On My Way To A Raw Vegan Lifestyle

Options
I been doing a lot of research on a raw vegan lifestyle, So I decided to try it out. I do pretty good until my husband asks me "what kind of meat are we having for dinner?" I always seem to cheat at the end of the day. the good thing is I increased my vegetable intake by 70% and decreased my meat intake a great deal. I cant wait until i can finally say no to meat all the way. the only meat I'm going to eat is Tilapia. I heard its the cleanest fish you can eat. I still have to do some research on that to be sure. I'm going to start posting links and recipes for organic raw living. here is a link on the benefits of raw organic foods.

What Are the Benefits of Eating Raw Vegetables?
Vitamins and Minerals

Raw vegetables are a wonderful source of vitamins A, C and E, a well as B-complex vitamins, potassium and calcium. Vitamin A is essential to vision, skin health and disease prevention. B-complex vitamins perform myriad tasks, including aiding in red blood cell production and the prevention of neural tube birth defects. Vitamin C plays an important role in collagen production and iron absorption, and vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant. Potassium can help regulate blood pressure, and calcium is essential to healthy bones. Cooking vegetables at high temperatures or for long periods of time can significantly reduce their content of vitamin C and B-complex vitamins.
Printable Calorie Chart The Ultimate Healthy Living Toolbar Get Daily Fitness Tips & More. Free DFC.DailyBurn.com
Sponsored Links
Antioxidants

Raw vegetables are a rich source of antioxidants, or chemical compounds that help prevent or reverse cellular damage caused by free radicals. Free-radical damage is linked to heart disease and cancer. In addition to aiding in the prevention of heart disease and cancer, antioxidants also play a role in reducing the risk of Alzheimer's disease and arthritis and in slowing the aging process, according to the University of Michigan Integrative Medicine program. Certain antioxidants, such as beta carotene, are not as readily absorbed by the body from cooked vegetables as they are from raw vegetables. It should be noted that cooking actually improves the bioavailability of lycopene, an antioxidant found in tomatoes.
Fiber

Raw vegetables are one of the best sources of dietary fiber. Diets rich in fiber can lower cholesterol levels and help prevent cardiovascular disease. Fiber can also prevent constipation and lower the risk of diverticulitis.
Weight Loss

Raw vegetables' high water and fiber content makes them low-calorie, filling foods that can aid in weight loss by satiating hunger without significantly contributing to daily caloric intakes. Raw vegetables also have a low glycemic index, which means they cause gradual increases in blood sugar levels instead of spiking blood sugar levels, which can then lead to a rapid drop in blood sugar levels, causing fatigue and increased hunger.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/258893-what-are-the-benefits-of-eating-raw-vegetables/#ixzz1ZwTgt3Yw

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I applaud you!!! I have always wanted this! It is hard when the rest of the family doesn't want to, if I was you I would make meals that they can add the meat too, so you don't have to but they will get more veggies too!
  • garangirl
    Options
    Right on! Go for it - the food's tasty and super healthy!
  • LadyNeshoba
    LadyNeshoba Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The only thing about raw veggies that I don't like...is the fact that they kill my stomach.

I have IBS and my body has a hard time digesting the raw veggies which really stinks cause I love most of my veggies raw!

So as long as you're able to and not hurt yourself I say go for it!! :D
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    the only drawback of a raw food diet is that you can't have any carbs! no quinoa, no rice, bulgur wheat, nothing. It will be hard to get all your calories and macros in in the right proportions--just make sure to eat a LOT of nuts!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I can't wait to hear what recipe you have planned.
  • Thaea
    Thaea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Do you mean vegan (that includes no dairy or eggs)? Or just vegetarian?

I've been a vegetarian and lost a ton of weight since starting. Raw vegetables are currently the main staple of my diet. Keep trying! You'll feel sooo much better!
  • stupidthick5150
    Options
    thank you I'm tryin alright, I think I'm still gonna eat eggs once in a while but I'm gana try to keep it raw. We will see how it goes! :)
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I've been vegetarian for 6 months, and eating a vegan diet for the last 3 weeks. I find I do best with one switch at a time. After the holidays, my plan is to cut out sugar. That will give me 5 months to get used to this new way of eating. So far I love the no dairy/eggs. I will say I have done better doing smaller changes, giving up one thing at a time till that feels normal to me :).

