HELP ME :/

Options
I want to start working out today,when I walk in the gym I have NO idea where to start! any suggestions for my work out? My goal is to loose 130 in less then a year, and I have been inspired by that TV show "I use to be fat" on MTV, but I need some guidance HELP!

Replies

• ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    im no expert, but i usually stretch then do a cardio (usually and elliptical) then do weights and if im up to it walk a mile on the treadmill. great job on getting started for your goal! :)
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Here's my two cents. If I were in your shoes, I would concentrate on cardio and diet. The diet calculators on here are fantastic. Use them religiously. Most treadmills will tell you how many calories you've burned. I try to burn at least 400 a day and then I hit the workout room. All in all, if you stick to this site and work out 4 to 5 times a week, you should start seeing result relatively soon,
  • mfpgeezy
    Options
    elliptical is a godsend for cardio and great workouts! good luck on your journey!
  • Faery7
    Faery7 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    What kind of things do you like to do? Do you like cardio or do you like weights? Have you tried them before? I don't know where you are as far as being fit goes... cause you can be overweight and still more fit than those little tiny girls out there hehe. For me, I started with the treadmill. I'd walk to warm up and then jog as long as I could, then walk, and repeat. I would log how far I'd go each day in miles, and then try to beat that the next day in the same amount of time.
    I'd say don't push yourself too hard becuase you can easily burn yourself out while you're "finding your way" so to speak. I'm now doing the 30 day shred dvd by Jillian Michaels, this is because I don't like weights, and this dvd allows me to get my strength training. You might want to check it out, it's only about $9 at walmart.

Whatever you decide to do, STICK WITH IT! It won't be easy if you aren't used to it, but trust me... that first time you get an exercise high where you feel SO proud of yourself for pushing yourself and accomplishing something will make it all worth it. There's nothing like that feeling for me. :)
  • MissNothin
    Options
    I would say start out with 20/25 minutes of cardio, something like running, cross trainer or bicycle, same at the end :) In between do something for your legs, a little bit for your arms, stomach, you know everything else :)
  • CarolineSuzanneSmith
    Options
    My advice: start on the treadmill or some other type of cardio machine that is fairly easy to use. Try walking/exercising at a pace that is comfortable, yet a little challenging--something that you feel is getting your heart rate up.

Then, if you want to start weights, watch what some of the other people are doing around the gym on the weight machines, or what they are doing with free weights. I have been known to run and watch people exercise (sounds like I'm a creeper...but I'm not!!)..and watching what other people are doing helps give me inspiration for a new move that I can do.

And, if all else fails, ASK somebody that works at the gym how to use a machine. That's what they are there for! Don't be shy, just get out there and do it....at the end of the day, everybody is in the gym trying to do the same thing: be healthy.

Best of luck to you!! You can do it!
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone that works at the gym you can ask/talk to? I don't use a treadmill so I'm not sure;however, when I walk outside I usually start with some jumping jacks to warm up then set off at a very brisk pace. The path I walk has varying degrees of incline/decline and I usually walk about 3 miles in under an hour. Hope this helps>
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When I started this journey in April 2010, I'd never been to a gym before (well, unless you count that time I walked into Gold's Gym and took one look at all the "hard bodies" and walked back out!). I wasn't sure where to start or what some of the machines did. Looking back, I should have ASKED the staff for help, but I didn't want to seem like I was dumb - so I went straight to the treadmills. I mean.. can't go wrong with that, right?

I did the treadmill for a long time until I was finally comfortable and confident enough to venture to the back where the machines/weights were. Then I just went from machine to machine, read the instructions and did it.
  • xinahay123
    Options
    Does your gym offer any classes? These are a great way to get some cardio in and not be bored to tears on the treadmill.

As far as a weight routine, there are some aps for smart phones that will give you suggestions for routines. Or if it is in the budget, you might want to hire a personal trainer for a few sessions, and have her/him help you come up with a routine to do for a while.

Also I subscribe to a few fitness magazines, they always have ideas. Don't be discouraged! You can do this!!

