doggies! Best breeds, expenses, and rewards of having them

Options
124»

Replies

• OKmac3
    OKmac3 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at getting a boxer but I have to convince my gf first.

Just wanted to throw another breed of dog into the mix for ya.
  • lojoend
    lojoend Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have 4 dogs - a lab, a doberman, and 2 min pins. I love all of them but my favorite is for sure the Min Pins!! Love them!! No shedding and so sweet and playful. With Min Pins, they own you, you don't own them. :P <3
  • a1rose
    a1rose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have a beagle/pit mix, and he is the GREATEST. He LOVES to run. But we don't have a yard, so he hasn't been able to escape on us yet!! (We live in Army Apartment Housing *sigh).
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    When we first started looking for a dog we researched for months for the 'perfect' breed. We decided we'd get a miniture schnauzer, small and well mannered, good family dog.
    That was until my friend's dogs had puppies and we just fell in love with one of them. Now we have a crazy Jack Russell running around the house like a mad man, stealing socks, begging for walks every hour of the day (even after he's been for them). He's a proper character and I wouldn't change him for the 'perfect' breed.
    When you see the dog for you you will know it. :)
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    We have a Papillion ( pronounced pap EE On) We wanted a smaller dog that wouldnt be a moving coffee table in our house. they were originally bred and lap dogs for english moncarch and thats exactly what they are. The have a lot of feline qualities which is really unique. We read they will stay by you as if attached by velcro.. and they will. They will sit in your lap all night, lay on your foot etc. but fun, smart and high energy. great dogs!!
  • Toenges1
    Toenges1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are looking at getting a French Brittany. They are expensive ($1500) and doube that cost if you want it to be trained, but they are over the top smart and very good with kids (we have 2 boys and one is somewhat fearful of animals). They also are exceptional hunters. My husband is a hunter..so we feel it meets all of our needs. The breeder quotes this type of dog as a "devil on the field and an angel in your home!'..that is a great tagline. We are just about sold on this..just putting the funds together. I can't wait!
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    Well, seeing as nobody has spoken on behalf of the Airedale Terriers, I'll put in a word for the King of the Terriers :smile:

I'll say upfront, that they're not a dog for everyone - they're a medium-large size breed and very strong with it. Lifespan of 12-15 years, they don't tend to suffer from too many illnesses (going on the dogs I've known), even though they're a purebreed.
    My parents have owned Airedales since before I was born, I don't think my Dad would consider any other breed! I love them to bits, they're beautiful, good tempered and full of personality - every one that we've owned has had a distinct personality.
    If you're looking for a very obedient dog, I'd go for a different breed, these guys don't score well on obedience testing, mostly because they will show you they can do the trick but refuse to see why they should do it a second time - they already showed you once! They do have loyalty in vast quantities though. They don't usually get separation anxiety, although they can sulk if they think the attention isn't sufficient!!

Expenses-wise, not sure what they cost in food per month, I know pet insurance is a must though because vet bills can be massive.

Rewards? The amount of fun & happiness I've had over the years walking the dogs or playing with them or hearing what they'v e been up to when I ring home. Can't even begin to calculate it! If my lifestyle permitted, I'd have one of my own, but it's just not practical given I'm away from home for 3 nights of the week usually.

To the OP - I hope you find the right dog for you & your family at the shelter, I'm sure (as I think someone else said) that you'll find one that just connects & feels right for you :smile:
  • LaComadreja14
    LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I am a very, very bias Chihuahua mom. I think they are some of the best dogs around! I only have one dog right now and that's Tequila my chihuhua (of course!) but we plan on getting another dog (probably bigger) when we get a home... my other favorite breeds are: Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Doberman pinscher, German Short hair pointers, Brittanys, Chow Chows, Huskys, Alaskan Klee Kais, Samoyeds, Akitas, Keeshonds, Papillons, and Besenjis.

I don't know exactly how much I currently spend on my dog monthly, but when he was a pup he was much more expensive simply because he tore up everything in his path while I was at work. Getting him a few buddies (the ferrets) to wear him out in the evenings certainly changed that, though. Though we replaced the matress, our couch is still a holy hole-filled disaster area. We have to put a leather jacket ontop of one cushion so we don't get a spring up the bum when we sit down. Yes, I love chihuahuas. Yes I think they are perfect dogs (especially for apartments) but I don't recommend getting them as a pup or young dog, unless you have a ton of time to spend exhausting them physically and mentally. They are really smart but super stubbern and few people realize how much mental stimulation they really need. I won't lie, I was one- though I am not anymore lol.

