DIET COKE???

Options
IS DIET COKE GOOD OR BAD FOR YOU WHEN YOUR ON A DIET? OR IS IT JUST... NOTHING.

Replies

• x0daniela
    x0daniela Posts: 53
    Options
    IS DIET COKE GOOD OR BAD FOR YOU WHEN YOUR ON A DIET? OR IS IT JUST... NOTHING.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    The sodium content is high, if you're watching that. And, you'll probably get a bunch of folks on here who talk about the evils of fake sugar stuff too.

I drink Diet Rite -- no sodium.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    there is a post right now called Diet Coke Addiction.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    You'll hear a ton of people poo-poo-ing it but I drink it and I am losing weight fine. :happy:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    You'll hear a ton of people poo-poo-ing it but I drink it and I am losing weight fine. :happy:
    ditto- I drink a cherry coke zero everyday with my lunch- And the sodium isn't that high- yeah it has fake chemicalized sugar in it but it tastes good and its better than me drinking Sweet Tea by the bucket loads like I used too- plus I rather not drink regular soda when watching my calories I have to drink something besides water and Im not into drinking my calories even if it is 5 calories from crystal light stuff --
  • mehapp
    mehapp Posts: 132
    Options
    It's probably evil....

That said, do what you need to to cope.
  • x0daniela
    x0daniela Posts: 53
    Options
    THATS WHAT I HAVE BEEN DRINKING EVERYDAY IS CHERRY COKE ZERO.
    IT'S SO GOOD.

& I HATE DRINKING CALORIES!
    SOME OF IT JUST ADD'S UP TO BE ANOTHER MEAL!
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i'm sure you were looking for a yes or no answer. unfortunately, there is none.

few points to make here:
    1) only stop drinking it if you don't plan on drinking it for the rest of your life. remember, its a lifestyle change, not a diet.
    2)there's really no concept of good or bad for you. there's food that's nutritionally rich and nutritionally poor. diet soda is nutritionally very poor.
    3) if you want it, go ahead and drink it. just limit the amount. For one thing, it dehydrates your body so your going to have to drink extra water to make up for it. another thing is the carbonation is really bad for your bones
  • e11xoxo
    e11xoxo Posts: 86
    Options
    It's hard not to drink it if you like soda and you're watching your calories.

From what I've heard there are two main reasons that it's bad (I try to limit myself to 1 can a day)

1. The artificial sweetener is not natural and your body can't process it naturally. I've heard that it may cause cancer (but what doesn't these days...)

2. Drinking soda/diet soda makes you crave sweets. You may be more inclined to go for that cupcake as a diet soda drinker than as a water/juice drinker.

I'd say try to substitute water as much as possible. Sometimes when I feel a little hungry, I go drink some water and it turns out I was thirsty. I also drink water when I get cravings for snacking.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It'll steal your TV and use your toothbrush to clean the toilet. :devil:

:laugh:

In moderation it's not going to pose a problem if you are getting sufficient calcium and water in your diet. Brush your teeth afterward.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    It'll steal your TV and use your toothbrush to clean the toilet. :devil:

:laugh:

In moderation it's not going to pose a problem if you are getting sufficient calcium and water in your diet. Brush your teeth afterward.

lol--
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but x0daniela has the cutest "quizzical" look on her face. Great pic! :laugh:
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    Hi. I used to be addicted to diet coke. It is bad for us older women because it can start early osteoporosis. While dieting you should always limit the amount of caffeine that you take in because caffeine acts as a diuretic and that's the last thing you need while dieting...being dehydrated that is. Everything in moderation. Someone here said it has a lot of sodium in it. And it does. If you have too much sodium daily, you will have a fluid shift in your body...in your cells. The fluid will hang out around the cells. We call that 3rd spacing. And that's bad. It makes your weight go up as well. That fluid becomes trapped and since it outside the cell, it has a party making you feel bloated and swollen. So when you hop on the scale... with the extra fluid on board, you will definitely gain weight. The effects are only temporary, unless you consume too much salt every day for a long time....

I don't think an occasional diet soda is bad for you.....everything in moderation.

Good luck!!

Kathy
    41101.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • Kimono
    Options
    An occasionaly Diet soda probably isn't horrible. But for some people (me) that stuff is like Crack and we just can't have an occasional one. I have been having one for breakfast with my oatmeal for years. Now 48 + ounces a day, probably not my healthiest habbit.
  • Zoey4u
    Zoey4u Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It works for me zero everything and it doens't make me crave other things
  • Kimono
    Options
    It works for me zero everything and it doens't make me crave other things

That's great. I have never wanted to stop before, and I don't think it makes me crave other things either. But I have been following MFP to a T since Feb. 10th. I have lost nothing in lbs or inches. So I figured I would give this a shot. If what Jillian from B.L. says (below) is true or has an ounce of truth too it, then maybe this is my problem. If not I guess I could always start drinking it again, but after I have the extra 200 bucks a month in my pocket I doubt I will.

This is what Jillian says about artificial sweetners.

Sweeteners
    At only 16 calories a tablespoon, sugar is better for you than any artificial sweeteners, which are loaded with chemicals that can increase appetite and store fat.

“Artificial sweeteners are what’s called an excitotoxin, and what they can do is re-train your metabolism to not recognize the calories in sweet foods,” Jillian explains. “In theory, according to several studies, they excite the part of your brain that controls appetite and release a hormone called neuropeptide Y that increases appetite and stores fat.”