Replies

• EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You do realize your weight is variable depending on time/water/etc.. ? Ask yourself how it makes sense eating more to a certain amount loses more weight than eating less.

it makes sense because when we restrict our calories TOO much the body "catches on" and will slow down the metabolic rate (primarily NEAT goes down) and then we don't lose as much weight as we would predict based on our calorie "deficit." When we eat more the body is no longer fearful that a famine is around the corner so excess weight is shed more willingly.

I disagree with you. I think too many people throw around the "starvation mode" excuse on these forums too much. I really think the body needs to be deprived of nutrients a lot longer than most people describe their 'starvation' period. I'm also not a big believer on the fluxation of metabolic rate. There's really not much evidence suggesting the body expends the calories you eat differently on different days. Most studies conclude one thing -- 'calories in / calories out'

Of course, if you pointed me to resources supporting evidence to what you stated, I would certainly like to take a read to educate myself.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I disagree with you. I think too many people throw around the "starvation mode" excuse on these forums too much. I really think the body needs to be deprived of nutrients a lot longer than most people describe their 'starvation' period. I'm also not a big believer on the fluxation of metabolic rate. There's really not much evidence suggesting the body expends the calories you eat differently on different days. Most studies conclude one thing -- 'calories in / calories out'

Of course, if you pointed me to resources supporting evidence to what you stated, I would certainly like to take a read to educate myself.

^ While I agree with you on calories in/out, and I also agree that starvation mode is a mythical term floating around with no substance (you don't see fat anorexics if you'll accept anecdote)---however-- downregulation of thyroidal hormones (believe it's T3, T4) occurs, and it does lower metabolic rate. It's typically regulated with a few maintenance days.

That being said, people tend to throw the term "starvation mode" and suggest that your body actually stores fat in a deficit, which doesn't happen. That's how I understand it/what I have read anyways. Just thought I'd share.
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    A great way to think about this, is to see your metabolism as a fire. It burns hotter when you keep giving it a steady supply of fuel. If you quit giving the fuel and stoking the fire, it fades to coals.

I love this.

...and YES. Eat more = lose/maintain better! When I start to eat under my cals, I notice way more pouch-ness in my stomach.... in a sense I am still getting used to this foreign concept :D
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    When you start getting to a low BF% example 12% for men 20% for women, it starts getting more difficult to lose weight. You don't want to have too large of a caloric deficit for long because your body will get pissed off at you. In my opinion, the weight loss will be easier at a smaller deficit, i.e. 400-500 kcal/day vs. 1,000kcal/day.
  • DerpdyHerp
    Options

^ While I agree with you on calories in/out, and I also agree that starvation mode is a mythical term floating around with no substance (you don't see fat anorexics if you'll accept anecdote)---however-- downregulation of thyroidal hormones (believe it's T3, T4) occurs, and it does lower metabolic rate. It's typically regulated with a few maintenance days.

That being said, people tend to throw the term "starvation mode" and suggest that your body actually stores fat in a deficit, which doesn't happen. That's how I understand it/what I have read anyways. Just thought I'd share.

Now we're getting closer to fact instead of dumb anecdotes. There are indeed metabolic adaptations that occur when calories are consistently ratcheted down for an extended period (typically months). A few days to a couple of weeks of maintenance calories (i.e. caloric equilibrium) can "reset" these adaptations making it appear that more food actually equaled weight loss. It would not be sustained and furthermore, as pgalasti pointed out, fluid fluctuations make it particularly difficult to measure how this is changing the actual desired effect (which is fat loss, not weight loss).

But right, a sustained deficit will not halt or reverse weight loss. What further complicates this is NEAT. There is speculation that NEAT changes as intake changes. This is highly individualized.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I've struggled for ages with too high a deficit. I just can't manage on less than about 1800 cal a day (and can't exercise enough to 'earn' that much either)
    So I've yo-yod back and forth with eating around the 1300 mark and managing it for a day or two, then being so low in energy that I've pretty much undone that deficit just to feel normal again. So effectively losing nothing overall, but for an awful lot of stress.

