Nike Running Shoes... what's the deal?

Options
I'm looking into getting a new pair of running shoes, because I've had the same ones for far too long. I own Nike Reax right now and was hoping to find the same ones. I looked on the Nike website and noticed that they have 3-4 different types of running shoes you can choose from. I had no idea they had those options. So, they have barefoot, neutral ride and stable ride shoes. I guess I'm asking if anyone has info on these different types and what you think would be best for my workout habits. I'm trying to get back into a routine of running cause I enjoy it. I don't know what other contributing factors go into it. I'll be running about 4-5 days a week no more than 3 miles a day.

Replies

• Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store to get fitted properly for your stride and other factors. They will be your best judge of what will work for you and your needs.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    The best advice that I can give you is to go to your local running store and get fitted by one of the folks there. There are far too many variables that come into play for anybody to be able to recommend the best shoe for you without seeing you in person and helping you try on a variety of brands and styles.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    If you want to know which shoe to get, get your running gait analysed. Most running stores will do that for you free of charge. Getting a neutral shoe when you're an over-pronator could be a recipe for injury.
  • Thaea
    Thaea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey, the different types of sneakers are dependant upon what type of stride you have. Barefoot is the "minimalist" option, where it'll feel the most like you're running bare-footed (I use Nike Free TR for strength training and I love them for that- makes you engage more muscles). Neutral shoes are for someone who neither over nor under pronates. Many people over-pronate, where their feet roll inwards. Stability sneakers are for someone who pronates and rolls inwards. You can kindasorta try to figure it out on your own, but your best bet, if you wanna run injury-free, is to go to a running specialty store (not a big chain store, but a specialty one!) and they should check all sorts of things about how you run and be able to recommend the right shoes for you.

A few years ago I had no run technique at all, was a major heel-striker and as a result had terrible pronation, so the running specialty store put me in stability shoes. I spent a season training and correcting my gait and stride and became a mid/forefoot striker, so I now use neutral shoes. The point being, I wouldn't have had any idea which to use either time, had I not had a trained person fit me. Hope that helps :o)
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I agree, though I bought myself a pair of Nike with the insert under the insole for the Nike + chip to keep track of my walks/runs and I love it, most comfortable running shoe I ever bought. I even got a 10% discount from the store I bought it from because I printed out the ad from the nike website and the shoe was cheaper. However because it wasn't the same colors as in the ad they could only discount it 10% but hey, I saved a little. LOL.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I go to a place called the Running Room. They ask you to bring in your old ones so they can see where and how they've worn down in order to determine what are your best options for durability.

they also watch you walk barefoot across the store to see which ways your legs naturally turn. That's also helpful for getting the right type of support.

Since I've been going to them for shoes, its made a world of difference. Not only can I exercise longer without foot, leg or back pain, but they seem to last way better than when I picked on my own.

Maybe there's somewhere near you that would do the same thing?
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above. Go to a running store - the people there usually know what they're doing and will help you find something that works for you.

PERSONALLY I have never much liked Nikes for running. Love their cross-trainers, but I've found there are better options out there for running.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I would never buy something this important online --- unless I had gone to a good shoe store, gotten fitted and know exactly what I need. I personally thought I wanted Nike (I have a Nike+) but I ended up not liking them at all and got New Balance -- and I can still use my Nike+
    go get fitted then look for cheap deals online.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I have no arch in my right foot and an arch in my left :( so I got the stability shoes. I have a lot of pain in my flat foot, so I need the stability.
    I went to Sports Authority and had them help me find a shoe.
    Usually stability is for more support, neutral for high arches.
    It depends on your feet and gait however.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'd also recommend going to your local running store and getting fitted. Not like Finish Line or Sports Authority or something, but an actual running shoe store. The associates will be more in tune with runners, rather than selling sports equipment or the newest Nike shoe (not to say big box store associates don't know anything, I'm sure there are plenty of smart ones out there, somewhere). It's free and will they will help you find the right shoe for your foot. Some of them have video analysis, others will ask you to take your shoes off and just walk in front of them.
    Good luck!
  • Chrissle64
    Chrissle64 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I had no idea that you could go and get specially fitted for running shoes! Now I'm wicked excited to get new shoes! The closest specialty running store is almost an hour away, but it is so worth the trip. Thanks again everyone!! :)