Sodas.... Mmmmmm

Options
Okay, So I am really really addicted to soda's. (Diet Pepsi and Coke Zero). Anyone know a good way of kicking the habit?

Replies

• ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Nopers.....

*Needs to go find a Coke Zero NOW!*

Sorry, I am addicted as well..:ohwell:
  • himiller3
    Options
    Maybe try drinking a glass of water before you have a soda (every time)? It may make it less likely for you to have as much, or even pick one up.
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Try carbonated water with some flavors (lemon/lime juice, Mio, etc.) Then you ween off carbonated drinks and just try tea or water...
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    nah, i have to drink a Diet coke with my food if I have access to it. I don't drink soda all day but when I eat I need one. Just watch the intake on it. I don't think it is really a problem. But everyone has their own opinion on it.
  • csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I love Coke and Sprite - but unfortunately they have got to go for a little while. I usually keep myself full by drinking a ton of water - and eventually you don't thirst for anything except water. Maybe, if you're having a lot of issues kicking the soda habit, my boyfriend took 1 shot glass of coke everyday so he wouldn't feel deprived and eventually he didn't care for it as much.
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I made it a point to drink a bottle of water for every soda I had now I find that I can sometimes go all day without one
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    I was. Now I have one maybe once a week. What started it was my healthier eating. I was trying really hard to drink 1/2 of my weight in ounces of water and that kinda elimated all of the other drinks out of my diet...lol.
  • bs1981
    bs1981 Posts: 36
    Options
    Diet pop addict as well, don't think its a problem if not alot and keeps me from a cookie binge.
  • CurlyClare78
    Options
    How many do you have? I used to have about 6 cans per day then I got into green tea - it takes some getting used to but it starts tasting nice. So I'd substitute one or two towards the end of the day so I'd have cokes in the morning and green tea in the afternoon now I'm at the point where I can have green tea all day. I drink gallons though!! Also I get soda water or fizzy mineral water and have it with sugar free squash which is only slightly better but it depends which squash I'm using. Also I get fruit tea and have a couple of bags in a tea pot - seems to make it nicer.

For motivation - my cellulite improves no end after a couple of weeks off the diet coke. Then comes back if I start drinking it again. That's how dirty and toxic it is....
  • Gio2369
    Gio2369 Posts: 82
    Options
    yes, just pick another drink that you like...I used to drink coke daily for years, and when I didnt I used to get headaches, get in a bad mood, it was bad. So one day I started Drinking Gatorade low calorie, and I have not drink coke in 22 days :)
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I was up to 2-3 cans of Coke Zero per day. Going on 4 months without them now...the only thing that worked for me was to just go cold turkey and drink lots of water...I guess I also replaced them with water and protein shakes.
  • Semperfione
    Options
    Hi there, I just decided on day to stop. And so I did it, just stopped drinking all soda...I did have a reaction to the aspertaine (not getting it) and felt very weird, light headed. So I did drink a diet coke and it took care of the weird feeling. I decided if this is what I feel like after getting off the soda, and had to have it to feel right again it must not be good. I am off it now for good.
  • MikeyStapes
    Options
    In my house, it was soda soda soda. I've gotten away from soda by drinking water mixed with Mio. They have great flavors and it's a 0-calorie beverage that is just flavored water. The hardest part is kicking that caffeine habit. Once you break that barrier, you'll never miss soda again.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I love my mt. dew and unfortunately hate diet pop of any kind so all I can do is completely cut it out of my diet until I'm in the habit of drinking only water, then I'll let pop back in a little every now and again
  • capenron
    Options
    cold turkey is the only way to do it... it's really hard but it can be done!! :):laugh:
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I love Dr. Pepper...the real stuff. I don't drink it however. At 250 calories? No way!

When I started MFP...I went cold turkey off soda. I substituted with iced tea. I have found that if I drink iced tea, I don't crave pop (what we call it here). If I don't drink tea, I'm craving.

I do drink soda now however. It was a trigger food for me. So I started with none, got over my cravings and once I got into a good food habit, added diet soda back in. Diet Pepsi was the only diet drink I could stand. I have one a day. Once in a while, two (if we go out for supper etc). But that's it.

Now they have Dr. Pepper 10...which is amazing! So now I feel like I'm back with an old friend but getting the diet factor.

I don't think diet soda is bad if you aren't chugging a lot of them down or not drinking water. I may have a soda, but I'm still drinking a good 6-10 glasses of water a day.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey once I could replace it with something I enjoyed. Now I'll have a diet soda for special occassions, but primarily I stick to sugar free caffeine free sweet iced tea. My stomach is considerably less bloated, which is a huge plus!
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    I never gave up soda completely (and have no real desire to do so) However, I did cut back on soda. I made it a goal to get in the generally recommended 8 glasses of water each day, before I drink any diet soda. Some days it's so late when I finish chugging the water that I skip the soda entirely and just go to bed.
  • saraella1987
    saraella1987 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    lol. Nice.
  • flamegirl72
    flamegirl72 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I never gave up soda completely (and have no real desire to do so) However, I did cut back on soda. I made it a goal to get in the generally recommended 8 glasses of water each day, before I drink any diet soda. Some days it's so late when I finish chugging the water that I skip the soda entirely and just go to bed.
    I do the exact same thing. Once the daily water goal is met I am free to have a diet soda. Funny thing is now even if I can have one I often opt not to and stick with the H2O. Once you get used to having less you won't crave it as much.