I need to lose 17 lbs by 12/17, any suggestions? tips???

Options
Hello everyone, I am new to this but it seems like a real neat site. I want to lose weight for the long term, but I also have an event on December 17th. I want to lose 17 lbs by then, any veteran MyFitnessPal users that can give me some pointers or can share success stories??

Replies

• misslyssx
    Options
    I lost 15lbs in two months. I wasn't on a particularly rigorous schedule. I was consuming around 1200 calories a day and working out only twice a week for about 30-45 minutes. I snacked on vegetables mostly and had a small treat like a pudding every night. I ate every 3 hours, roughly, and tried not too late into the day. Pretty basic tips, but I hope it helps!
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    That's about 1.5lbs per week which is very doable. Just set your goals at wanting to lose that much per week and MFP will tell you how many calories to eat.
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I dropped soda's, started drinkin water and walking 30 min a night while staying in my 1200 calories and dropped 10 pounds just in the first 2 weeks..yay water weight..lol. That is comepletely do-able. Make time to walk, snack on lots of fruit and veggies in between meals and stay in your calories alotted. I didn't eat OVERLY healthy and still lost so I am sure you can!
  • MadiB89
    MadiB89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    my first piece of advice is cut out any beverages other than water unsweetened tea or unsweetened coffee. if you drink alot of coke or juices it will help you alot to get rid of them.
    second piece of advice is cut out fried foods. grilled always has about 1/3 of the calories!
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have been doing MFP for almost a month and have lost 10. Drink a lot of water and get a some cardio everyday and you can do it. Feel free to friend me and take a look at my log if you like. Good Luck
  • casalina123
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and the encouragement, it makes me feel as if it is doable! Thanks again!
  • casalina123
    Options
    Thanks, this MFP sounds like a real useful tool. I will def request you as a friend, since i only have one right now! LOL :)
  • casalina123
    Options
    WOW 10 lbs in two weeks? that is amazing! THANKS everyone for your replies! this information is very comforting and motivating! We can do it!
  • purplebabe2025
    purplebabe2025 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Thatz roughly how much I wanna lose by then. I have always found it difficult as I'm naturally BUILT and never seem to lose. I'm sorry I have no advice but I'm here for encouragement. Any advice you get please pass on to me. Ta and add me. Good luck.
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This site is so very helpful, I have to say :-)
    My biggest pointers -
    Log Every Single Thing that you eat into here. If you have a smartphone, download the app - that has made things soooo very much easier for me. Sometimes I use it to look up food calorie and nutrition content before eating to see if I really want to do that to myself.
    LIke many others have said, cut out as many of the liquid calories as you can. Drink Lots of water - often we feel like we're hungry but we're actually thirsty. If you hate water (I used to), still try to drink some plain, but feel free to add crystal light, and make tea or coffee and sweeten with splenda, truvia or some other low or non-calorie sweetner.
    I drink coffee every morning with splenda and two tablespoons of coffeemate sugar free french vanilla creamer... for only 30 calories. Yay! It tastes like a sweet treat to me, but has so few calories! To be fair, fake sweetners generally aren't super-good for you, but I prefer that vice over consuming lots of calories, personally.
    Exercise. You don't have to go buy a gym membership - maybe just go for walks and bike rides! When you visit friends, take bottles of water (crystal light?) and go for a walk while talking instead of meeting at a restaurant or house and eating while talking. If you have family, get them to go for walks/bike rides with you. Walking burns a few calories, but also generally speaking when you're out walking, you're not eating... so it kinda hits two birds with one stone :-)
    Keep positive - if you're weighing yourself and you don't show any weight loss for a week, or even two weeks, stick with it anyway. Re-evaluate to make sure you're logging all of your calories and everything, but stick with the plan - sometimes our bodies just hold onto water weight and that kind of thing right before we weigh... if you're keeping with the plan and your weight doesn't budge for a week or two, it's almost certainly going to show a nice big drop the next time you hit the scale. Also remember that muscle weighs more than fat but is less bulky, so if you are working out and building up muscle, you may be losing significant fat (and inches) without the scales showing that you're losing lots of "weight."
    If at all possible, get a friend or two to start being healthier with you - it's way easier to get healthy with the support of others.
    Eat TONS of veggies. Just make sure you don't smother them in oil, butter, or cheese :-) A little parmesan can add lots of flavor with just a few calories, but even better try sprinkling on some spices - there's lots of pre-mixed spice options at the store that make things yummier.
    Sorry for the super-long post... if you want more ideas, just let me know :-)
    Aloha!