Help me find time to exercise!

Options
I've been reading how much everyone exercises and I don't have the time. I feel like I am slacking. Like I am not doing as much as I can. Maybe some tell me how I can incorporate more exercise in my life.

My day consist of up at 5:00 am to get ready for work. I shower, get dressed and do my hair (blow dry/flat iron) then I wake my child up at 5:30 to feed him get him dressed and out the door by 6:15. Get his babysitter house by 7:00 leave there by 7:15 to get to work by 8:00. Now for the fun part. I work for a Bakery, its a manufactoring plant. I am the receptionist. So I sit on my rear all day long, rarely get up. The phone is constantly ringing. I get an hour for lunch. That is when I try to do all my running around that I can't do after I get my child. Eye brows waxed, pick up things I need from the store, drop off and pick up dry cleaning, post office, pay bills, etc. On top of all that we also do "product testing," not good. We sample bread that gets sent to our suppliers. Mainly bread.
After work 5:30 I go get my child I get home by 7:00. Then bath time, dinner, story, clean up toys, dishes, laundry and maybe I am done by 9pm. By then I am so exhasted I am just ready to get to bed.

Can anyone help me find a time to get a little exercise in, please!

Replies

• Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    What's going on between 5:30 and 7:00?

Also are there any errands you could do on the weekend? Some fo the things you listed doing on your lunch hour could be done on the weekend.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    What's going on between 5:30 and 7:00?

Also are there any errands you could do on the weekend? Some fo the things you listed doing on your lunch hour could be done on the weekend.

Leaves at 6:15 to get to baby sitter by 7
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I don't work outside my home anymore, but I really only sleep about 5 to 6 hr a night. I workout after the kids go to bed, and I get a few things done around the house...ie dishes, laundry, etc..so about midnight! :) Gotta work it in where I can, and thats what works for me.
  • ptrain987
    Options
    maybe look up some chair excercises for you to do while you're at work....or even though you are exhausted by 9pm pop in a work out video/dvd and do it for like 20 to 30 mins...you still get a work out and you still burn calories and you still get ur heart rate up...i work and go to school so days that i have night classes i pop in a zumba dvd and i don't do the whole dvd....i do what i can and then call it quits....sometimes you have to sacrifice
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    How are your weekends looking? 3 days of exercise would be plenty :] Seems like you don't do those errands every single day, so exercise when days are a bit less filled?
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have the same work schedule and a baby as well. I wake up every morning at 4am so I can work out and still not feel rushed with my morning routine. Although I must admit there are morning when I am just exahusted & don't get up at 4am. On those days, after I put my son to bed I do a home workout video. I make a point to make my workouts a priority. Yes I miss days all the time as when you have a baby you can't always plan.

But, I also park my car on the complete opposite side of the parking lot - every litte bit helps :)

On weekends, I take my son for walks. He loves the fresh air. I love the added weight of pushing his carriage.

Hope this helps you out. Good luck!!
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    What kind of chair do you have? (At your job- You could get one of those exercise ball chairs.)
  • smcassaro
    smcassaro Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    That's a hard schedule, I feel for you! Don't underestimate the workout you are getting by doing "bath time, dinner, story, clean up toys, dishes, laundry". If you go into the exercise database, there is a choice for "cleaning, light to moderate effort" & if I was you, I would definately log it.

And as hard as I know it is, you could always get in some exercise after you put your child to bed.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    She's talking about at night. She leaves work at 5:30 to get her child and is home by 7. Maybe she has a long commute? I don't know.

What I would do is set aside 3 days a week where you're going to workout at home. There are a lot of workout dvds that are only 30 mins long. Throw a load of laundry in to wash and hit play on the dvd player. Once you're done, switch the laundry. You don't need to workout for hours to see results.

OR as the other person mentioned - run more errands on the weekends and workout on your lunch hour. The way *I* see it - if you REALLY want it, you'll find the time.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Are there errands that you can do on the weekends instead of during lunch?.. Can you get in a workout after your child goes to bed, but before dishes and other stuff?! Even if it's only like 20 minutes, it's still better than nothing?!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Wake up 30 minutes earlier? There are workouts you can do at home for 20-30 minutes. Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred, for example, is only about 20 minutes long.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    is there anyway that you can incorporate some exercises into your day at work. Can you walk in place, do lunges etc while answering the phone and inbetween customers. Just a suggestion, looks like you have a busy day......
  • Boomerof51
    Boomerof51 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My alarm rings at 4:30 AM so I can use the treadmill or elliptical before I shower. Then 20 to 30 minutes more immediately after work.
  • aprylkemper
    aprylkemper Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Are you married or have family around that could help? If so, it would great if you could ask them to help you out, cover some of the errands or pick up your child or take them a few times a week while you exercise. You could also get a DVD program that you could do in the morning for 30 min or in the evening. I understand your dilemma, I was a single mom of 2 boys and finding the time meant having to be really creative. Also, one lunch hour a week not doing errands will help too. If you could get up earlier 1 or 2 days a week and then find time on the weekend it would be a great start :)

Also, being exhausted at night could be resolved if you popped in a DVD and did some exercise, I guarantee that you would be energized - even if it seems counterintuitive, it really is true.
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    Get up at 4:30 and do 30 day shred. Or anything. If you are going to bed at 9pm...then you can spare 30 minutes of sleep. Another option...While sitting at your desk talking on the phone...do some strength training. Keep weights in your drawer and do 10 reps of curls or anything else to strengthen your muscles.

