How do you weigh your meats?

Options
DKev
DKev Posts: 266 Member
I have looked and looked and keep finding conflicting answers. Do you weigh it raw or do you cook it and then weigh it before you eat it? For instance, I just boiled a chicken breast for a recipe, weighed it before boiling....boiled it and then weighed it again and it weighed quite a bit less once I boiled it. So, which is right? Technically, I'm eating the cooked product which weighs less...right?

Replies

• CuteEllais
    CuteEllais Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Would love to hear answers on this one! I too find this confusing.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Uncooked and fully thawed.
  • brimir
    brimir Posts: 72
    Options
    raw and thawed!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

What sidesteal said....
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I believe you're supposed to weigh them raw. The general rule for chicken is that 4oz raw will turn into 3oz cooked.
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    cooked
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    I always weigh in the raw state as this is how the nutrition label on the packaging is made up.
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options

WHY????????
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    it depends ..if im doing like a casserole, i weigh it raw and enter it that way (ieL one pound ground meat) ..if im making just a chicken breast or steak, i log it as cooked based on prep (boiled, baked, etc)
  • DKev
    Options
    Thanks guys! =)
  • My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    Way too easy...walking away now!
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    ok... really really hard to keep this clean....

But yes thawed and raw is correct.
  • paulsmn
    paulsmn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    he most accurate way to do this is to weigh your meat before and after. Meat shrinks when cooked but the calories remain the same. A good rule of thumb I use for meat is, 4 oz of raw meat will usually yield 3 oz.

When it comes to grains like rice, quinoa, pasta, etc., the nutritional data listed is the uncooked weight. These grains expand to more than double since they absorb a lot of water, so if you measure it after it's cooked, you'll be way off.
  • DKev
    Options
    Well, I apologize to those of you who found this an easy answer. It wasn't easy for me or I wouldn't have asked. Why not be positive on here? I posted a clear title to my post so if you didn't like it a comment wasn't necessary. Thanks to those who helped!
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    With my meat scale...
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Well, I apologize to those of you who found this an easy answer. It wasn't easy for me or I wouldn't have asked. Why not be positive on here? I posted a clear title to my post so if you didn't like it a comment wasn't necessary. Thanks to those who helped!

They didn't mean easy, as in an easy question. They meant easy, as in easy to turn this thread into a sexual firestorm.

You are welcome.

:flowerforyou:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Usually, it;s pre-weighed at the counter of the butcher.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    right behind you
    Way too easy...walking away now!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

They didn't mean easy, as in an easy question. They meant easy, as in easy to turn this thread into a sexual firestorm.

You are welcome.

:flowerforyou:

This, completely.
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    mouthshut-mouth-shut-zip-zip-it-smiley-emoticon-000626-medium.gif