i mess the extras

Options
when i look down at me i dont see all this, when i look in the miror i see me, but when i see pictures, or vidio, that is not how i see myself. i always said i don't overeat...then i tracked it i found that it is true i don't have like 2 servings of steak or 3 baked potatoes... for me its the extras like sour cream(1 cup on a small potatoe), sauces, dressings, sugar past the dialutioin point in my coffee leaving a thick layer of half melted sugar at the bottom of the cup, and omg do i ever love that 1/2 an inch of fat on the side of the meat, i am working hard to change it, measuring i have never done that before, serving sizes are important...:brokenheart:

Replies

• biggerchubbychicken
    Options
    i meant miss:brokenheart:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    tracking can be an eye opener, can't it?! Salad dressing is another "add on" that can sabotage you!
  • nursinggirl64
    Options
    i use to b the same way as you the fat on the steak has all the flavor but think about what that does to ur arteries i worked in a lab n all the fat hardens around ur arteries so gf dont do it
  • toque_de_miel
    toque_de_miel Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yeah it can definitely super easy to overestimate things like dressings and sauces. I always keep the teaspoon & tablespoon handy because I'm terrible at eyeing measurements and I'm nearly 60 days in! lol
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I got a food scale for $20 at bed, bath, and beyond. Realizing that what I consider a portion is usually double what the serving size says it is has been a real eye opener. 2 Tbsp. of sour cream does not make as creamy a baked potato as 1 cup of sour cream- but you save LOTS of calories!
    I still eat the goodies (I mean extras)- but in moderation, now.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    We all miss alot of the goodies. But when you make your mind up to change things and change your health and life then the memories will pass. Focus on your goals, you will succeed.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    You will find after 2-3 weeks of avoiding those things (sugar, fat, high carbs) you will not crave them as much as you do on a daily basis when you are just starting out. I cut sugar out of my diet for four months and I had ZERO interest in eating anything at all sweet, when I used to want ice cream or cookies every evening after dinner, and mid-day between lunch and dinner. Then one day I had a snack sized Hershey bar and BAM!!!! All those cravings were back! Its hard to keep it reigned in.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    These are all really great realizations. :)

I tend to find substitutes. Labneh¹, low-fat buttermilk and homemade creme fraiche² are my new go-to dairy condiments. So flavorful and amazing. I mix them in to everything and use them in place of sour cream, cream cheese, oils, gravies, etc.

Sounds like you are on the right track for success. :flowerforyou:

¹ Labneh is Lebanese cream cheese with 60% fewer calories!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/lebanese-cream-cheese-60-fewer-calories-82285

² Chef John over at FoodWishes has the easiest and most amazing recipe for Creme Fraiche!
    http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/03/homemade-creme-fraiche-nobodys-ever.html
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem I find with some of these things is that the substitutions just aren't good enough. Fat-free sour cream and dressing are disgusting. So, I often eat the vegetables off the salad then put my 1-2 Tbs of "real" dressing on the lettuce. I only try to have Mexican once in awhile because all the add-ons are so fattening!!

It's really, really hard to cut all the sugars and fats out. I'm still working on it. But I'm way down on my caffeine and sugar intake, so I'm getting there! You will too.
  • teenyinni
    Options
    I find that fat free greek yogurt makes a good sub for sour cream... fat free sour cream is gross!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    AJFrench, for Mexican, try to order charro beans instead of refriend beans. They are a bit healthier, and tastier, in my opinon.