As for the meat, when I first gave it up, I massively increased the percentage of veggies I ate in anything. To the point that the textures and tastes left me full without needing the meat. I found meat was much more mental than an actual need.
  • jesslilme
    Options
    Oh my gosh your gonna feel absolutely amazing!!! I do it the first week of every month. When I first started though I did the detox so 21 days. But it makes you feel wonderful and plus you eat a ton. Like 4 pounds of veggies a day.
  • stupidthick5150
    Options
    I agree
  • DietPep1978
    Options
    Good for you! I myself am considering this. Not Raw Vegan but more vegan. I have a cousin who is vegan and so is her bf. I find a lot of support in her. She feeds me once in a while and her stuff is yummy.

I have thought of this a few times over the years. Mainly after talking with vegetarians about why they are and after reading books or documentaries supporting veganism (ie. Food Inc, Skinny B*tch, etc).

What has finally hit home for me...watching "Forks Over Knives". We watched it just earlier this week. I'd HIGHLY recommend watching this documentary! It has the science and people to back up the reasoning for a plant based diet. And it just makes sense. The documentary covered all the myths to animal protein and why we "need" to consume it, backed it up with large scale science numbers on the correlation between cancer/diabetes and other health issues and animal protein.

It was eye opening. I never take anything as the absolute truth but the evidence was pretty hard to ignore. Anyway...I think it hit home so hard for me because of an accumulation of information and thoughts within myself.

I'm in the midst of doing a lot of research and in the meantime I am increasing my veggie and fruit intake quite a bit.

All the best to you!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    the only meat I'm going to eat is Tilapia.
    thank you I'm tryin alright, I think I'm still gonna eat eggs once in a while but I'm gana try to keep it raw. We will see how it goes! :)

You are hilarious.
  • stupidthick5150
    Options
    I'm definitely gonna have to watch that it sounds really interesting, I been doing a lot of research and i watched this one video on you tube were this lady was healed from cancer by praying and eating vegetables. you should try it i know you can do it :)
  • beckykaz
    beckykaz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead is another great documentary that will inspire you. It's funny too. :)
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    the only meat I'm going to eat is Tilapia.

You are hilarious.

Yeah, the "vegan" in your thread title is unnecessary. You can still be "raw," but you will not be "vegan" if you eat the way you describe in your original post.
  • ZoeArnesen
    ZoeArnesen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You should read Douglas Grahams book 80/10/10, its amazing and I wish it had been the first raw book I ever read.
  • DeeBear
    DeeBear Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I have been seriously thinking about trying this also. Please keep posting so we can watch and see how you are doing. It will be interesting to follow you and then try this myself after the first of the year.
  • MarlaChandlerBarton
    MarlaChandlerBarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My hubby and I are doing raw. We eat a ton of sprouts in salads and wraps. So, it's pretty much a vegan type life style but not 100% of the time. We go off about once a week usually just to keep it interesting. It's amazing how the lbs just seem to melt off on this way of eating. Of course we stopped eating sugar for the most part (last night we cheated it was his birthday and a BIG one too). Best of luck, it's totally doable :)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Raw food is great for you. But so is cooked food. Some nutrients only become bioavailable after cooking. Tomatoes and beans fall into this category.

As far as fish goes, Tilapia is garbage and not that great for you. For you and the earth, the best seafood protein source are small fish like sardines, anchovies and smelts. Of course, you'll probably want to cook it.
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    For me, successful veganism is all about my cookbooks. Although I eat A LOT of raw foods, I'm not a raw vegan. When I found some good cookbooks, it all became so much easier. I love "Peas and Thank You," and "The Happy Herbivore" at the moment. I haven't tried "The Kind Diet" but a lot of people like it, and I have seen raw vegan cookbooks at the bookstore. The website www.fatfreevegan.com helps me a lot too.

I have not cheated, not even once, since I started at the end of August, and I went cold (vegan) turkey, although I've eaten too many calories at times. Daiya cheese helps when I need gooey cheesy goodness some days. I just use a little bit and make sure it's melted. I try to avoid TVP and other highly processed soy products, but eat plenty of tofu and tempeh.

Best of luck to all of you. This is definitely a journey worth taking for so many reasons.

Laura