The fact that you and your husband work opposing shifts is great! Especially if you're looking into a small dog, they have a smaller idea of what is their "territory" so they can be a pain in the bum to house train. Big dogs will also benefit from having someone home all the time, though, too.

If you are looking for a good runner, the Alaskan Malamute is a great runner- of course you have to take into account the weather wear you live but you can always bring along a drink for her/him :) They are also friendly (so you dont have to worry about him/her scaring your neighbors and/or other runner/joggers with a bark or growl and they are very intelligent and eager to please meaning they can be trained casual manners easily (as long as you and your husband train with firm leadership). They are very pack oriented dogs, the type of dog you have to show who's boss, especially if you want "formal" obedience. Rotti's, Boxers and Pitbulls are also good runners, as are the afore mentioned Basenji and Brittany. Brittany's are great hunting dogs too, good if you or your husband hunt, bad if you have small animals. The Brittany is a very smart breed but need consistancy in training. Basenji's are muscular and athletic dogs that are still small enough that (with a lot of daily excercise) they do well in apartments and small places. Like the Malamute, they need a trainer who can display leadership, and weather has to be taken into account with the Basenji as they don't do well in wet weather. They form very good bonds with owners but they are also great climbers and can easily get over chain and/or wire fence (ALSO keep an eye out for chewing). Unlike the malamute they aren't as easily socialized and can be a distraction when you run (by stopping to bark/growl at everyone) if they don't get proper socialization training. They can be described as speedy, frisky and tireless at play. Dalmations (though they are difficult to train and some are known to lash out at kids) are good runners. Samoyed's, although big, gentle and pillow-like, are good runners. They need a daily jog or long walk and they are very sociable, easy going dogs. They are extremly devoted but not good guard dogs because they love everyone- HOWEVER like the malamute and the basenji they need a firm trainer who is comfortable being the confidant leader, otherwise these guys can end up with behavior issues. Like the chihuahua, they will need as much mental stimulation as they do physical and have a rep for being chewers (but hey, look at that smile- irresistable!) If you have other small animals and don't get the Samoyed as a pup who is raised with the small animal- use caution if they come into contact (personally, I would avoid contact at all coasts- Samoyed in particular is an ancient hunting and herding breed whose gene pool is closely related to the primitive dog with no wolf or fox mixed in.)

Okay so thats kinda a lot- I will leave you with this: Dogbreedinfo.com. They have a quiz that can help you determine a good dog for you :) Good luck! And remember, although breed standards can give you an idea of what your getting into- every dog is an individual. Look for a dog that clicks with you and your husband, a dog that (above all else) you will enjoy :)
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    i have a shiba inu. she's an extremely picky eater and smart as a whip. you only need to bathe her 4 times a year because of her double coat. however because of said coat, she sheds like CRAZY! she's also a door bolter, so if you'd like to chase a dog down the road and try to make sure they don't get hit by a car .... in the middle of winter in only your jammies & no shoes get one with a little shiba in it. haha. really, i had to do that once. took me hours to warm up and my feet were all cut up from running across the frozen tundra. bonus? i got my cardio in for the day. she doesn't bolt so much now that she's 2, which is nice.

however, any dog you rescue is the best breed imho. so it's nice to see that you're doing that! they love you like no other dog. definitely go look around and see if you can find out what breeds the dogs are, you can do research to see the pros and cons of each.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have a Boston Terrier and a Puggle. Both are lap dogs and great with people, but both have their flaws.

The Boston wasn't properly socialized when she was young... a run in with a baby pit in a dog park has made her really defensive... then she was exposed to a St. Bernard that thought she was a toy and would constantly pick on her. She's still a great pet, just doesn't warm quickly to other animals. She's very playful, and sometimes reminds me more of a cat than a dog in the way she uses her paws. For better or worse, she's my Gypsy.

