17 Day Diet?!

Hello Everyone,

I don't know about you...but for me, sometimes it is hard to know exactly what really IS healthy diet food. I find myself asking- what kinds of foods are good for my metabolism? When should I eat certain foods? How can I eat healthily but still enjoy eating? And most importantly- What should I eat to help me lose the most weight healthily? I asked my sister if she had any advice for me, because she has recently lost a ton of weight and has been able to keep it off for a few months now. She began explaining the 17 day diet to me...now normally I'm not really into actual-restricted/planned out diets, but this one seems not only managable but also extremely effective. The idea is to reset your metabolism by retraining your body by "confusing" it through diet. The diet has a series of 17 day cycles. First, the cycles almost completely limits your carbohydrate intake and as the diet continues, it becomes less restricted and by the end, you can eat all of your favorite foods again. (and ideally be able to keep the weight off!!) My sister and her friends tried this and each lost 10+ lbs in the first cycle. They started in May and have been able to keep all of the weight off since then. Christina (my sister) has lost 30+ lbs and is still going :) She claims to have more energy and has created much healthier eating habits. I am thinking that this diet combined with MFP could be a rockin combo. I am starting this tomorrow but if anyone else would like to join me I would love to share the experience and create a sort of support group online! If you are still skeptical, check out this website http://www.everydiet.org/diet/17-day-diet. The book is pretty cheap and it can be purchased used for even cheaper. Anyone in?!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Unless it's something you are planning to do forever I would just try to eat healthier and watch portion size.
  • becca_21
    becca_21 Posts: 100 Member
    Unless it's something you are planning to do forever I would just try to eat healthier and watch portion size.

Actually, I've read a lot about the 17 day "diet" and it's not something you have to stick with for the rest of your life. It serves as a change of lifestyle by teaching you how to eat properly. People who don't really understand what they are putting into their mouths and why they aren't necessarily getting the results they want, would like this book. It's not meant to be a fad diet. It's meant to be a method of changing the way you look at the food that you eat.
  • KettyLan
    KettyLan Posts: 440 Member
    Don't know much about the 17 day diet, but the way you explained it, is something that I would like to do.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Well.. my friends and I haven't achieved our awesomness with 17 day diets... or fasts, or cleanses, or miracle pills, or diarrhea drinks, or shakeweigts, or anything silly like that.

How about you step away from the dark side, and check out our simple "eating food, and excersisng" techniques?
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Well.. my friends and I haven't achieved our awesomness with 17 day diets... or fasts, or cleanses, or miracle pills, or diarrhea drinks, or shakeweigts, or anything silly like that.

How about you step away from the dark side, and check out our simple "eating food, and excersisng" techniques?
    :drinker: <---real beer.:bigsmile:
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member

How dare you be honest on the forum! What are you thinking?

OP, seriously girl, you don't need fad diets or to waste your money on books. All the information you need can be found for free on the internet, in your public library, or at any of numerous free clinics around the country. All it takes is the proper balance between calories in, calories out, and the will to stick with it.

Cheers.
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member

I choked at 'diarrhea drinks and shakeweights', lol!!!! :bigsmile:

To OP: Are you not having any success eating sensibly, tracking calories and exercising?
  • Hello....Ive heard about it before and sounds like something I would do, but don't have much info about it, so if you can get with me on that, I would be glad to walk hand in hand with you on this one :happy:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    If you use it as a way to learn more about food, it could be helpful. If you haven't had many healthy foods in your diet, you may learn about and try foods you haven't had before. I read the book, and don't think there is anything harmful in this plan. I wouldn't buy any supplements or any special 'packaged' foods though.
  • tulip07
    tulip07 Posts: 167 Member
    I have been on the 17 day diet for a few weeks and have lost about 11 pounds (lost 9 in the first 17 day cycle, then went on vacation, gained 3 and didn't know where exactly I was. So I just restarted the diet. 9th day now and lost 5 already).

I have never followed a restriced diet myself, but this one, this is definitely a great diet plan for people who don't know what foods help with weight loss. I also have so much more energy it's unbelievable! I work full-time, have 2 little kids, a husband and a house to take care of and all of that running around through the day doesn't seem to tire me like it did before!

Also there are no supplements or special food to buy. All you need to do is buy the book, read it, go shop for lean protein, veggies, fruits, healthy fats, green tea etc and start!
  • I'm in it with you Gretchen; I started today!

If you really want to use it to jump start a healthier lifestyle, then just ignore the haters! They're lucky in that they have self control and can just eat healthy and work out and maintain healthy lifestyles .. if you're struggling to get there and see potential success of 17DD being the jumpstart and confidence boost you needed -- then do it!

Let's get healthy together!
  • Well.. my friends and I haven't achieved our awesomness with 17 day diets... or fasts, or cleanses, or miracle pills, or diarrhea drinks, or shakeweigts, or anything silly like that.

That's what is great about this diet- It's actually healthy and quite far from "the dark side" :) Its not a crash diet, or a miracle pill, and no..it is not a diarrhea drink- its nothing like that, in fact. I get that eating healthy and exercising is all you need in the long run but the point of this program is to retrain the body to WANT to make those healthy decisions naturally. It resets your metabolism and sets you up for long-term healthy habits. These types of things aren't everyone's style, though, so just keep doin' what you're doing I'm glad you and your friends have achieved awesomeness.
  • I'm in it with you Gretchen; I started today!

