Curves vs. Home Workouts

I'm looking for some opinions. I'm currently signed up at Curves and try to go over there after work. I used to go in the mornings, but now it has gotten too hard to get out of bed when it's dark to go.

I don't mind Curves, I like the idea of it only being a half hour, but people keep telling me to work out harder on the machines and rest on the platforms. I understand this helps build the muscle which in turn helps lose the weight.

Curves also has Zumba once a week and I really enjoy that. I like being able to move around for the entire time keeping my heart-rate up.

I've been contemplating stopping my membership at Curves and just workout at home. What do you guys prefer to do? and what are your favorite workout videos? any suggestions for beginners? (I tried one of Jillian Micheal's video's and it damned near killed me. A 260lb woman flopping around isn't attractive)

Replies

• midnitemunchies
    midnitemunchies Posts: 9 Member
    working out at home is so convenient but hard to stay accountable to! Good luck!
  • Starleng1
    Starleng1 Posts: 142
    bump
  • nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    I'm looking for some opinions. I'm currently signed up at Curves and try to go over there after work. I used to go in the mornings, but now it has gotten too hard to get out of bed when it's dark to go.

I don't mind Curves, I like the idea of it only being a half hour, but people keep telling me to work out harder on the machines and rest on the platforms. I understand this helps build the muscle which in turn helps lose the weight.

Curves also has Zumba once a week and I really enjoy that. I like being able to move around for the entire time keeping my heart-rate up.

I've been contemplating stopping my membership at Curves and just workout at home. What do you guys prefer to do? and what are your favorite workout videos? any suggestions for beginners? (I tried one of Jillian Micheal's video's and it damned near killed me. A 260lb woman flopping around isn't attractive)

That's one of my concerns as well...but I haven't gone to Curves as often as I would like, so I'm afraid I'm just wasting my money.
  • terriepage
    terriepage Posts: 17 Member
    I have worked out at gyms and at home. Home workouts can be great if you have enough equipment. You don't have to primp or wear anything attractive and you save the commute time to the facility which can be the entire length of a workout. The downside is interruptions. The phone rings, the FedEx guy needs a signature, the kids run into the room, etc.. Once you are at the gym, it is easier to get motivated because working out is all there is to do. You have to ask yourself if you get distracted easily, have an active household and enough equipment to get the job done.
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    I am a massive at-home workout advocate. I only go to the gym one day a week now, to do my step class.

The Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred is perfect for you, and what's great about being at home is you can go at your own pace. But like the earlier poster said, you have to be accountable, you have to show up. No one is going to burn the calories for you.

In my opinion, you should set aside a time every day at the exact same time (for me, it's while dinner is cooking) to get your workout done. You will feel so amazing once it's done.

Sorry to say this, but I've heard some negative things about Curves, such as: sitting down and exercising will not get you the results you want, you are only targeting that particular muscle. Know what I mean?

With Jillian Michael's videos, while they are still shorter in duration, just like the Curves program, you are working multiple muscle groups at the same time... smaller muscles with the bigger muscles, plus you are incorporating cardio and abs... all for 25 minutes.

Once you graduate from something like 30 Day Shred, the world will be your oyster, there are a million videos to choose from (all the Beachbody workouts are fantastic, but might be a bit advanced for you right now). There's also the Biggest Loser workout, or Tae Boe? Just check it out here on MFP before you buy your next workout.

Good luck!
  • terriepage
    terriepage Posts: 17 Member
    I love Gilad's workouts. He has the Express workouts, Core and More, Power and Grace and many more. He is a great trainer and you can modify if you need to. You don't need a lot of equipment and he explains everything very well. Google his name and you can find his dvd's which are very affordable. You can add more weight as you become more fit and repeat segments to lengthen a workout. He rocks. The Firm is good too but I find the choreography can be challenging and you need a bunch of their equipment which can get expensive and clutters up your house.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,321 Member
    I think that Curves works great but after a while all good work outs need to be changed. If it is working for you now don't worry what people think. If you have been doing it for a while and need to push your exercise up a notch either add to it or as you mention give up your membership and do something else. I wanted to join Curves because it gave me an easy way into weight training and my gym had machines but offered no help unless I paid a bunch more. However I knew that after a while Curves would not be enough for me. I love that they have Zumba. I couldn't afford both so I didn't join. I go to a Latin Heat (Zumba) class at my gym and it is all dance for the whole hour and really great. I also like my aquafit class too. Frankly if you are meeting your goals for weight loss and exercise and it fits your life stay with it. If it doesn't then it is time for a change. I have the Zumba tapes but haven't really gotten a chance to try them. I was doing C25K and going to my class. I finally have started weight training at my club but it took me 2 years and alot of internet research and even a false start or 2 to do it. I also love my aquafit classes. I thought I would grow out of them but they continue to slim and tone my body. They are great at core work as well. I do have a really great teacher thought. Don't worry about how you look. Most things you need to take at your pace. I remember that when I first went to aquafit I did things easier. Now I push each exercise to the limit. In Zumba I am doing things in a low impact way but eventually I figure I will have to take it up a notch as I get in better shape. That is how it will be for most exercise. So you need strength training and cardio. So if you stop Curves you need to figure out how to get both these things at your level. Then at some point you may need more challenge and need to adjust again. Best wishes.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    I have to say it's easy to do cardio at home, no brainer.

But to work out every muscle group the same way you do at curves at home is boooooooring. I hate every single toning video i have ever done & have never done 1 more than twice.... but thats just me.

I think being able to go to curves you can work out every muscle group without having to think about it too much every day is a great way to go. Besides... you can always do MORE cardio at home through the week on top of curves.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member

I(I tried one of Jillian Micheal's video's and it damned near killed me. A 260lb woman flopping around isn't attractive)

its not about what you look like its about the burn!

try couch to 5k, i havnt done it but i do interval running all the time.
    great for beginners. google it or search it.
  • corieueber
    corieueber Posts: 72 Member
    depends how good you are at making yourself workout and pushing yourself to work hard.

I love the gym because l find l workout harder otherwise l feel l've wasted the effort to get there if l don't push myself, class is my ideal workout cause l do different exercises and the instructor is there to encourage/push me.

If l can't make a class l will use the cardio and weight room and do a combo of workouts the trainers have worked out for me and exercises l've done in class.

If l really can't get to the gym (no one else to watch the kids) l do a home workout, l don't have any dvd's or equipment but l've done pt with different instructors and they have given me a load of exercises that can be done without equipment, to keep it varied l plan to do 8 different exercises that use different muscles, bit like this;

A x 20 rep - B x 20 rep do 4 rounds
    C x 20 rep - D x 20 rep do 4 rounds
    E x 20 rep - F x 20 rep do 4 rounds
    G x 20 rep - H x 20 rep do 4 rounds

I wear my HRM to keep me on track and l can change what areas l focus on - abs/legs/arms or total mix of all