What am I doing wrong?

Options
What am I doing wrong? I just can't loose the weight! I have been working out since June 2011 at least 4 to 5 days of the week. My workout sessions combine wt training and cardio (workouts are 1 hr and 15 minutes). My caloric range is from 1400 to 1500 calories. Since the weight scale won't budge, I figure that maybe I have been loosing inches instead. So, I tried on some clothes that I could no longer fit and found that I still could not fit in them. I feel like I am in this hole and cannot get out of it. I have never weighed this much before and I feel this weight gain affecting my self-esteem I hate seeing what I see in the mirror. Nothing is working. What am I doing wrong? Miserable at 5'1 and 175 lbs.

Replies

• emmiee921
    emmiee921 Posts: 224
    Options
    you have been at a lower weight before so im sure you can do it. maybe take your diary off private so we can see if you are eating anything wrong. and keep trying!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? Do you have HRM that tells you how many calories you burn, or are you relying on MFP/Machines?

There are lots of things that could be happening. I agree with emmiee921, you should open your diary, maybe people could help more!
  • Thinwithin2010
    Thinwithin2010 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    yes if interested go into the settings and make it public then somebody can see if it is with the foods.. Don't give up! Keep at it. goodluck!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Have been to the doctor? Maybe a checkup is in order? Open up your diary so you can be better advised.
    Oh and I live in Houston too....we are about the same age! Good luck to you!!
  • sarah829522
    Options
    see your doc. it could be a medical condition. if you measure and weigh and wear a HRM and you're certain about the 1400-1500 cals. but if you're off by even 100 cals per day that could very well be the problem.

and if you want help from MFP members you can open up your diary to be public so that people can give you nutrition advice.

and if you don't want to make it public, then i would say you could always drop down the cals by 500 cals per day (net) to see where that gets you in a week.
  • jjpuxty
    Options
    There must be an error in your recording, or perhaps your calculations, because you should be losing some weight now, particularly with your exercise. Out of interest are you doing something to guage your fitness, such as three monthly fitness assessments? That can help keep your exercise on track.

Are you having a "cheat day" here and there? What is your diary compliance like? As others have said, perhaps if you open up your diary there can be some help in that regard.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    First thing I noticed is you are consistently over in your sodium, maybe you can start by bringing that number down.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and started off at 175lbs. I've been eating at 1200 cals and working out 50minutes 4-5 days a week and having success...maybe dropping a few hundred calories to 1200 may help. I'd also suggest at HRM. I'm surprised at what I burn and how off the machines and MFP are at calculating calories burned.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You eat too much salt and dont drink enough water. What happens is your body will retain water if your eating too much salt so it looks like the problem is that it's not that your not losing weight (fat) its that your retaining water which makes it look like your not losing anything.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    One thing I noticed is your sodium is usually pretty high. Try cutting out processed and fast foods and make sure you drink a ton of water.

Good luck!
  • stevemcqueengirl
    stevemcqueengirl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi to everyone!
    I have made my diary open. I just joing MFP in October. Prior to MFP, I was on myapex.com which had also tracked my calories. I try not eat back my calories. I joined MFP to get a better gauge on my eating habits. Tuesday night was a big let down and I really cheated - this was after trying on the clothes that did not fit. Therefore, you will see some major calories. I did not work out as much as I wanted to last week.

I am planning on seeing a doctor about the condition. I use to weigh 145 lbs. I can't believe that I let myself get this big.
    Many thanks for your help
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    After looking I think a way you could slowly cut down your sodium is decreasing the ketchup and barbecue sauce. That will cut out a lot of sodium there.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I would agree with a lot of the posts that say "go to the doctor" there could be a medical reason that you are not losing weight, always get it checked out! It is better to go to the doctor to get results (positive or negative) than to just let it sit there and possibly be something that you needed help with. I know we were wondering the same thing for me because I am kind of in the same boat as you are - all my tests came back negative but she was giving me different diets to try which has really helped me out a lot. Sometimes you just need a change to shock your body into where it needs to head. I hope things get cleared up for you!
  • stevemcqueengirl
    Options
    Many thanks for your response. Glad to have found a Houston member! I will lower the sodium.
  • sarah829522
    Options
    you could try to make your own soups with low-sodium broths. it's very easy to do with fresh veggies and a little chicken or beef.

also if you cut the ketchup and bbq in half down to 2 TBSP, both of those things will help with sodium.
  • handy05
    handy05 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When was the last time you went to the Dr.? Your sodium seems awfully high, maybe its water retention. Beware, and go see the Dr.!!

Hope this helps? Keep pushing forward, it will work! Good Luck!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Not being able to see your food diary it is impossible to say what if anything you are doing wrong.

The most common mistakes are:

1) Not measuring your food consumption correctly and eating more than you think you are. Using a kitchen scale and measuring spoons and cups is a must. It is very easy to think what you have on your plate is less than it actually is. For that matter, don't trust the nutrition info on pre-portioned foods (ie. this number of whatever is this many calories) as the portions are often incorrect. If you weigh a slice of bread and compare it to what the nutrition information on the bag says for a slice to the weight a slice is supposed to be, you will more often than not find a slice weighs more than what they say it will which means it has more calories. Related to this is selecting the incorrect activity level if you selected too high.

2) Not eating enough. The key to weight loss is a moderate deficit. That is why MFP suggests a 1 pound per week weight loss not a 2 pound per week one. Also MFP expects you to eat your exercise calories as it has already worked the calorie deficit into your calorie budget. If you have too much of a deficit over a long enough period of time it will hinder weight loss causing your body to do whatever it can to reduce the calories you burn in a day. Related to this is selecting the incorrect activity level selecting too low.

3) Eating too much processed food and neglecting veggies, nuts, meat and other less processed foods. Refined sugar can cause a huge amount of problems for some people, in particular those who are insulin resistance in some way. This would include women with PCOS.

4) Medical problems like PCOS, Thyroid problems and the like can make losing weight difficult if they are not taken into account. If you have been doing everything right and are not losing you may need to make a trip to your doctor to see if you have an underlying health issue. Related to this certain medications make losing weight difficult. If you are on any medication check with your pharmacist to see if that is the case with them.

If you open your diary we may be able to help more.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Monster amounts of sodium, and not much water. Need I say more?
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    What jumped out to me was that your sodium is quite high and is high most days. Your water intake is pretty low, so you are not flushing that extra sodium from your system.

Maybe try not eating back your exercise calories. Everyone is different, but that is what works best for me.
  • stevemcqueengirl
    Options
    yes if interested go into the settings and make it public then somebody can see if it is with the foods.. Don't give up! Keep at it. goodluck!

Many thanks!!