stretch marks from LOSING weight?

Options
HELP! I have been losing weight slowly but have gained new stretch marks! Not far :( Is there anything I can do to minimise them or to stop them from coming? Anyone else having this problem?

Replies

• JUDGEDBY1
    JUDGEDBY1 Posts: 115
    Options
    hey,
    Just like you when i started lossing weight I started relising that everytym I loose and inch or so i find to have stretch marks. Many may have them real promenent lyk RED and sum white faded in their skin tone. But after sum tym i found that using Bio Oild helps alot, especially when its read, what it does is fades it into your skin tone so you can see them no more. Give t a try and see if it works for you. It'll take sum tym so don't expect results after ur first go
    thumbs up !!
  • patronussky
    Options
    I wish I could help you - but all of my stretch marks are from gaining weight :( The only thing I can suggest is try not to lose weight too rapidly. Good luck!
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Bio-oil is great I put on weight pretty fast and I get terrible stretch marks but its a little miracle!
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    They were there before, they appeared when you gained the weight in the first place. They only become visible now. Use lotion daily, it helps the skin's elasticity, but won't make the stretch marks disappear. They will fade over time, though.
    I really like myself with a toned body and some stretch marks than fat and no visible ones. So think of them as your "battle scars" :)
  • healthieramanda
    healthieramanda Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It can happen if you're putting on/ losing weight quickly. Your skin is pretty much elastic and if it's been stretched for some time and then loosens quickly it can result in stretch marks. I'd suggest bio oil or cocoa butter.
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Bio-oil, Palmers cocoa butter or Nutrimetics Nutri-rich oil. Use twice daily, they won'y cure them completely but they will help. Might take months or years. until then, wear your stretch marks with pride!
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Don't ever feel bad about getting stretch marks. EVERY woman gets them. It just comes with the territory. Hell, even body builders have them!!! That's right! I agree with the Bio-oil. It's like $12 at Target. Works wonders I hear. Also, I don't think you get stretch marks from losing weight. You got them when you gained weight. They are just more obvious now because of the loosening skin...
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Agree with the ladies about bio-oil, but depending on where you are in the world, talk to your pharmacist and head for the expectant mother's section. There are any number of lotions and potions to assist with minimising srtetch marks. Good luck!!!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I've been using cocoa butter with Vit. E.collagen and elastin designed for expectant mums, but as my belly's as big as any pregnant lady's, I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Can't yet say how well it's working, but it has reduced the appearance of the red marks where my tummy skin folds over on to my pubic area. I do have a few stretch marks on my belly from years ago when I lost and gained and also on my upper thighs.

I've heard of bio-oil too, but haven't see it or tried it.
  • LFlo79
    LFlo79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of stretch marks on my lower abdomen from being a big kid. I remember getting them when i was around 11 or 12...no joke. Now they're old and a little bit lighter/shinier than my skin. They'll be there forever...unless someone here knows of something that'll make them go away permanently??:blushing: If not, oh well. I don't remember ever seeing my stomach without them and my boyfriend doesn't care if they're there.

But, you don't get stretch marks from losing weight. They are the result of the rapid stretching of the skin associated with rapid growth (common in puberty) or weight gain (e.g. pregnancy, muscle building, or rapid gain of fat) or, in some cases, severe pulling force on skin that overcomes the dermis's elasticity. Now that you are losing weight, they may look more prominent because your skin is loosening and they may look a little wrinkled.

Don't trip about it. C'est la vie. Even skinny girls have them....mainly on their butts tho.:wink:
  • I found that the new Vasaline spray&go coco butter dry oil is amazing for stretch marks! I've been using it for about 3days and already my stretch marks have turned paler and they are flatter than they originally were:)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Elastin 3. I was pretty much covered in them after I had my son, but after I used the whole bottle, (about 3 months) they are as invisible as they're ever gonna get. Check my pics, you can't even see them anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/Elastin3-Advanced-Stretch-Robelyn-Labs/dp/B0036MQQ5C
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks only come from...well... stretching. Now that you are losing weight, they are only more apparent. Sounds like some folks here have some great ideas for minimizing their appearance.

Congrats on your weight loss! :drinker:
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    You can't get stretch marks from losing weight, only by gaining weight, and they might get more noticeable after losing weight. It all depends on your skin type to be honest. I've always had stretch marks and I have some even in places in which I've never been very fat. When I was a little girl my mum tried some creams on my fresh marks, but nothing worked. If they get old and white there's not much to do about it except maybe surgery. Unfortunately it's impossible to really get rid of them, but they can look incredibly better if your body is toned all over.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
    There was a post a while back from someone who had good results with a derma roller.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/801386-stretch-marks-actually-getting-better?hl=derma+roller
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You can't get stretch marks from losing weight, only by gaining weight, and they might get more noticeable after losing weight. It all depends on your skin type to be honest. I've always had stretch marks and I have some even in places in which I've never been very fat. When I was a little girl my mum tried some creams on my fresh marks, but nothing worked. If they get old and white there's not much to do about it except maybe surgery. Unfortunately it's impossible to really get rid of them, but they can look incredibly better if your body is toned all over.

No. You can get stretch marks from losing weight. You can get them from gaining muscle. You can get them from maintaining but losing collagen in your skin or having issues with cortisol. You can get them from getting taller without necessarily gaining weight (more relevant when younger). Etc. etc.

Stretch marks can come from a variety of these factors, or just one.

OP, try the various lotions and creams cited. If you're losing slowly, and you don't have a history of stretchmarks, it could be from just general aging, increased cortisol (which can happen from eating at a deficit or exercising intensely and often), etc.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Just love them.. they aren't going anywhere! You may reduce the look of them with some creams, but most are not that effective.... sorry!
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    No. You can get stretch marks from losing weight. You can get them from gaining muscle. You can get them from maintaining but losing collagen in your skin or having issues with cortisol. You can get them from getting taller without necessarily gaining weight (more relevant when younger). Etc. etc.

Stretch marks can come from a variety of these factors, or just one.

Gaining muscle works just like gaining fat, you're still increasing the volume underneath the same amount of skin. Components within skin cells break when you pull them, not when you shrink them... you get them in the process of gaining, you don't get them by losing weight if you didn't have them before, as someone has already said in previous posts.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options