Top Ten Diet Myth's Debunked

Options
I wanted to share this article. I'm sure that it's be posted somewhere here before, but I thought I'd share it anyway. Martin's style is a bit blunt, but every point he makes is backed with science which I love! Check it out:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

Replies

• TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I find so much of the advice given by other members on here to be misunderstood pseudoscieence, which is simply repeated parrot fashion.

When I first joined, some myths on here were so prevalent on the boards, I started to doubt my own knowledge and wondered whether there had been further recent research I was unaware of, but going back to the basics of peer reviewed academic studies has shown me that no, nothing has changed.

Apart, of course, than the internet now making myths of all types easier to spread, and somehow made people more willing to believe things that surely if they were told by a bloke in a pub, they'd laugh! Credulity reigns supreme...
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I really wanted to post this article because there seems to be so many who state conventional wisdom as fact. I was one of those people for years, but I never questioned those concepts because I heard them from so many sources. I was just hoping this article might open a few peoples eyes enough, for them to start a journey of questioning what they "know" and what they hear. That's the journey I've been on lately, and I'm really thnakful for it!
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I know it's been posted here before because it's how I discovered IF back in June. I see nothing wrong with posting again. I don't think there's anyway I would have stuck with my weightloss this long without IF.
  • Timdog57
    Options
    Yeah, I think IF can make weight loss extremely easy!!
  • Timdog57
    Options
    bump
  • msbrowneyes85
    Options
    :happy: Bumping this for later :happy:
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bumpity
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Up you go Martin!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Up you go Martin!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think IF can make weight loss extremely easy!!
    Doesn't work for me unfortunately, over the years I've learned that if I don't eat three times a day my hunger can spiral out of control and I end up eating things that aren't good for me - basically everything in sight! But on those few occasions when I don't feel like eating, at least I don't panic about my metabolism crashing to a halt. :smile:
  • captawesome
    captawesome Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    is it sad that one of the things I noticed first was " Many people believe that alcohol is fattening, more so than any other macronutrient. Yet, if you look at how inefficiently the body converts ethanol to fat, you'll find that it's completely backwards. I talked about this in "The Truth about Alcohol, Fat Loss and Muscle Growth". Also note how the proposed negative effect of alcohol on muscle growth doesn't even exist in the scientific literature."

hehe
  • Timdog57
    Options
    is it sad that one of the things I noticed first was " Many people believe that alcohol is fattening, more so than any other macronutrient. Yet, if you look at how inefficiently the body converts ethanol to fat, you'll find that it's completely backwards. I talked about this in "The Truth about Alcohol, Fat Loss and Muscle Growth". Also note how the proposed negative effect of alcohol on muscle growth doesn't even exist in the scientific literature."

hehe

HA! I don't know if it was the first thing I noticed, but it certainly was GREAT news!
  • HunterCML
    Options
    It's awesome to realize these truths and the science behind them. You become "free" in a sense.

If anyone else is interested in these types of "shocking truths", I would recommend giving this a look.

http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/546558-the-most-shocking-diet-myths/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fanpage&utm_campaign=dietmyths111011#slide-1