Ankle Problems

Options
How can you tell the diference between sore ankles or a stress fracture?

Do i need new shoes and some ankle support or do i need to stay off these ankles for a bit?

They both hurt when stepping down jumping, or running/jogging of any sort?

Need more info? or can i get some help based on that?

Thanks Everybody!!

Replies

• overzoelous
    overzoelous Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problems until I bought new shoes a few days ago. I've been wearing them to class (instead of flip flops-i usually walk to school) and I haven't experienced any pain. I worked out 2 days ago and the pain wasn't nearly as bad as it usually is (but then again my ankle was hurting all day because I work 4 inch heels all night the night before ha). Hope my rambling helps!
  • Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Does it feel more like a muscular or ligamental pain? Any recent changes in your physical activity or increase in intensity/pace/distance? Are you over training? Does it throb or ache? Better or worse in the morning? What part of the ankle is hurting?

Rest
    Ice
    Compress-->Wrap it up snugly in an ace wrap
    Elevate
    NSAIDs as necessary to help with analgesia/swelling
    Stay off of it for a few days

I think ice is highly underrated by some people. It's good to ice several times a day for 15-20 minutes.

Did you recent roll or turn your ankle? Or start having pain or discomfort during a work out?
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    For now follow the RICE option set out by Halothane. It's a good way to help fix some immediate problems. I would go get a $10 ankle support brace from the drugstore to help support your ankle.

If you have had your shoes for over a year or just started up with a new sport, I would go to a sports store and get new shoes and see how that helps.

And stop jumping for a while. Scale back to walking or some slow jogging until your ankles heal.

If it's still bad in a couple of weeks, then go see an orthopedic doctor, there might be something seriously wrong.
  • sjbenefield
    Options
    Overzealous: Hahaha yes it did thank you

Halothane: I wanna say its more like a ligamental pain. Ive recently started a running regimine, but i believe the pain started in one ankle after stepping down wrong on some stairs and then stepping wrong again later that same day. It does not throb or ache but more of a sharp pain if i run/jog, step down stairs, or jump of any kind. Its the same throughout the day only triggered by the activities i mentioned. As far as what part of the ankle it is all i can describe it as is the nub on the outside of your foot. Both ankles hurt, but i believe its because one is trying to compensate for the other.

Becca: Thank You (secretly hate doctors though ;) )