Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

The scale lies.

This morning when I went to weight myself the first reading I got was so high I fell off the scale from shock before it could finish the body fat analysis. So, bravely I stepped back on and this time it told me I had lost 1.8 lbs. Yay! So then I got to thinking how accurate is my scale? I weighed myself 4 more times in a row getting different results each time. All in all the scale fluctuated over 6 pounds. I am using the Health O Meter BFM588. What scale do you use? Any Recommendations for a new more accurate scale are welcome because after this morning I am in the market.

Replies

• mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Mine is a Salter scale and you can upload stuff with usb to your pc. It measures ounces as well as pounds seems pretty accurate..but most scales are on a hard surface and if used as a constant
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    I just have a cheapo ish £15 one bought from the supermarket - seems to be consistent. Matches with the 2 in the gym too!

Work out my body fat % from body measurements... Not incredibly accurate but it's a good enough estimate.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Ahh yes... if you have it over the tile cracks or on a soft or uneven surface that won't help! :)
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Does it perhaps need a new battery?
  • megarooni
    megarooni Posts: 50 Member
    If you stand on a scale differently it can change you weight as well. I found that if I slouch, stand up straight, or lean forward each time there was a different reading and the numbers were not exactly close. Make sure you are on a hard, even surface as well. Otherwise I might think about investing in a new scale. Good luck!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    I have a Tanita digital scale that measures % body fat. The %body fat portion is annoying and probably not as accurate as I'd like. Still, I recommend it.
  • jenniferpayne5
    jenniferpayne5 Posts: 27 Member
    The scale is on the tile floor in my bathroom so it is on a firm service. I didn't think about the battery though. I'll try switching it out and see if it makes a difference.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member

^^THIS^^ but measurements don't lie! Mirrors, and the way your clothes fit, don't either...:wink:
  • beckylou66
    beckylou66 Posts: 103 Member

That's what I would say.... good luck
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member

^^THIS^^ but measurements don't lie! Mirrors, and the way your clothes fit, don't either...:wink:

This is what I like to go by, considering I'm having issues with my weight not going down (going up, and eating the same as before, actually...) but I'm down a clothing size in shirts and pants, and I could go down in my bra...so not sure why the scale is going up... I'm not working out, so that's not it! LOL
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    I use this scale too, but I found once I changed the batteries it went back to being a good scale and didn't fluctuate anymore. So Maybe try new batteries.
  • Choclat_Pearl
    Choclat_Pearl Posts: 166 Member
    I do not trust these new digital scales, Tisk!

I when to 3 different Dr's appts once & each gave me a different reading...I felt like Goldilocks & The 3 Bears when she was laying in the different beds: 1 scale to old, 1 to new, 1 way off ....

Got home mine seemed just right

I have a Sunbeam healthometer Model: SAB910DQ-01
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    I get my weight everyday on WII Fit and the only time I don't get the same weight if I weigh twice, is just before the battery pffts out. I gave away our bathroom scale when I realized how reliable our Wii Fit was. It also gives you tenths of pounds, which I like (and it doesn't matter how you stand on it either.)
  • normh545
    normh545 Posts: 81 Member
    i am addicted to standing on the scales,i must weigh myself at least 5 times a day , from morning to night the difference is about 3 pound

11162479.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • zcoop
    zcoop Posts: 12 Member
    I use taylor, which is the same brand they used on the show i used to be fat. i got it from target for 30 bucks. i think its pretty accurate
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    I get my weight everyday on WII Fit and the only time I don't get the same weight if I weigh twice, is just before the battery pffts out. I gave away our bathroom scale when I realized how reliable our Wii Fit was. It also gives you tenths of pounds, which I like (and it doesn't matter how you stand on it either.)

That's what I use.. but it's always been off by about 3-5 lbs! Eeeek! But my floor surface isn't completely hard, so that's probably why.