a disabled veteran and have scoliosis. Pilates and Yoga are the only things that stretch my muscles and give me some relief from the severe pain. Hope this helps :-)
  • Banrion
    Banrion Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am biased, but yoga is good for building core strength for beginners :)

I agree, my core is stronger from yoga, then any abs my coach had me do in college!!
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    Options
    Keigle, stomach vaccum (heard that term for the first time on here) you pretend to pull a string from your belly button thru your back bone, at first you dont feel like your doing anything at all but keep up with it, supermans, if you can tuck your self up like a ball and roll back and forth on your back its good too, it helps align your spine and strengthen abs, so rap your arms around your knees tuck your head down rock backwards towards your shoulders and then roll back to starting position. and of course crunches area good one to do as well
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    I really like my fitness ball.

Some things are really easy. Like : Sit on the ball, body upright. Hold arms out to your sides, horizontally. Then lift one foot a few inches off the floor for 15-30 seconds. It takes a surprising amount of concentration to stay balanced. And all the "adjustments" that you are constantly making are exercising your core. It's not hard (like say sit-ups), but if you are just beginning you will definitely feel improvement in a couple of days.

All the other exercises on the exercise ball are similar : Since you are kind of unstable on the ball, you are constantly engaging your core to maintain balance. IMO, this sure beats doing 27 different exercises to target only one muscle at a time.
  • Jiv7
    Jiv7 Posts: 36
    Options
    I had low back/hip pain for a while too. My doctor said it was because those muscles were weak so they werent supporting me the way they should. Its kinda hard to explain how to do them without showing you but it included leg lifts. Try looking up or ask you doctor about pelvic floor exercises. Hope this helps!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Pilates!

My sister and dad both swear by it ...as has EVERY physio I've ever seen.

It can be quite a work out and was designed as a combination of physio/yoga and acrobatic moves!

Stuff like the plank, pushups, dorsal raises, B52s, spotty dogs, supermans, alternate box raises, squats are all good, Lots of shoulder and torso stuff. Twisty situps... I'm not going to explain them on here because I don't have much time, I might not explain them perfectly and you can find them on videos LOADS of places online.

Maybe get yourself a small set of free weights (probably 3, 4 and 6Kg ones) and a swiss ball with a couple of differing resistance resistance bands.

Hope that helps.... I found it worked marvelously. Just remember you can't just do the, get better and forget them. When doing it for the reasons you are, you should treat it like physiotherapy. And 1 day NOT doing your exercises is like going back 3 days of work.

I'd go see a physio or gym instructor for a couple of sessions to get a more tailored plan and some advice/proper demos. x
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    Oh and don't over train your abs, your back muscles need strength training too... dorsal raises, B52s, the Plank....
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    And.... sorry for the numerous posts... SLOW and controlled. Its definitely quality, not quantity.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I know yoga's good, but I've never done. These are the things I do do build core strength:

Squat Kicks (I do a variant, squat kicks of death: squat, kick, lunge on that leg, squat kick with other leg, lunge on that leg, squat)
    Planks
    T-Ups
    Mason Twists
    Leg Raises (I usually spell out the alphabet a couple times instead of just down up or whatever)
    Steam Engines
    Bicycle Crunches
    Seals

Hope this helps!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I started loosing is because of my chronic low back pain. I thought if I lost some the pain might get better. 20 pounds later it really hasn't and it was suggested that I work on the muscles in that area, which I have not done in a LONG time. I can't do too much yet, so where should I start?

Squats, dead lifts, real sit-ups, pull-ups, and over head presses.

Moderate weight to learn form, then heavy.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I will definitely be trying much if not all of what was suggested to see what works for me. My husband is also a disabled vet, he sustained a back injury when his truck was hit with an RPG and he's in pain constantly, I will have to share this post with him.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    We're all different so proceed carefully with whatever plan you choose. I think it might actually be a good idea to work with a physical therapist or at least a trainer who is familiar with back injury issues to get the best exercises for you. I have a lower back and hip problem myself and the only exercises that bother me are pilates. Even if I make adjustments to make them more back friendly, pilates always sends me to the chiropractor for at least a couple of visits. I've decided to concentrate on other core fitness and avoid pilates. At least for awhile. I might try it again in a few months to see if my core has gotten strong enough to do them. Yoga is a great core workout and doesn't bother my back at all. I also lift weights and do the ab and back Nautilus machines.

I think the pilates exercises that do me in are the ones where you lay on your back and have your legs up off the ground, raising and lowering them, scissoring them, etc. Even if I do it with bent legs and put my hands under my buns to give my back more of a protective tilt, these just really bother me. Others like superman are fine.

Anyway, just proceed carefully, listen to your body, and find what works best for you. Don't discount professional assistance to help you find your way.