If you really want to use it to jump start a healthier lifestyle, then just ignore the haters! They're lucky in that they have self control and can just eat healthy and work out and maintain healthy lifestyles .. if you're struggling to get there and see potential success of 17DD being the jumpstart and confidence boost you needed -- then do it!

Let's get healthy together!

haha YES! haters back off lol
  • To all who are joining- heck yes. Lets do this thing! I have just started day one and it hasn't been bad at all so far. Surely, come Saturday I'll be aching for some peanut butter toast but resisting is going to be so worth it! I know I am someone who benefits with hearing about other people's success and keeping in touch to help each other out when need be. If you are too, then lets try to support each other through this and share our success!

Like "Kristizzle" (<--cute) said back there lets forget about the haters. Diet and exercise help you lose weight?! No WAY, thank you for that.. Ha, sometimes it just spices things up a bit to have something specific to stick to.

Here we go.
  • Hello....Ive heard about it before and sounds like something I would do, but don't have much info about it, so if you can get with me on that, I would be glad to walk hand in hand with you on this one :happy:

17 Day Diet

The 17 Day Diet was created by Dr. Mike Moreno, a family practice physician in California. After being featured on The Doctors TV show and Dr. Phil it has rapidly become one of the hottest weight loss plans of the moment.

Initially Dr. Moreno designed the diet to help people to prevent weight gain or lose any extra pounds gained during the holidays. But the diet can be used any time during the year to assist with the rapid and effective release of excess weight.

The diet involves a series of 17 day cycles with adjustments in the composition of the foods you eat. Moreno suggests that a weight loss of 10-12 pounds is possible in the first 17 days. He cites recent research showing that rapid weight loss does have long and short-term advantages over the slow weight loss approach.
    17 Day Diet Basics

The 17 Day DietIn basic terms the 17 Day Diet is a carbohydrate cycling diet whereby you adjust your intake of carbohydrates in accordance with whatever phase of the diet you are in. At certain times you will follow a very low carbohydrate diet, while at others you can enjoy specific foods that are higher in carbohydrates.

According to Dr. Moreno, this has the effect of confusing your metabolism and enhancing the rate at which you are able to lose weight. It also can help to reduce the frustration and boredom that is generally associated with long-term dieting.

The 17 Day Diet includes four cycles:

* Accelerate
    In this initial phase you dramatically reduce your intake of carbohydrates to promote fat burning, cleansing and rapid weight loss.
    * Activate
    This 17 Day Diet phase involves carbohydrate cycling, which has the purpose of resetting your metabolism to stimulate fat burning and prevent plateaus.
    * Achieve
    You reintroduce some previously restricted foods and will learn how to develop healthy eating habits.
    * Arrive
    The final phase allows you to maintain your goal weight by eating a healthy diet during the week and indulging in your favorite foods on the weekends.

During all of the four phases of the 17 day Diet there is an emphasis on clean eating and the avoidance of sugar and all processed foods.
    Recommended Foods

Eggs, turkey breast, chicken breast, seafood, yogurt, grapefruit, berries, lettuce, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, tomato, cucumber, asparagus, green tea.

http://www.everydiet.org/diet/17-day-diet <--- this is where all of this information is from!!

Hope that helps!
  • Well.. my friends and I haven't achieved our awesomness with 17 day diets... or fasts, or cleanses, or miracle pills, or diarrhea drinks, or shakeweigts, or anything silly like that.

I choked at 'diarrhea drinks and shakeweights', lol!!!! :bigsmile:

To OP: Are you not having any success eating sensibly, tracking calories and exercising?

To answer your question, yes. I have had great success with MFP and simply just eating right. To be entirely honest, I dont really NEED to lose weight. I started MFP in the spring as a way to stay healthy and maybe lose ten lbs...but then school started...and my job...and im a dancer so i have rehearsals constantly, and I gained it back due to stress and carelessness. I am just someone who does well with sticking to "the plan." And this seemed like a great one to stick to!
  • moupton
    moupton Posts: 30 Member
    I have read the book and think I am going to start too. I like the fact that this is not weird food. It's things you should be eating everyday. I'm just starting MFP too, so I'm trying to get used to all of this. It will niced to see how other people are doing on this "diet". I think it is more of a life style change to me.
  • I just completed round one -

Round 1 results:
    Cycle 1- 17.6
    Cycle 2 - 4 (TOM)
    Cycle 3- 8.6 pounds

Round one total is 30.2 pounds. 51 days 30.2 pounds! I am amazed. Non scale victories: down 1 pants size but I was really streaching those old ones. stop one med for edema and cut my blood pressure meds in half. My bp had droped to 110/60 over 3 days. I am sleeping better and moving better. I also kicked my addiction to diet coke.

I eat lean meats, veggies and fruit. The only limits really are the starchy vegetables and processed foods.
    Excercising is also recomended.

Check out the http://www.17daydietblog.com/ there is a guide that is free but be sure to read the book. You can also google 17 day diet forums. There are a few out there.
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    bump