People seeing me running :(

Options

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    When I re-read this thread, I just hear "The see me runnin', they hatin'" which is probably a good attitude to have :laugh:
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    As a runner, I love seeing people run. I don't care if they're big, small, running super fast or being a penguin. Seeing people run makes me smile. Every time.

Also I always look at their shoes to see what they're sporting :)
    Haha, Yup! I also check out their gear - do they have cool shorts? A fun race t-shirt? What kind of headband is she wearing?
    Before I started running, I had the same fear. There is no "pretty" running face. I was also afraid people would think I ran funny, or would know that I was just starting (as if that mattered???). But after I went a few times, I realized that people... don't care! When they do see me, they aren't thinking about how smushed my face is, or how red I am, they are either upset that they aren't out there doing it too, or thinking that it's great that I AM out there.
    If you aren't currently a runner, what do you think when you see people running? Do you give them much thought? Or do you think "Hey, there's a runner! Oh I love this song! What should I make for dinner?"
  • anvacarz
    Options
    As a runner, I love seeing people run. I don't care if they're big, small, running super fast or being a penguin. Seeing people run makes me smile. Every time.

Me too! I give heavier or beginner runner's WAY more credit that seasoned runners. I know what it is like to start out. You are awesome for staring to run. People are looking at you because they are jealous! Keep it up and do it for you.

I have found that runners are the most generous and happy people in the world...and they UNCONDITIONALLY LOVE other runners...no matter the level they're at. They're always encouraging others, no matter their fitness level. They're always happy to give SUPPORTIVE advice...not: "Hey...you're doing this wrong. You should be doing THIS...". I always wanted to be LIKE that...happy and confidant and supportive...

Check this out...

For a long time, when people said: : "Hey, I saw you running.", I always said: "I'm sorry."

Can you BELIEVE that?

I APOLOGIZED...because I knew I was sweaty and gross and parts of me were jiggling and I was breathing hard and all red and...well, you get the idea.

I'm a novice runner about to run her first half marathon. I've trained for months just so I can finish with an AVERAGE time...not a FAST time...AVERAGE. It took me FOREVER to get where I am now. The first time I ran, I sat on the curb after a block and cried.

I think I'll probably cry after my first half-marathon, too...but they'll be different tears.

I don't apologize anymore. I say: "Yeah? Next time, come with me!!"...and it's not because I'm still not red and sweaty and jiggly...I'm still all those things when I run...it's because I'm becoming a runner...and I'm not ashamed...and I'm developing that love for EVERYBODY...

...so don't stop. Don't be embarrassed. If you run into people, and they judge you...they're not REAL runners.

:) I think I may be having an emotional week in general, but this just made me tear up!! Good luck with your first marathon. I'm hoping to run to my first marathon next December (the California International Marathon). And I just realized that I will also be crying like a baby at the finish line.

OP, just run. If you can do it, just go out there and do it. I know that I smile anytime I see a runner. Whether they are flying past me (and everyone flies past me as I am the slowest runner known to man) or I'm crawling past them. The point is, you're doing it. One step at a time. I generally don't say things like "they're just jealous" but in this case, if someone is making you feel bad about your running, they probably aren't runners.
  • ladybug1009
    ladybug1009 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have found that runners are the most generous and happy people in the world...and they UNCONDITIONALLY LOVE other runners...no matter the level they're at. They're always encouraging others, no matter their fitness level. They're always happy to give SUPPORTIVE advice...not: "Hey...you're doing this wrong. You should be doing THIS...". I always wanted to be LIKE that...happy and confidant and supportive...

Check this out...

For a long time, when people said: : "Hey, I saw you running.", I always said: "I'm sorry."

Can you BELIEVE that?

I APOLOGIZED...because I knew I was sweaty and gross and parts of me were jiggling and I was breathing hard and all red and...well, you get the idea.

I'm a novice runner about to run her first half marathon. I've trained for months just so I can finish with an AVERAGE time...not a FAST time...AVERAGE. It took me FOREVER to get where I am now. The first time I ran, I sat on the curb after a block and cried.

I think I'll probably cry after my first half-marathon, too...but they'll be different tears.

I don't apologize anymore. I say: "Yeah? Next time, come with me!!"...and it's not because I'm still not red and sweaty and jiggly...I'm still all those things when I run...it's because I'm becoming a runner...and I'm not ashamed...and I'm developing that love for EVERYBODY...

...so don't stop. Don't be embarrassed. If you run into people, and they judge you...they're not REAL runners.

This is something I really needed to read. I've been feeling the same way as the OP.

Your post made me cry. What an inspiration! :)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Same here! I'm a newbie runner myself and at first I didn't want anyone to see me running but it didn't take long to figure out other runners are not judging me but cheering me on! I love greeting other runners on the trail now! Good for you for getting out there! Don't let what "you think others think" stop you because I'm sure it's just in your head not thier's!!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Did your friends actually say that they think you are a bad runner? Has anyone ever told you that you are a bad runner? Never assume what is going on in people's heads. You will generally be wrong about it. Even if someone did make fun of your running, so what? You enjoy running and that is all that matters. Don't worry about what others think.

I run and I run with lights on, a bright yellow vest and a runners hat. I don't care what anyone thinks of how I look because I enjoy it and I know I am being safe by looking the way I do. Trust me, running before the sun is up, one must take precautions from drivers who have not had their coffee yet.

Don't think that people are being negative about you. You might be surprised that people think very highly of you because you run.
  • TrillianJones
    TrillianJones Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a running guide book which, on the subject of feeling stupid running, says, "just keep your head down and go for it. Not literally, 'cause then you'll probably run into a lamppost. Then people really will notice you".

