Everytime I start low-carbing I get pimples

Options
I don't get it! I've read that low carbing is supposed to make your skin better. When I ate carbs, I had perfect skin!

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Stop doing low-carb? More fruits and vegetables! They are good for you and your skin! :flowerforyou:
  • gcineas
    gcineas Posts: 121
    Options
    HI!! I'm the opposite. My skin is now flawless! It's great :). And my hair is growing faster than it has before. I realize correlation doesn't mean causation but boy am I happy. Are you changing something else in your diet that might be causing this?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Do you eat more dairy when you "low-carb"?
  • mrsredneckmorris
    mrsredneckmorris Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I find whenever I clean up my diet...I break out. It seems to me that our bodies start to detoxify and clean out all the junk in our systems. It always clears up after a few weeks if I keep away from the crap food.
  • gcineas
    gcineas Posts: 121
    Options
    Stop doing low-carb? More fruits and vegetables! They are good for you and your skin! :flowerforyou:

She never said she doesn't eat fruits and veggies. Regardless. Maybe increase your water uptake?
  • miam4nia
    miam4nia Posts: 137 Member
    Options

yes? how does more dairy affect your skin?
  • mznicoleg
    mznicoleg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    try using witch hazel on your face it is a good toner..
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you start? Your body may still be adjusting. I've been doing it for two months and my skin isn't really any better or worse. It probably varies by the individual :smile:
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    It's not the low carbs..it's oil build up.
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You may have a mild food allergy that you didn't even know existed. When you were eating less it wasn't as noticeable
  • ptrain987
    Options
    i don't drink juice, soda or anything with calories, fat....blah blah ya'll get the picture.....PURE WATER HERE!! and my skin clears up...even my dad noticed...now when i started exercising i got a pimple...but i think that was from the sweat but after that, i didn't have any break outs....some foods you eat clogs your pores u might wanna look it up
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options

From wikipedia, where you can find references: A high glycemic load diet (a diet high in sugar) is associated with worsening acne.[25] There is also an association between the consumption of milk and the rate and severity of acne.[25][26] Other associations such as chocolate and salt are not supported by the evidence.[25] However, products with these ingredients often contain a high glycemic load.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I find whenever I clean up my diet...I break out. It seems to me that our bodies start to detoxify and clean out all the junk in our systems. It always clears up after a few weeks if I keep away from the crap food.

I wouldn't classify carbs as "junk" or crap food. Simple carbs sure...
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    How long have you been low-carbing? I found my skin got horrible and then cleared right up after a few weeks.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Ask any dermatologist and they'll tell you that your skin will get worse before it gets better as all of the bacteria works its way to the surface. I know I've always noticed that happens when I started a new skin care regimen. Give it a few weeks. My skin is definitely better eating fewer carbs. Before anyone asks, yes I still get acne in my mid-40s. ::sigh:: (But I also don't have any wrinkles to speak of, so I guess it's a trade off!)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    It's not the low carbs..it's oil build up.

Oil doesn't have anything to do with it.

Sounds like the OP's body is detoxing and possibly a mild food allergy.

One way to test this is remove the dairy for 2 weeks to 30 days and see if it gets better. If it does, then you know that the dairy is causing it.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about pimples, I get them occasionally but haven't noticed them becoming any better or worse since starting the low-carb lifestyle. That's probably an individual metabolism thing.

I have, however, noticed that my hair & nails are stronger and thicker. I had hair down to my knees when I was younger, and made the mistake of cutting it, and then after that it would never get any longer than the middle of my back. But in the past six months, it's down to my waist again. :smile: I've also noticed that my skin looks more healthy: less dry, more healthy color, more full, younger. I'm pushing 40, and got carded the other day! :laugh: I'm pretty sure that's all because I'm finally eating enough protein & fat. Skin & hair cells like that stuff.

I'd hang in there, maybe it's just a transitional thing. Take all that sugar you aren't eating any more, mix it with a little olive oil & make a nice exfoliating facial scrub. :smile: Good luck!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

One of my MFP friends says dairy makes her break out really bad and that it is pretty common. I've contemplated trying to limit my dairy consumption to test this but I love milk and cheese.
  • lolomichelle13
    lolomichelle13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

One of my MFP friends says dairy makes her break out really bad and that it is pretty common. I've contemplated trying to limit my dairy consumption to test this but I love milk and cheese.

I hear ya. I love milk and cheese too... granted I'd love a little clearer skin, but man I don't think I could give it up. I mean I could, but I don't want too!! LOL
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Hair doesn't shed when you are ketosis, your body is surviving so it doesn't shed, just like when you are pregnant. A lot of people seem to thin out a bit when they come out of it though.