I'm feeling defeated

Options
Now I know that none of us are weight loss experts but I don't know where else to turn right now so I'm just gonna put this out here and see if anyone has any help/suggestions/comments, anything for me!

A little over a year ago I started doing weight watchers.. I had recently graduated from college and put on some serious lbs, around 35. In about 8 months I dropped almost 25lbs and that was with eating right and sporadic visits to the gym. I wanted to get more serious about working out because I knew that last 10-15lbs would be the hardest and I also wanted to tone up. So, about two months ago I decided to begin doing p90x. I wanted to follow it to the T so I began following their diet plan and getting my butt kicked by the workouts everyday. A month later and I had actually gained a few lbs. I tried not to get too discouraged because I knew that I was gaining muscle from the weight excercises I had been doing and a lot of women I talked to that had gone through the program said the first month it was normal to not see weight loss. It still didn't make sense though.. I was eating right and working out everyday burning tons of calories, and I'm gaining weight? I decided that I was eating too many calories, I was eating a lot more than I had been following weight watchers so the past couple weeks I cut back my calorie intake... not drastically, I was eating around 1800 before and I cut it down to around 1500.

Long story short, I've gained weight yet again. I'm so frustrated and feeling so defeated because it just doesnt make sense. I'm eating right and working out, the perfect combo to losing weight and I'm gaining? I lose almost 25lbs eating right and then I add in excercise and the scale begins moving in the opposite direction? It just doesn't make any sense. Where is my motivation to keep going? I dont want to stop working out, I want to finish the 90 days of the program and continue working out even after that because I like the way that it makes me feel but my goal is to lose weight... I just dont know what to do.

Oh and please don't suggest to measure my weight loss in other ways... I know that you can lose inches and not lose pounds... but I've measure that as well and its just as disappointing.. does anyone have any idea what the heck could be going on with me and this non cooperative body of mine??

Replies

• GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Have you talked with your doctor? There could be a medical reason you are continuing to gain.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Can't really tell you what you're doing wrong.

But keep your head up and keep trying.
    There's been a lot of days/weeks where I've felt down on myself.
    It sucks to put in hard work and not see the progress you feel like you deserve. But use that as motivation.
    Get pissed off, not sad. And use that frustration as fuel to keep doing your thing.

Best of luck.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you for sure why you aren't losing. But, I can tell you that it is possible you aren't eating enough. I know it sounds ridiculous, but when I don't eat enough? I gain weight. It isn't a quick, overnight gain (which is usually water retention) but a slow - over the course of a week or two gain. Once I start eating more, the weight comes right back off. Weird, huh? I've asked about it and really? No one has any explanation as to why my body does it, but it does. If I consume 2200-2500 NET calories a day, I am fine. If I go under 2200, I will see a slow gain.

It's the weirdest thing, but I just make sure I eat in my normal range and I'm fine.

Also, make sure you're drinking enough water.
  • deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I haven't lost any new inches in over a month. It's just frustrating. I totally understand - you're doing the hard work, eating right and STILL aren't seeing the right results. Bodies are weird (for lack of a better term), so you've just got to figure out what makes yours happy. Maybe you're working it too hard? Sorry I don't have a better answer. :-(
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    How are your clothes fitting? What does the tape measure tell you? Are you getting enough water in? Are you tired/hungry? Be careful of eating to few calories with heavy exercise, your body could go into starvation mode.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    How much are you gaining exactly? If it is a few pounds then it is possible you are retaining water in your sore muscles after an intense workout. That is how they repair themselves. I rarely workout. So when I do the next day I weigh 4-5 pounds more EVERY single time. I drink extra water for a few days and flush out the excess. Then I am down to my usual weight, or less!
  • ManderG03
    ManderG03 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I REALLY DNT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING WRONG. BUT YOUR AT THE RIGHT PLACE! MFP IS AMAZING!!! I AM WAY OVERWEIGHT AND ALL I HAVE BEEN DOING IS LOGGING IN WHAT I EAT ON HERE, DRINKING WATER AND WALKING A MILE, AND I HAVE LOST 7LBS IN 6 DAYS! THIS SITE IS AMAZING!! GOOD LUCK AND KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I feel like people respond to different diets differently, so I'm curious as to why you stopped the weight watchers, which was working for you - is there a reason you can't go back on WW and see what happens when you've incorporated the exercise in?
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Don't focus on the scale so much... Perhaps go by how your clothes feel and how you feel. P90X is proven to work... So as long as you are eating right and doing the program you will see results. It may just take awhile. GOOD LUCK!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I lose almost 25lbs eating right and then I add in excercise and the scale begins moving in the opposite direction? It just doesn't make any sense.

You have changed your routine, all bodies react to change differently, for me it is to gain and stay the same weight for weeks, if they are smaller gains, my guess is water retention.

Are you taking a rest day? Are you watching your sodium intake? Have you talked to a Dr? I have incredible issues losing weight due to an underactive thyroid gland when I first gained weight (almost 12 years ago) I was doing everything right and still gaining, turns out my thryroid was not working properly.
  • PandaLinky
    Options
    Thanks so much for the responses everyone, I really appreciate it!!
  • lisakatelaunspach
    Options
    Are you not gaining muscle ? Its could be why your not 'losing' on the scale. Also I watched an episode of oprah where they were explaining that if you haven't really exercised in a while and then start sometimes for the first month or two your body is in 'shock' and will sometimes hold on to water until it gets used to more daily activity.