Ever sprained a knee?

Options
My knee popped a couple weeks ago on the treadmill and its been really sore off and on since then. Hurts to walk and it feels hyperextended and unstable. I dont think i tore an mcl/acl ect as no bruising and only mild swelling so I think its just sprained. Anyone ever done this and how long does it take to heal?

Replies

• midnitemunchies
    midnitemunchies Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i tweaked my knee playing basketball the other week. planted and twisted... definitely felt like a knife feeling for about two weeks then went away. Probably not the same thing since yours was on a tread mill.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    This is what I read:

A knee sprain means that you have injured one of the ligaments around the knee joint. Saying you have a "knee sprain" is not a terribly useful diagnosis for two reasons:
    First: it does not tell you which ligament is injured. This is important because different ligaments are treated very differently. For example, ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) injuries often need surgical reconstruction. On the other hand MCL (medial collateral ligament) injuries seldom require surgery.
    Second: it does not tell you how badly the ligament is injured. The reason this is important is that minor injuries usually require minor treatment. More severe injuries may require more substantial treatment, rehabilitation, and possibly surgery.

Find out which ligaments are injured, and then you will be able to understand more about what possible treatments and rehabilitation are necessary.

So.......you really should go to a doctor to make sure. :)
  • dtorres21
    Options
    I'm an orthopedic tech. I highly recommend seeing a doctor. If you tear an acl or a miniscus you might not show signs of bruising. However mild swelling can occur. If you feel your knee "catching" like it gets stuck and pops back out as you bend, it's most likely a miniscus. Hopefully just a mild sprain. But I wouldn't run until it's better. Good luck!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My right knee 'popped' late spring and I know just what you say you feel. I have the good fortune to have an attending chiropractor that within a couple of weeks I was able to get back to my routine. I still get soreness from time to time, though. It may be a while before I am symptom free.

Ice and elevate that leg.... if all you''ve got is a sprain, then it shouldn't take too long.

Hope you get well soon.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I also must say, it doesn't sound like a sprain. A sprain would definitely have swelling and bruising. Not to mention a fair amount of pain.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    yeah, I get popping/snapping in it when i twist or bend it. Sometimes is audible enought my wifeeee can hear it. the pain comes and goes. really, really trying to avoid the Dr. I hate Dr. visits like VD.