Feel free to friend me if you want!
  • CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You could do a rotation... Walk to get your blood pumping.. stretch.. then do some of the resistance training which burns tons of cals. :) Then again.... me I just belly dance and use a 5 pound dumbell.. I have like 20 lbs to lose though.. Maybe more I'm gonna go by mirror instead of scale so I don't know exactly how much so I'm setting small goals. I'm at 207.5 and my first goal is to get to 190. :)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest making a plan for 2-3 days of cardio and two days of weights. But beyond that, it's really just what you like and what will keep you going back. Some people swear by classes (Zumba, step, etc) but I've got two left feet. Cardio machines are all good (I like the treadmill and the stationary bike) but other people would be bored to tears. My husband loves the elliptical machine. So whatever you find exciting and is within your body's ability (maybe you have bad knees, etc).

As an aside, I wouldn't plan on getting to your goal in "less than a year" - that would require you to sustain a loss of over 2.5 pounds a week every week. You will probably be able to do that in the beginning since you have a lot to lose, but as you get closer to your goal it's going to be near impossible to lose 2.5lbs a week and you're going to end up frustrated and/or disappointed.
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd hire a personal trainer from the gym. Tell them what it is you want to do, and then they'll familiarize you with the equipment and give you a workout plan. Hopefully they'll be able to lead you down the right path!
  • jame_104
    jame_104 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Here's my two cents. If I were in your shoes, I would concentrate on cardio and diet. The diet calculators on here are fantastic. Use them religiously. Most treadmills will tell you how many calories you've burned. I try to burn at least 400 a day and then I hit the workout room. All in all, if you stick to this site and work out 4 to 5 times a week, you should start seeing result relatively soon,

Completly agree. Started in January just walking on the treadmill at first for half and hour. Once that became almost easy I went to the elipticals,other cardio machines and then running. Don't push yourself too hard at first, you will get sore and quit. Just remember you didn't put the wieght on overnight, it isn't going to come off that way either.
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i work out 7days a week now...my day off is a 2 mile run. it took me a long time to get used to doing what i do now...my knees used to kill, and other parts were just ridiculous..

i always run 1.5miles then weight train for about 40min, then i finish with another 1.5 mile run....all in all its about a 90min workout 6days per week with my seventh being just running 2miles..

this works for me, but i know others just go maybe 3 or 4 times per week...i get pumped up and my mood is affected if i dont go.

in my sig on my profile says "Running burns fat like a Hummer burns gas"...i live by it and am enjoying my new body each and every day.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    Options
    Completly agree. Started in January just walking on the treadmill at first for half and hour. Once that became almost easy I went to the elipticals,other cardio machines and then running. Don't push yourself too hard at first, you will get sore and quit. Just remember you didn't put the wieght on overnight, it isn't going to come off that way either.
    [/quote]

So very true
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    Options
    [/quote]

So very true
  • Schwiggs
    Schwiggs Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Start small. Some gyms offer a free consultation with a personal trainer. This might be a good idea. I'd encourage you to do resistant training sooner rather than later (my biggest regret), however cardio is the easiest place to start because there's less chance of injury and less complications of knowing correct form.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Start light :)

When I first started hitting the gym, the exercise bikes were the easiest for me. Work at your own pace and don't push yourself too hard...try to gradually increase your resistance and timing.

If you have any knee or ankle pain, the elliptical machine are great too. Plus you're working at your own pace, as opposed to a treadmill.

The rowing machine will help to work all of your muscles as well, plus it's so easy you don't even realize you're getting a nice burn.

As for strength training, it all depends on what you're comfortable with. Start with lower weights and don't do a crazy set of reps if you're new to the idea.

OH!! And above all else: Make sure you wipe down all of your machines as soon as you're done using them! There are many diseases and illnesses that can be spread with mystery sweat. You don't want that crazy girl hunting you down and demanding you clean up after yourself...
  • Thanks for the input. I too have absolutely no clue where to begin. I've just been doing the treadmill cause 3 min on the elliptical seemed like torture lol
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options

With as much as you'd like to lose, cardio and diet are going to be your best bet for a while. The important thing is to "Just Do It".