The puggle looks more on the pug side (fur and tail) but acts like a beagle. He's my alarm dog. If you don't like barkers, stay clear of Beagles and beagle mixes. He's a cuddler, but he also sheds quite horrendously. He was a shelter dog and is horrible about coming when called and about cutting his nails. He will roam the neighborhood if he gets out... but he doesn't actively try to escape, either.

Between the two, a 40 lb bag of food lasts me a month. Vet bills are minimal.

There are great things about adopting an older shelter animal... they are past the chewy phase and likely house broken. However, that means you can't train some things out of them. Max's feet sensitivity, for example... I've been working on for years and he still fights me to even hold his paw.

Good Luck!!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    WHEWY!!!! That's a lot of information! I think that we are going to go with the whole "you'll know it when you see it." But we're also both in love with pit's so we'll see if that's what we end up with or not. Basically I want one that just steals my heart, will run with me, is good with people/kids, and I'm a sap for dogs that have been in the pound FOREVER so I'll probably end up with a "hard to place" dog
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Yay for you for rescuing! We have 3 boxers and what I thought was a pit/boxer mix, but everyone tells me he is pure pit bull. He is our latest rescue (tied to a tree for 2 years) and I fell in love with him, so he is a permanent member of our family. He is a wonderful, loyal and smart smart dog. I am voting for the Pits...Your heart will tell you which one:)
  • LaComadreja14
    LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    WHEWY!!!! That's a lot of information! I think that we are going to go with the whole "you'll know it when you see it." But we're also both in love with pit's so we'll see if that's what we end up with or not. Basically I want one that just steals my heart, will run with me, is good with people/kids, and I'm a sap for dogs that have been in the pound FOREVER so I'll probably end up with a "hard to place" dog

If you do, it's no big deal if you and your husband are confidant you can train him/her. Hard to place dogs often end up being some of the best pets after a good deal of training
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    so looks like the landlord will probably let us get a small dog which is cool and a bummer at the same time. I am not a huge fan of traditionally small dogs but I found a few on line that I think I could get behind! I found a 3 legged pit that of course stole my heart but she is too big for what the landlord will allow. I agree with the person who said not to get a beagle if you don't want a barker. I love beagles when they live far away from me and I can visit them but would not want one of my own. I found a pug/jack russle mix that I'm hoping would have a playful temperment but not be as hypber as a pure jackrussle because they are NUTS. We'll see. My husband seems to be tired of me talking about it so I guess I'll give it a rest. :)
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm super late to this party, but my parents have 2 rat terriers, which are a little smaller and a little less hyper than jack russels, but have a similar look. They are smart and easy to train. They cannot run with you though, not more than a mile. They have 2 modes, on and off: they like to play a lot and are hyper when you get home, but they also need to sleep like 18 hours a day. I had the Boy Dog for 2 years when my mom was still trying to place them before she just adopted both (they were rescues), and we watch them whenever my parents go out of town, like 10-15 weeks out of the year total. We LURVE them.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Best breed..mutts ;) hehe

Nah I really don't favor one certain breed, though i guess i have my favorites (pit bulls being one of them)
    i currently have 4 dogs, one pit bull mix, one akita mix, one golden retriever mix and one small white fluffy mix(lol)

The best dog is what fits the persons personality and lifestyle. I think just going and interacting with different dogs will give you and your husband the best feel for what dog is best for you.

I spend about $60 on food a month to feed my 4 dogs, I use ivermectin for heartworm prevention and it's $28 for a bottle that lasts all year and then some(it expries before i use it all up) and then flea prevention there is no set monthly bill because they don't always need it but when they do it's about $17 per dog.

vet bills are practically zilch, $40 every 3 years per dog for rabies is all I get. I don't believe in yearly or bi-yearly check ups, I take my dogs to the vet when they are sick and that's that.
    I also groom and train my own dogs, so not much expense there.

Everyone person is different though, some people live in climates where flea prevention is needed year around, some people feel comfortable taking their dog to the vet every 6 months for a check up, some people feel the need to have their dogs teeth cleaned, etc. etc.

It really just depends on you and what you feel comfortable with to give your dog a good life.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Beagles are definitely espace artists - my mother breeds and shows them.

And I LOVE pitbulls.

I second the beagles as escape artists. My mom has a beagle that was rescued from a puppy mill and that dog is always breaking out. But I have to say that dog is amazing with my kids. They could ride her and she does not flinch.