high protein low calorie food choices?

Options
I never seem to get all the protein and fat I'm allowed in my daily food allowances and yet I struggle with the # of calories. Anyone know what foods offer HIGH Protein and LOW calories?

Replies

• superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are very low in calories, but offer a lot of protein. Any lean meats will also be high in protein, lower in calories.
  • amydorscheid
    Options
    non fat greek yogurt
  • RickinNH
    RickinNH Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are very low in calories, but offer a lot of protein. Any lean meats will also be high in protein, lower in calories.

+1
  • agwilker
    agwilker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Tuna, Greek yogurt...um...
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Protein drink mixes are a great option
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Fish
  • Janice1109
    Options
    Egg whites. I boil them first thing in he morning so I have them handy when I'm hungry
  • ElementalMoe
    ElementalMoe Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Tuna, chicken, turkey, chick peas, beans, tofu, low fat cottage cheese, low fat yogurt, halibut, salmon, & whole grain foods.
  • time2shine29
    time2shine29 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk light is good tasting and only has 100 calories and higher protein, lower carbs etc.
  • ttrotter1960
    Options
    Chicken breast
    Lean cuts of beef
    Fish! tuna is my fav and fairly inexpensive
    Egg Whites
    Low fat yogurts

. . . . And you can always supplement your diet with a LOW CALORIE protien powder like Myoplex lite ($$).
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    The best one I can think of is boneless, skinless chicken breast. For one, it's dense, as opposed to egg whites which are slightly more calories for the same amount of protein.

Chicken breast is .21g of protein per calorie.
    Albacore Tuna is .23g of protein per calorie, as are egg whites.

If I want to eat alot I know I can go straight to chicken breast as I can grill them with no butter / oil etc and eat them plain without sale or anything else. Tuna, yes I love it but I personally need a little bit of mayo to mix with it.
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cottage cheese.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Eggs (the whole egg) are also fine, about 70 calories for an egg and the yolk is what contains most of the vitamins -- A, D, and E and all the choline and omega 3s (since thats where the fat is). You can do one full egg and then 2 egg whites for a lower calorie option that still has some of the nutrition.

low fat cottage cheese is really good when you are sick of meat, but as others have said Tuna and chicken are basically the best bang for your calorie dollar - protein wise. I get sick of eating so much of it though -- since most people don't like tuna dry you can mix it with brown mustard and if you need a little more creamyness add just a DAB of mayo to the mustard as well. That usually does fine for me (I just eat it with brown mustard). mustard is very low cal for the flavor it packs.
  • Brendathomas57
    Options
    Thanks everyone who answered my question. Sounds like I'll be going shopping for more:
    Greek non fat yogurt, Chicken breast, tuna, eggs, lowfat cottage cheese, and tofu.