asda smartprice sgahetti help

Options
ingeh
ingeh Posts: 513 Member
On the packet it says 100g is 147cals (I think) but on here it says its that amount of cals boiled. Do the saying "dry" on the packet mean uncooked or cooked but plain? I did a search on MFP but couldnt find a right answer. Another entry has 100g as about 371cals so im not sure which is right, thanks for any help!

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Dry means uncooked.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti and pasta is usually (1) cup cooked:bigsmile:
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Or 2 oz either way.
  • supergirlsu
    Options
    This is like plain spaghetti like youd put with meatballs etc?
    I always go uncooked weight with pasta. A serving size is normally around 75g. I would say the second figure of 371cals per 100g is the most likely.
    My 75g of wholemeal spaghetti (weighed as dry - not cooked) today was 245cals.
    Pasta gets heavier once its cooked. So i always go on pre cooked weight.

But hey, i could be doing it wrong lol i just go by serving size on side of pack normally lol
  • ingeh
    Options
    should I just go by the 147cals 100g dry that is on the packet then? Seems low to me but the label on all their spaghetti cant be wrong can it?
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Dry means straight out the packet, i always weigh out pasta cos it looks like nothing dry and masses when cooked! Xx
  • lijparsons
    Options
    Usually the nutritional info for pasta is "Dry", meaning before it is cooked. A serving is usually about 85 grams dry, so I weigh it before I boil it. Also, a serving of 85 grams is approx 300 calories, give or take. So, based on what you are saying, I would guess that the 100 grams for 147 cals is probably cooked, because that seems quite low. Hope this helps! :smile:
  • ingeh
    Options
    thanks guys! :wink:
  • 44longcopse
    44longcopse Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is very confusing but I have looked on the pack of tesco value spaghetti which is basically the same and it means that 75g serving of dried pasta is 265 calories or 100g of dried pasta is 350g. The reason I know this is because it says a 75g serving of pasta when cooked weighs 170g. I reckon the calories you mention are for the weight of cooked pasta. Hope this makes sense.