What I have found over the year I've lost weight...if it is truely important to you...you WILL find the time. I understand being busy...and yet I do it every day.

I'm a mother of 2, I homeschool my kids, I baby sit, I work part-time for an interior decorating company, I am the Director of Youth Ministries at our church, and I am very active in the church. On top of all that, I have my own business as a direct sales consultant. I'm constantly on the go. My children are also very involved and I'm transporting them to many places every day.

Don't let excuses get in the way of you living a healthy life. For every excuse you give, you are holding yourself back.

I wish you the best of luck...and I know that if you truely want to fit in exercise...you'll find a way!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Honestly?

I think you need to prioritise. Eyebrow waxing over exercise? Really? Every day?

You could work out at 2100, you'll probably perk up a bit. Or instead of straightening your hair in the morning, go for a run, and tie your hair back for work.

I put my hair in a bun in the morning. It's tidy, neat and quick to do. I make it a bit prettier by plaiting the ponytail. I also assume you don't work 7 days a week. Hire the baby sitter to cover on a day or 2 for 30/40 minutes more.

Why not go run over lunch? Or go for a brisk walk whilst eating your lunch for example a sandwich. Today I went to the gym over my lunch time. It's entirely possible. People who say they don't have time for exercise are liars! You obviously think you do have some time you just don't know where so I'm more than happy to present some solutions to the problem as you seem to have the right intentions! :)

Try and go easy on the bread! Taste tiny amounts or avoid if at all possible! Make excuses.... something like upset stomach/full/medication or just that you're simply trying to lose a few lbs for your health. If they question your health then...well! etc
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I get an hour for lunch. That is when I try to do all my running around that I can't do after I get my child. Eye brows waxed, pick up things I need from the store, drop off and pick up dry cleaning, post office, pay bills, etc. On top of all that we also do "product testing," not good. We sample bread that gets sent to our suppliers. Mainly bread.

Yup... I automatically can.

You dont get your eyebrows waxed every day, you dont always pick things up at the store every day (I know I dont), you can easily do ONE day for drop off/pick up dry cleaning, you can easily pay your bills through your bank online, Im not sure if you do the post office-thing for work, but.... you DO have plenty of time to walk during your lunch break.

Im curious - are you married? Or with someone? I ask because if you do have someone in your life, there is absolutely NO reason whatsoever the other person cant pitch in and help out. You can easily go to the gym at night, you can get up a little earlier to go to the gym, come home, shower, change, start your day provided there is someone in your life there with you.

Also - is there a requirement to taste test the products at work? If not, STOP! Even if you have to talk with your doctor about getting a letter written that explains "you are under the care of a physician who recommends a -" blah blah blah, and present it to your employer.... Im willing to guarantee you dont have to sample anything... if this is true, they why do you continue to eat?

Ultimately, there is ALWAYS time to get exercise in. Exercise is 10%, YOU are the 90% to complete the equation and make it happen.

I know there are gyms with babysitting facilities right there... give it a shot and take a look around... you may in fact find one! POOF! Even easier that way!

If you can make time to sit at your computer and post a message here, to make time to grocery shop, to make time to pay bills, you definitely can make time to exercise....

keep your spirits up!
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Re-organize your daily routine. There is time to get an exercise in, u just got to find it and not adding an excuse of why you can't, bcuz not enough time. Only you, can change and fit your exercise in. I use to work 2 jobs, take care of my son and STILL get my walking in. You can do this my friend.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Get up earlier! Do a short and sweet video in the morning. You'll feel refreshed and have more energy. As you start to increase your fitness level, do harder videos and get up earlier. I work FT too, at a desk job, but working out is incredibly important regardless.
    Errands on the weekends, or on your way home from work once a week. Go for a walk over lunch - even 20 minutes is something and wont get you too sweaty for the rest of the day.
    Workout with your kid - go for walks, bike rides. I have a toddler, sometimes he doesn't need me to play with him, just being close. So I rock out pushups, situps, planks, squats, crunches etc while he plays blocks.
  • catmom2cj
    catmom2cj Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree with others about doing errands other times and getting in some exercise during lunch. Not every day but 2 to 3 times a week. My lunch break used to be my errand time too until in May I decided it was MY time - the errands will get done eventually. I usually walk for 25 minutes and eat a quick lunch. I also bought a hula hoop and do that while the kids are outside playing in evenings and on weekends. On weekends I do workout video or wii fit while the youngest naps. There are 10 minute workout videos on netflix if you have it. Also some workout apps for iphone that have 5-10 min workouts. Any thing you can do will help. I have a book called 8 minute mornings that I used to do. I just bought Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred on ebay of $7.50. it is supposed to be about 20 minutes. You just have to put your mind to it. I used to say I didn't have time to but now I make time - it's not everyday but I try to at least 2-3 workdays and aim for both Saturday and Sunday (but it doens't always happen)