Help! I need exercise suggestions for someone with a bad kne

Options
I currently have a torn ACL & meniscus in one knee, and would really like to start up a workout routine until I am able to have surgery (it'll be a few months at least). I have full mobility with the knee injury, but would like to play safe as to not cause more damage.

I can bike, elliptical, walk, and other low impact movements. I'm not comfortable jogging, running, lunging, side stepping, squatting... you get the picture.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the most effective workout routine for someone who needs to drop lbs, and doesn't have a ton of extra time.

UPDATE: I didn't try "searching" for knee injruies prior to posting this. I just did and I saw a lot of suggestions for upper body strength exercises and a suggestion to search for videos on youtube. I think it should help a lot!

Replies

• Malinsfeet
    Malinsfeet Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You could always try swimming and pilates (not a ton of knee movement or pressure on the knee).
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    Do the things that you can ( walk, elliptical, bike ) and maybe add some water aerobics or laps to it to mix it up.

Best of luck with your wt loss and pending surgery.

Keep pushing forward.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Do you have a swimming pool near you that you can use?It's a great all over workout and you can tailor what you are doing with floats to eliminate leg use altogether if need be. I have joint issues and swimming is one of my favorite workouts.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I hurt my knee a couple of months back and it was impossible for me to do lunges, etc. But if you can walk, that is the best way to exercise and keep your joints lubricated. I am usiing Wii Fit Plus, which has enough variety to work around disabilities, but when I was out of town I continued to loose weight by just walking.
  • KristiVB
    KristiVB Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm not able to get to a place with a pool, but I am going to check out pilates! :smile: