Indigestion / Heartburn after restaurant food

Options
Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I've been keeping myself fairly strict on what I eat, no added salt (at all), low fat everything, plenty of fruit and veg etc. I have allowed myself 'treat' days every now and then too. On these treat days i might get some fast food or chocolate but then get back on the wagon the next day.

Now here's the thing. When I eat this bad food, I'm quite alright. But in the past couple of months I have been to a Greek restaurant and last night went to an Italian restaurant and afterwards I get heartburn so bad that it wakes me up at all hours and I have to have 3+ mylantas to ease it!

I've never suffered from heartburn before but I figured my body was just adapting to my dietary changes. I was thinking it might be from the extra salt or perhaps fat in the restaurant food, but then I dont have any trouble after eating McDonalds!! So it's all a bit confusing.

Anyone else have similar issues or advice?

Replies

• sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It could also depend on WHAT you ate at those restaurants. For example, tomato sauce at an Italian restaurant could do it. Or spices at the Greek..things that are acidic. Since I changed my diet, my very frequent heartburn has ceased, but now I notice it after a few specific things.
  • Thinwithin2010
    Thinwithin2010 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I myself have this issue if I eat to late at night or lay down shortly after I eat. Doesn't matter what kind of food. But I do feel food out is worse then what I make at home. I live on tums as our schedule is more late night dinners.. Trying to correct it now. Feel better
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Greek anditalian food both have a lot of acid. Try taking a shot of apple cider vinegar or acv pills before the meal. This ups the right kind of acid to balance things out
  • captawesome
    captawesome Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You're right! I was going to add that I dont have a problem with tomatos, creamy stuff, herbs or spices or hot HOT curries either...
  • BrowneJen
    BrowneJen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    When I over eat then come home and go to bed I get horrible heartburn.....anything...it doesn't have to be fat...could be fruit, coffee anything acidy?? I try not to eat at least 3-4 hours before I go to bed?? Good Luck. Jen
  • captawesome
    captawesome Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!

It could be from overeating or eating later than normal, it was just strange considering I dont have any problems with specific foods. The apple cider vinegar sounds like a great idea! Might have to try that on my next restaruant run :)