For me, eating *more* (around 1850) is resulting in a loss as I can maintain it. Sure, it's slow, but if I started this way and carried on 2 years ago I'd be down 15kg by now, not still the same place I started.

Well, that's a different sort of situation where eating more = weight loss than I guess was meant by the OP, but it's all relevant!
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm just at the beginning of my experiment with this, but so far I'm loving it! :) I have lost 32 pounds since May, and when I reached a healthy bmi, things halted in terms of weight loss. I tried everything - I had reached a plateau prior to this when I first started MFP (I lost 20 pounds on WW), and when I first joined I started eating more calories because WW had me on about 1400 a day. I ate more (about 1900 average after exercise). and lost about 4 pounds. Then I plateaued again and only saw the scale move up 1 pound for one day, but that was enough to convince me that more calories was not the answer. So I lowered them a little, and then a little more, lost a little weight but not much, and then stopped again. I started noticing some of the old signs - cold all the time, low energy, etc, so I tried everything. Played with my macros, added more fat (which did help a lot), but still no weight loss. I wasn't gaining, but I wasn't losing either - fyi I'm 5'8" at 157. I do have some to lose, not much.

Well this past month I've been slowly upping my calories again. I changed my goal to lose .5 lb a week, and at first I was hesitant to eat all those extra calories. But eventually I did, and I still didn't gain. But I did notice I had A TON more energy. Less aches and pains during my workouts and I just had so much get up and go in my step - awesome feeling. I'm running in my 1st half marathon on sunday, so I decided that this week I would up it to maintenance level so I would have maximum energy for the race. I've actually been going over my maintenance calories for the last two days by 100 - 200 calories. I've been eating 2500+ calories this past week, and haven't gained a pound. I was actually a little lower this morning.

I've done some reading about Diet Breaks and refeeds (google it) and they say for maximum benefits, it is best when you are closer to goal to have a diet break every 6-8 weeks, to reset metabolism and hormone levels for optimum weight loss results when you return to your deficit. I'm going to continue eating at or above maintenance for as long as it takes for me to either lose weight, or gain weight. I'd actually like to know what is my maximum number I'd need to not gain weight. I'm ok with gaining 2 or 3 real pounds (not water weight) if it will mean that I will know what my true maintenance number is, so I'll know what deficit I should be at. I still can't believe I'm eating so much and not gaining (fyi I run 30 - 35 miles per week, so my numbers might be high for someone who doesn't run as much as I do). And also, diet greats are great psychologically too, and I'm learning a lot. I've never kept track of when I eat too much, only when I don't eat enough. It's a great learning experience.

Oh, and my nails - oh my god. I've always had gross, non-existent nails I always attributed it to biting them - they are GORGEOUS now. They are thick, strong, growing, healthy - it's amazing. I've always sort of been on a diet for the past 15 years and have never really filled myself at maintenance level with healthy foods. I love this. LOVE IT.
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options
    I have 34lb to lose, have lost just over 30lbs already, but im finding that if i eat more than 1200 cals my weight loss slows right down.
    I dont eat carbs, (except for oatbran, dairy and vegetables) i eat lots of lean protein and keep under the fat/sat fat target.

btw i dont exercise very much atall. could this be why?? is 1200 cals maybe better for me as someone who doesnt exercise alot? im asking because im not sure why it is so different for me??
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

google metabolic adaptation. for the general public it's not useful to use incredibly scientific terminology to explain the metabolic occurrences that can account for a less than predicted loss of weight.

What essentially occurs is that the body reaches a homeostasis because the metabolism downregulates to conserve energy. You might lose weight for quite some time but eventually the weight loss is so slow that it is nearly negligible and the person must reduce their calories further to continue losing.

Not only that, there is less physical activity...non-exercise activity thermogenesis accounts for a significant portion of our BMR so if you move less because you're tired and lack energy then you will expend less.

In addition there is a loss of lean muscle mass with too great a calorie deficit and with less muscle mass the metabolism is naturally slower.

Here's a nice read...not COMPLETELY comprehensive but it does show that TDEE goes down in response to caloric restriction/low calorie dieting.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0004377