Artificial Sweetners

Options
I have used artificial sweetners for a long time and I know they are bad for us. I love coffee with creamer along with sweetner. Has anybody ever had any wierd effects with artificial sweetners?

Replies

• jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    artificial sweeteners cause cancer and they make you crave more sugar. If you have to use something other than sugar use Stevia. I just go without.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    headaches and a metalic after taste.. I HATE them all...lol only thing i haven't tried yet is agave necter
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Splenda gives me very bad anexity
  • kassandra81
    Options
    Whenever I need to use sugar ... I use Stevia.

I'm not too sure what the effects of using other sweetners is though. I was just reccomended to use Stevia as opposed to any other one.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I like Stevia as well probally the best choice..
  • tommys
    tommys Posts: 61
    Options
    I have used Splenda for a few years and have not had any negative side-effects. We LOVE It!
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    artificial sweeteners cause cancer and they make you crave more sugar. If you have to use something other than sugar use Stevia. I just go without.

I haven't read anything that actually indicates they cause cancer, but I agree in that the natural sweetener Stevia should be preferred.

In my eyes, Stevia>sugar alcohol>sucralose>aspartame>sugar
  • cecekins
    cecekins Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can't go without sweetener, since I love tea. So I use Truvia! :)
  • rastanle
    Options
    agave nectar is not an artificial sweetener. i am allergic to sugar and use agave when baking. it's delicious!
  • Dezlyn67
    Dezlyn67 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. I have used Splenda for years with not type of effects,
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    I like Truvia too, it's a blend of stevia and sugar alcohol that works when the bitter aftertaste of pure Stevia cant be covered
  • JohnFurie
    Options
    Yeah I think the artificail sweetners are of the devil. I use Truvia, it is stevia and you can buy it in the store. Much better for you than anything artificial.
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't personally have a problem with them, but I know a lot of people that can't have them. I started using stevia in the raw instead.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    When I first started drinking diet sodas, I developed 4 or 5 nasty UTI's in the space of 6 months. I stopped drinking them and they stopped. I began drinking them again, but in moderation, and with lots more water in between. So far, so good.

I thought it was just me, but found several references to it on the web (none handy to cite, sorry!).
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    When I first started drinking diet sodas, I developed 4 or 5 nasty UTI's in the space of 6 months. I stopped drinking them and they stopped. I began drinking them again, but in moderation, and with lots more water in between. So far, so good.

I thought it was just me, but found several references to it on the web (none handy to cite, sorry!).

That is interesting to point out. I wonder what chemical reaction caused it. It's definitely true that everything has the potential to adversely affect someone.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options

That is interesting to point out. I wonder what chemical reaction caused it. It's definitely true that everything has the potential to adversely affect someone.

I assumed it was an acidity/alkalinity balance thing. I don't know but about 1/10th of 1% of what I think I know, so I just do what works.

Also, my adult daughter recently had 2 UTI's fairly close together...turns out she's been drinking lots of diet soda. Physiology unique to our family? Who knows?