Share a recipe for me to use my squash and/or zucchini?

Options
Please?!

I'm on a pretty tight budget, and this week I got chicken breasts and 2 whole chickens, bell peppers, onions, and yellow squash and zucchini for really good prices (also apples, but those don't apply at the moment).

Anybody have a recipe using those ingredients? I prefer it [obviously] to be fairly healthy.

Thanks in advance!!

*those aren't the ONLY ingredients I have, btw-I have canned tomatoes, frozen broccoli, peas, etc. canned beans of just about all varieties from lima to garbanzo, to kidney (and everything in between). I just got a deal on these fresh items, so they're the fresh things I have to work with this week. :)

Replies

• j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    yellow squash and zucchini sliced in 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch circles is yummy sauteed in a bit of olive oil and lightly seasoned with your favorites... i like mrs. dash's citrus blend. you could also throw in a touch of lemon juice.

mmmm....

peppers, onions, and chicken sounds like the beginnings of a fajita....
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    you could do a stir fry with all the veggies and chicken, or i like to do grilled zucchini as a side.. drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle some sea salt
  • mmp0001
    mmp0001 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    add the above ingredients (minus apples) + tomato sauce to it, cumin and garlic, a can of corn if you have it and you have pollo con calabacitas
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I saute zucchini, squash and onion in olive oil and season with salt and pepper fairly regularly. There's a Hungry Girl recipe I've been wanting to try that has a lot of those ingredients as well.

Winner Winner Onion Chicken Dinner

1 boneless skinless chicken breast pounded to 1/2 in thickness
    1 tsp dry onion soup mix, divided
    1/2 Tbs light whipped butter
    3/4 cup sliced onion
    1/2 sliced mushrooms
    1 small yellow squash, sliced

Preheat the oven to 375 and season chicking with 1/2 tsp onion soup mix. Microwave butter until melted in a medium bowl. Add the veggies and remaining soup mix and toss to coat. Make a foil packet with the chicken on top of the veggies and bake about 25 minutes. Serves 1

Another easy recipe I like is:

Chicken and Green Peppers

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    2 green peppers
    1/3 low-sodium soy sauce

Preheat the oven to 350. Chop the peppers. Place the chicken in a pan and top with the peppers. Pour the soy sauce over the whole thing. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Serves 4

I usually cut the recipe in half and have it for 2 meals. It's really good the second time around. I serve it over brown rice. Hope this has helped.
  • doinit4tayzie
    Options
    Dont count out the apples! You could make a stuffing to go with one of those chickens!! Apple nd squash with some bread a little seaseasoning...chcken broth.
  • sallykath60
    Options
    i cook yellow squash, zucchini:bigsmile: , onions and carrots together with salt and pepper and a little garlic. simmer until tender.when ready spray with spray on butter, this is the only way my husband will eat boiled squash. hope you like it.:bigsmile: