Bereavement and Keeping on the Wagon...

Options
Hi all in MFP world....

So I got hit with some really hard news today...my grandfather passed away suddenly from a heart attack. It hit me like a ton of bricks and I'm still processing. However, I'm also trying to think of the progress I've made and I don't want to lose what I've been working so hard to achieve. I'm trying to watch what I eat, but I'm afraid of what's going to happen once I go home. I'm already feeling stressed about taking off from work and going through the final process of laying him to rest....

I was just wondering if other people out there have gone through a loss in their family while on here and how they've gotten through it...

Thanks in advance.

~Me

Replies

• Shannoncore
    Options
    just take it one day at a time. if you slip one day, the next is a new day so start again.
  • TurtleJeepChic
    Options
    When you feel like you need to just cry or get out by yourself...take a walk, go run or jog, take someone with you or just put some good jammin music on....allow yourself to heal but remember you can do it with healthy choices and active ways to help pass your grief.... sending prayers.... :flowerforyou:
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi all in MFP world....

So I got hit with some really hard news today...my grandfather passed away suddenly from a heart attack. It hit me like a ton of bricks and I'm still processing. However, I'm also trying to think of the progress I've made and I don't want to lose what I've been working so hard to achieve. I'm trying to watch what I eat, but I'm afraid of what's going to happen once I go home. I'm already feeling stressed about taking off from work and going through the final process of laying him to rest....

I was just wondering if other people out there have gone through a loss in their family while on here and how they've gotten through it...

Thanks in advance.

~Me

sweetie, i'm so sorry for your loss and i hope you and your fam are doing ok. like shannon said, take it one day at a time! the best thing you can do for yourself and your grieving process is to TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. get sleep, eat as best you can, exercise, and be gentle with yourself. all you can do is your best! please let me know if there's anything i can do. :flowerforyou:
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    A horrible tragedy happened in my family earlier this spring. One family member died, and another should have (at the hands of the first) but miraculously survived. I felt like life would never go back to normal.

MFP is one of the reasons I got through it as well as I did. It gave me something else to focus on, even for a little while. It gave me some consistency when the rest of my world was turned upside down.

Funny thing is, I don't think any of my MFP friends realized how much they helped me get through it. But I am very thankful for their prayers and support.

I agree to just take it one day at a time; make a reasonable daily goal, and if you don't make it, start fresh the next day.

Take care.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandfather. Stressful life events do tend to make us want to reach for familiar comfort and for many of us that has included food. Part of the process of weight-loss with maintenance is learning better means of stress management. For me that means prayer, meditation, conversation with friends, or taking a walk, or perhaps choosing to eat a crunchy apple. Eating healthy during this difficult time will leave you with more energy, too. Take care....and I'm saying a prayer for you, too.
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My grandfather passed a few months ago as well. He was the leader and patriarch of the family. Totally knocked me over.

Grief and Love are two of the most powerful emotions that impact our fitness and weight loss efforts. Both can either cause us to gain or lose large amounts of weight depending on how we channel the emotion. The key is channeling the emotion properly. For example, my grandfather and many of his children suffer from heart disease. I channeled my grief into dedicating the next three months to my grandfather's memory in strengthening my heart through good cardio exercise and better eating.

You can do something like running a race in his memory, putting his picture on one of your workout shirts, or simply incorporating his memory in the place of something that you would normally eat/drink that wouldn't be good for you. For example, every time I had the urge to grab a soda, I would grab some water instead and thank God for the great grandfather I had.

it's all about how you channel the emotions. Channel them in a positive direction.

God Bless!

Shawn
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. I lost a boyfriend earlier this year unexpectantly (he was only 30, I'm 23) and I don't think I have fully gotten back on the wagon since. And now my grandfather is suffering from terminal cancer and just had a stroke, so the stress is even more. I guess the best advice I have is to take care of yourself as best as you can. Get rid of stress or emotions through exercise, and try to avoid the kitchen if you are emotional. Maybe instead of over eating or emotional eating try to write or get out your feelings some other way. I hope you get some rest, take care, and can get through this. I'll be thinking about you.