Haven't run since grade-school....any tips???

Options
I'm pretty sure I haven't run since grade-school.
Except one time when I was in the woods camping with friends and we thought there was a bear coming after us.... but I don't count that since adrenalin and fear is what really made my feet pump.

Anyway, I'd like to start. I have concerns that I'm still on the too-heavy side to run, but I want to try it out anyway.

Any suggestions of what to do, or not do so I don't hurt myself?

Any tips on how to improve?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    I'd start by running with grade school kids!!!! I kid. Try short runs with fast walks. That way if you get winded, you can still keep moving. Eventually you'll get longer on the runs than the walks.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to stretch first! :> Well, that's what I do before starting any physical activity. LOL
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    First.. Make sure your doctor gives you the go-ahead and then make sure you invest in a good pair of shoes!! If you don't you could expose yourself to potential damage. I had severe hip pain, to the point I could barely walk until I bought the proper running shoes.

Second.. start off SLOW!! Do a few minutes of walking with a minute of jogging and each time you go out increase the length of the jog. Speed is not important. You want to build up endurance!! The best way to get started, in my opinion and experience, is to do the walk/jog combo with the goal to increase the length of the jog/run each time!

Good luck.. you can do it!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Number one piece of advice: Start SLOWLY.

You shouldn't worry too much about your weight holding you back, but it is another reason to take things slowly. You need to give your joints a chance to get used to the stress you're putting on them. Start off by running intervals. Your running intervals should be at an easy pace. The guideline is that you should still able to carry on a conversation while running. Run only EVERY OTHER day. The Couch to 5K program is a good one to get you started but you don't even need to follow something regimented. Run for 30 seconds and walk for 2 minutes, then do it again until you're tired. Slowly build up your running intervals and decreasing your walking intervals. Whether or not you choose to transition to straight running is up to you but I've chosen to continue in intervals and I find that my pace is faster overall this way.

Number two piece of advice: Wear good shoes. You don't need to go out and buy a fancy pair of $100 running shoes right off the bat but you do need to make sure that what you are wearing isn't causing any knee, ankle or foot pain. It isn't normal for any of these places to hurt unless you have a pre-existing injury. If they do, stop running. At that point, look into new shoes or slow down. (I ran for the first few months in cross trainers, not running shoes, and had absolutely no issues.) By the time you're running more than 3 miles or so at a time, you'll definitely want to be in new running shoes for which you've been professionally fitted at a running store.

Last piece of advice: Have fun!
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Don't overdue it or you might get discouraged. Go in knowing that you maybe only able to run a short time. Do as much as you can before you get tired and then walk briskly. Once you regain your breath, run again. Repeat rinse. This is how I did it. Now I run 6 or 7 miles at any given stretch.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    l'd look into the Couch to 5K program.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • ohraspberries13
    Options
    Stretch after too!
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Google C25K (couch to 5k)...it has helped me and many others start running. Its a run/walk program.

Also get properly fitted for running sneakers.
  • hera933
    Options
    Baby steps. I wouldn't/didn't start with all out *running* but jogging with baby steps. Doesn't have to be that fast or hard, and it's easier on your knees to build up to running that way. And Couch to 5k is a good guideline too.
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I would suggest following a learn to run program - c25k, or something similar.

You start off slow and should be able to run a full 5K in 9 weeks.

You can do it!!

Proper footwear and a good interval timer watch are a must!
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K program is perfect for you!!!!

Just go to www.coolrunning.com and click on the Couch to 5K button and you're on your way!

I just completed my first half marathon this weekend, and I started with this program!
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    On week 7 of c25k and before this I hadn't ran for exercise umm- ever
  • AlexandraR2011
    AlexandraR2011 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Get good shoes and remember it GETS EASIER! When you get tired and feel like you cna't run anymore just remember if you stick with in, in a couple of weeks you'll be surprised on how much easier it gets
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    l'd look into the Couch to 5K program.

I've heard this is a good program but have never tried it myself. what ever you do start out slow and work your way up. I started out on the treadmill and have since graduated to 5 - 6 mile runs and Love it!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Start off slow and gradually work your way up. If you give your body time to adjust to what you're doing, I think you'll be just fine. I NEVER thought I'd be able to run - especially with steel rods (spinal fusion) in my spine. But, I started off slowly and worked my way up (didn't know about the couch to 5k program when I started running....). It takes time, but if you do it right? You'll be just fine. :)

Make sure you have GOOD shoes to run in - don't wear some cheapy shoes from Payless. You'll need good shoes with support in them. I suggest going to a running shop and being fitted for shoes. Take an old pair of sneakers so they can look at the bottom (they'll be able to see how you walk based on the wear on the soles) of them. Also, they'll watch you walk/run and recommend shoes that will match your stride. :) They are pricier than normal shoes, but sooo worth it.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I hate running, can't do it to save my life. I started doing the Couch 2 5K and it actually does work. I can run for 15 minutes straight now. I don't enjoy it, but I can do it. I ran one day outside and hated it. I'm one of those odd people who would rather run on a treadmill. It cushions my steps so I don't get shin splints and the pace is the same. I'd definitely recommend the C25K as a way of starting up.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Pretend zombies are running after you: www.runforyourlives.com
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your great suggestions.
    I'm getting excited with the prospect i can actually do this.
    You guys are awesome!
    :flowerforyou:
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I just checked out the zombie, run for your life site - very very COOL!!!!
    Im not ready for that this year, but its something to look forward to for maybe next year, or the year after.
  • cmpace
    cmpace Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Check out the website I included. I set a goal for my self to run a 5k in May or June this year. I haven't run since high school. This has helped me start. You CAN do it!