:laugh:

But yeah, I'm not exactly a seasoned pro at running (still can't help but feel like a fat bird in stretchy pants), but to be honest I've only ever had encouraging nods and smiles from other runners. Although, as we live near a high school, I will admit to avoiding times when the little darlings are roaming about...
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. I've been running for 2 years not, I try to keep it to long lonely roads and always alone. I hate running local races (which I'm doing in 2 weeks) because I hate seeing people I know. My husband is a very well known individual and I work in a field that I know a ton of people as well. I always view it as "does anyone really want to see a fat 40 yo out there" - Then I think about it - I'm not out there for anyone but me. My office walls have my race photos and my clients see them and are all proud of me. I realize when people see me out there running, they are impressed, not viewing me as the fat 40 yo moving slow like I see myself. So now when someone says "I saw you running" I answer "Did I as least look fast" :) I also tell them I'm training for me next race and ask them to sign up with me.

A business connection I've known for years was teasing me a few weeks ago - telling his son, my stride is so short he wonders how I'll ever get anywhere - he was doing it with a good heart - and his son told him I kicked his son's butt (his son is 20 years younger and thinner) in the last local race I ran. So it proves no matter what I look like out there - I'm out there.

I also get teased by my friends that see me running - that everything I wear matches - down to my waterbottles - to those that know me well - they wouldn't expect any different, LOL.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone would think badly of some one running. A friend of mine who does marathons posted on facebook that she saw a very obese lady walking the track while towing an oxygen tank and she said "kudos! it's never too late to change your life!"
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The girl in the "Fitness Singles" ad that sometimes shows on here is the pretty close to the only person I've ever seen look really good running. Because I'm sure she's only taken about three strides before they took her pic. Put a few miles behind her, and she'll be as sweaty and out of breath as any of us.

Running isn't pretty. During my last race, there was a few instances where the head of the pack was so far ahead of us mortals that we passed each other going in opposite directions. Every one of those really fast, really athletic people looked like they were in AGONY! :laugh:
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options

Same here! I'm a newbie runner myself and at first I didn't want anyone to see me running but it didn't take long to figure out other runners are not judging me but cheering me on! I love greeting other runners on the trail now! Good for you for getting out there! Don't let what "you think others think" stop you because I'm sure it's just in your head not thier's!!

How true - you'll find that the other runners really are cheering you on! I do remember the 1st time I saw a friend while running (a marathoner no less), and he actually slowed down on his long run to trot with my for a while and give really great words of encouragement, reminding me of how proud I should be to be out there with the goal of getting fit! Another benefit you'll find if you start a routine of running at consistent days and times, as that folks will even comment about your progress when they see it (or that they missed you when you were not out Saturday morning because you were running a race:flowerforyou: ). Remember, this is about and for YOU!
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    The girl in the "Fitness Singles" ad that sometimes shows on here is the pretty close to the only person I've ever seen look really good running. Because I'm sure she's only taken about three strides before they took her pic. Put a few miles behind her, and she'll be as sweaty and out of breath as any of us.

Running isn't pretty. During my last race, there was a few instances where the head of the pack was so far ahead of us mortals that we passed each other going in opposite directions. Every one of those really fast, really athletic people looked like they were in AGONY! :laugh:

LOL been there when you're puffing away on the last km of a 5k race, and the people who've finished have started running it the other way round!!!! :laugh:
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    No matter how slow you go you are still lapping the people on the couch!

Be proud!!!

This!! I was a non-runner up until a few months ago, and I never gave runners much thought. Now, when I see them running, and I'm not, I get jealous! We all have to start somewhere. Go for it!!!
  • kuechletwins
    kuechletwins Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My husband only runs after dark, because he doesn't want the neighbors to see him.

That is too funny - my hubby does the SAME thing!
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to add that has not already been said, but I am struck by how kind and supportive runners seem to be as a group! Like all of the others, my experience has been the same - fellow runners think that other runners are AWESOME no matter their size or experience level.

To the OP, how can you NOT get back out there feeling good knowing that we all support you and are cheering you on each and every time you lace up?! Go run!!
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    YouTube Phoebe running.

Ha ha - I don't even have to look this up to know what you're talking about. At least you're getting out there! There's some people who are obese at my gym and when I see them I don't think anything other than, "So awesome that they're here working out! Good for them!" (Not saying you're obese by the way, I have no idea what you weigh, I didn't even look at your profile) Even if people did think anything other than she's awesome, who cares? You're doing something great for you and that's what matters!
  • FAVOLOSOMII
    FAVOLOSOMII Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they weren't born running the way they do now. They had to start somewhere too! That's what I always tell myself and move on from there...

Whatever you do, don't give up.
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I tried a 5k a few years ago. It was insanely hot that day and it was brutal. The good runners finished the race and ran back out to run with the rest of us that were completely dying. It was awesome. I also remember the ambulance driver standing at the half way point. My sister and I were bright red and ready to give up. He said "Hey, at least you're in the race. I'm just standing here and I feel like that."
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner but anytime i see someone running, or riding a bike or doing any kind of exercise I always think " good for them!"

I'm always inspired by other people i see out and about, working on getting or staying in shape!
  • Tribonian
    Tribonian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Joined MFP in April, lost 40 lbs., started running in July, finished my first half marathon in September. Have another this weekend then will start training for a full marathon.

Just wanted to add to the chorus of people who have already pointed out that seeing other runners inspires me no matter what kind of shape they're in or what kind of shape they are. I always at least wave at other runners, but the ones who are heavy set always get a broad smile and the V for victory (and word of encouragement if I'm not too winded). To my mind, it is the effort that matters and no one is working harder than they are. I hope you will be as proud of yourself as the strangers who admire you.

Telling kids that their bike helmets look cool is another habit I'm trying to spread.