The scale lies.

Options
This morning when I went to weight myself the first reading I got was so high I fell off the scale from shock before it could finish the body fat analysis. So, bravely I stepped back on and this time it told me I had lost 1.8 lbs. Yay! So then I got to thinking how accurate is my scale? I weighed myself 4 more times in a row getting different results each time. All in all the scale fluctuated over 6 pounds. I am using the Health O Meter BFM588. What scale do you use? Any Recommendations for a new more accurate scale are welcome because after this morning I am in the market.

Replies

• mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Mine is a Salter scale and you can upload stuff with usb to your pc. It measures ounces as well as pounds seems pretty accurate..but most scales are on a hard surface and if used as a constant
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I just have a cheapo ish £15 one bought from the supermarket - seems to be consistent. Matches with the 2 in the gym too!

Work out my body fat % from body measurements... Not incredibly accurate but it's a good enough estimate.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Ahh yes... if you have it over the tile cracks or on a soft or uneven surface that won't help! :)
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Does it perhaps need a new battery?
  • megarooni
    megarooni Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you stand on a scale differently it can change you weight as well. I found that if I slouch, stand up straight, or lean forward each time there was a different reading and the numbers were not exactly close. Make sure you are on a hard, even surface as well. Otherwise I might think about investing in a new scale. Good luck!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have a Tanita digital scale that measures % body fat. The %body fat portion is annoying and probably not as accurate as I'd like. Still, I recommend it.
  • jenniferpayne5
    jenniferpayne5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The scale is on the tile floor in my bathroom so it is on a firm service. I didn't think about the battery though. I'll try switching it out and see if it makes a difference.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options

^^THIS^^ but measurements don't lie! Mirrors, and the way your clothes fit, don't either...:wink:
  • beckylou66
    beckylou66 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

That's what I would say.... good luck
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options

^^THIS^^ but measurements don't lie! Mirrors, and the way your clothes fit, don't either...:wink:

This is what I like to go by, considering I'm having issues with my weight not going down (going up, and eating the same as before, actually...) but I'm down a clothing size in shirts and pants, and I could go down in my bra...so not sure why the scale is going up... I'm not working out, so that's not it! LOL
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I use this scale too, but I found once I changed the batteries it went back to being a good scale and didn't fluctuate anymore. So Maybe try new batteries.
  • Choclat_Pearl
    Choclat_Pearl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I do not trust these new digital scales, Tisk!

I when to 3 different Dr's appts once & each gave me a different reading...I felt like Goldilocks & The 3 Bears when she was laying in the different beds: 1 scale to old, 1 to new, 1 way off ....

Got home mine seemed just right

I have a Sunbeam healthometer Model: SAB910DQ-01
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I get my weight everyday on WII Fit and the only time I don't get the same weight if I weigh twice, is just before the battery pffts out. I gave away our bathroom scale when I realized how reliable our Wii Fit was. It also gives you tenths of pounds, which I like (and it doesn't matter how you stand on it either.)
  • normh545
    normh545 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i am addicted to standing on the scales,i must weigh myself at least 5 times a day , from morning to night the difference is about 3 pound

11162479.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • zcoop
    zcoop Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use taylor, which is the same brand they used on the show i used to be fat. i got it from target for 30 bucks. i think its pretty accurate
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I get my weight everyday on WII Fit and the only time I don't get the same weight if I weigh twice, is just before the battery pffts out. I gave away our bathroom scale when I realized how reliable our Wii Fit was. It also gives you tenths of pounds, which I like (and it doesn't matter how you stand on it either.)

That's what I use.. but it's always been off by about 3-5 lbs! Eeeek! But my floor surface isn't completely hard, so that's probably why.