Treadmill vs Elliptical

Options
Why is it when I'm jogging on my treadmill I only burn about 200 calories in 30mins but when i go on the elliptical machine i burn about 350 calories in 30. I feel like I burn way more on the treadmill jogging because when i get off I'm sweating like crazy but when I'm on the elliptical I barely break a sweat. what y'all think? which one do you think is more effective?

Replies

• bluepineapple
    Options
    same thing happens to me...
  • Baldylocks30
    Baldylocks30 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i dont use the treadmill at all, i find if i am just running/jogging i cant catch my breath. i do use the elliptical trainer and think it is more effective because you use more and different muscles than on the treadmill
  • emilysavage123
    Options
    i was wondering the same thing? i can also do a 30 minute work out on an elliptical and burn almost twice as many calories. i feel more satisfied with my work out on the elliptical.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    are you using a heart rate monitor or are you seeing the Cals burned on the machine? from my experience, Cals burned on machines can vary quite a bit.

just a thought.
  • AlexandraR2011
    AlexandraR2011 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Do you use resistance on the elliptical? That's probably why, I run hills and burn more calories than running on a flat surface.
  • stardozer
    stardozer Posts: 180
    Options
    I walk 3.0 mph on the treadmill for 30 mins.
  • stupidthick5150
    Options
    I'm using the machine
  • stupidthick5150
    Options
    yea i put it at the highest level and i put it on the interval, don't get me wrong I love the elliptical cuz I heard its good for lifting the butt lol, but when i jog i feel like I'm getting a harder workout but im not burning as much calories
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    i was wondering the same thing? i can also do a 30 minute work out on an elliptical and burn almost twice as many calories. i feel more satisfied with my work out on the elliptical.

easy answer - both machines are giving you inaccurate info
  • ahmpierce1
    ahmpierce1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I agree! And it's BS! Lol.

I always used to use the elliptical b/c it was easier (let's be honest!), so I could work out longer...but lately I've been forcing myself to run (death, every morning) and have noticed less of a calorie burn, but I "feel" like Im getting a better work out.

I think that in the end, running is still a better work out for your legs and lungs, so I'm sticking to it for now!
  • stupidthick5150
    Options
    lol thanks for advice:)
  • msjamartin
    Options
    Even between different types of ellipticals I burn at different rates. I also think sometime the machines need to be calibrated/refreshed/update. There is one machine at my gym that I vary in calories burned between two exactly the same models (my settings are exactly the same, heartrate stays the same but the machines are not even close). I actually try and get the exact same machine everytime, depending on type. I know the machines are high already in the count so I'm going for consistency.

I burn less on treadmills plus I really hate the stupid things! As I gear up to run my first 1/2 marathon next June I know I will become better aquainted but I'm dreading it!
  • stupidthick5150
    Options
    yup yup I agree with you :)
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    The calories the machines tell you are never very accurate. You burn more fat running than you do on the elliptical because you're heart rate is definitely up higher. But that's only if you're running, if you're lightly jogging on the treadmill, the elliptical is probably working you harder because of resistance and incline.