Fiber question

Options
Should I take a fiber supplement like Metamucil? I heard though it kills your good bacteria is this true?if so then how can I get good bacteria? and if I should take Metamucil when should I take it before or after meals? thanks for the help :)

Replies

• malaika1981
    malaika1981 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have recently discovered flax seeds (ground) and how many things they are good for (including fibre)
    i put a couple tbsp in my yogurt in the morning and eat it!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I agree with malaika, natural is better, if you start on things like miralax, they are very helpful but all in all you end up being on them forever!
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    I personally haven't taken a fiber supplement as of yet, however I did actually see this on Dr Oz and he has suggested using it once a day. I would probably take it first thing in the morning but that's just a suggestion.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Oh and eat some oatmeal, drink lots more water that is room temp!
  • rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    i agree about the flaxseed! and eat more fruits and vegetables and drink a lot of water. it's not hard to get fiber naturally.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Metamucil contains psyllium husk, which is a soluable fiber that is very good for you. Some forms also contain a good amount of sugar so be sure to read the label and track the calories. Some are sugar free. If you take any prescription medicines you should check with your doctor because it can interfere with some drugs.
  • Gypsy_MerMom
    Gypsy_MerMom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    flax seed sounds like a deal Im gonna do that thanks everyone
  • kiasmithlewis
    kiasmithlewis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Whatch your flaxseeds, as seeds they last awhile BUT once you ground your flaxseed, you should keep it in the fridge because it will go rancid and make sure you get an organic sourse.... I use one tbsp of ground flaxseed on my cereal, and I bought a coffee grinder and ground up my flaxseeds, put it in a small container (one that doesn't allow light in) and keep in fridge, i don't ground up a lot at a time, that way you don't worry about it going bad..... I store my seeds in the freezer...