panic attacks?

Options
i know this isn't dieting-related, but i have recently been getting panic attacks. not from anxiety or from any cause, just random panic attacks. it has never happened to me before, and i am wondering if anyone else has this problem?? thanks all :)

Replies

• sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    There are many causes, health and mental.

See a doctor.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    keep of log of when it happens and the duration of it.

you might be able to find it's triggers by seeing it on a calendar.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    what helped me is reading up on it and realizing im not going to die of a heart attack. once i knew that they became manageable and eventually stopped....i just breathe deeply when i can feel one coming on and they go away...they definitely dont always need a trigger and come out of nowhere...if they happen often and you cant control it id go see a doctor
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    Options
    Panic attacks are not just random. There is a triger. I agree with above post. seek medical advice :)
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Yes. The last time I had a panic attack I was sitting there watching Family Guy with the hubby, laughing and enjoying the show and then WHAM! Panic attack hit me like a ton of bricks. It's been about 2 years since I've had one though.
  • Thinwithin2010
    Thinwithin2010 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Seel medical attention from your Dr. There is a reason and they can help you. Don't be afraid of the attacks or seeking help. There are all kinds of things that can trigger them. Feel better!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Breathe. Seriously, it could be that simple. Take deep breaths. (from your lower abdomen)

Breathe In to a count of 4 (one thousand, two thousand, three thousand, four thousand)

Hold for count of 2

Breathe Out to a count of 4

There are physiological reasons we hold our breath unknowingly (flight or fight response) - then if we hold it too long, the body responds by reacting to the buildup of carbon dioxide - it could be as simple as a biochemical response to shallow breathing or holding your breath.

Breathe.
  • alipin1
    alipin1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I first got panic attacks about 5 years ago, I sounded the same as you. I was fine, just having attacks. After they got worse I saw a psychologist for 6 months and she helped me figure out all the things that were stressing me out that I didn't realize or want to realize. I'm not suggesting you see a shrink, I'm suggesting you do some soul searching (as hockie as that sounds) I am now able to realize what is bothering when I get one, still takes a while though. Here's a good example. When the recession hit our financial household had to tighten up in order to make it through. Once the finances were back in order and we were on solid ground, I had an attack in the parking lot of the Walmart, and worse one during a class at the gym :( After a couple of weeks I realized that when I went to the gym or walmart I was spending money and it was causing me to get panic attacks... crazy right! So maybe if you take a look at when your getting them you can start to locate what is really bothering you... hope this helps... good luck.
  • thumperj2u
    thumperj2u Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had a anxiety attack and that triggered my panic attack. I had never been that type of person and it just came out of the blue. They are very scarey but there is alot of information on the internet about them and ways to control them. I found it very helpful and I haven't had one is a long time. My Doctor told me it can happen to anyone at anytime. There is no certain type of person. Just remember, you may feel like you are going to dye, but that will not happen. Good luck and try not to be afraid. :flowerforyou:
  • frmeital
    Options
    Try thses self help methods, they are very helpful:

"1. When a Panic Attack Comes – Listen to Your Thoughts

Take a deep breath and listen to your thoughts. Do you like you are going to die? Validate this idea. Does it make sense? Is there any evidence that you are going to die right now? Remind yourself – your difficulty to breath, your chest pain or back pain and your heart racing – is caused by the panic attacks and nothing else! Write it down on a peace of paper a few times.

Now, replace this feeling with positive ideas. This may seem difficult, but if you challenge your anxious ideas and prove them wrong (hey, another minute has passed and you’re still not dying!), they will fade away. Put on the mental brakes and ignore the scary thoughts.

2. Practice Relaxation Methods

You should devote about 20 minutes for relaxation exercises every day. At least at first. These will reduce the stress that often leads to anxiety and panic attacks.

Go to a quiet room, sit down comfortably and take a deep breath. When you exhale, imagine that all your fear and anxiety leaves your body along with the air from your lungs. You can imagine that these thoughts are a swarm of black little creatures that you are releasing from your body.

Next, lie down and beginning with your toes, tense and relax each muscle with your eyes closed. Tense with inhale, release with exhale. These are proven and guaranteed methods for relaxation for thousands of years. Allow yourself to remain relaxed for 5 more minutes, now you can return to your activities.

3. Be Prepared for Your Next Panic Attack

When you’re not in a state of anxiety or panic, make a list of things that scare you. When it’s done, write down reassuring and calming statements that relax you. The exact opposite of your fears. When the next panic attack emerges, take this list and use it immediately. Fill your list with lots of soothing messages.

This will be very helpful to prevent panic attacks. It is very important to stop panic attacks dead in its tracks and this is an easy way to do that."

Source: http://www.natural-alternative-therapies.com/3-self-help-methods-to-stop-panic-attacks/