Q about squats

I do squats while holding an 8 lb medicine ball. My knees hurt during and the next day. Do you think my form could be wrong? Or do I possibly just have bad/weak knees? Or are your knees supposed to be sore? I have not hurt myself yet and it's not bad enough to not do the squats anymore.

Disclaimer- I am not looking for medical advice, just an opinion or insight. Thanks!

Replies

• i have been told by my Zumba instructor to make sure your butt is stuck out like you are sitting on a chair and to make your knees don't pass your toes
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    I find doing squats in front of a mirror the best. I will stand beside it, so I can watch my knees and make sure that they don't fall forward over my toes as I am lowering into the squat. I agree "invisible chair" really helps you to mentally accomplish the move
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    You might want to check youtube to see if they have proper form for a squat. I sometimes especially when I want a deep squat put a box where my behind should be hitting and try to touch it each time.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Your knees should not hurt! I'm guessing it's your form. Make sure your knees stay back behind your toes ..... that "invisible chair" that others mentioned.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    i have been told by my Zumba instructor to make sure your butt is stuck out like you are sitting on a chair and to make your knees don't pass your toes

Keep your weight in your heels, you should be able to wiggle your toes, and odn't let your knees collapse in, keep them tracking over the middle of your foot.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    If you don't have knee problems while doing anything else, I'd guess improper form. Like Jaygee says, make sure your knees don't go past your toes. Very important. Stick your butt out, chest up, heels down.

Check online for some form videos. Here is one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyjpz4jkjSQ

http://videos.bodybuilding.com/watch/82442/pauline-nordins-fighterdiet-tv-squats
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Thanks everyone! My toes were definitely not able to wiggle, nor was my butt sticking out in a sitting position- so my form was off! I will be correcting this tonight. Ciao! :)