Am I doing something wrong?

Options
I've lost 27 lbs, it seems like a lot because I'm only 5'2" and I weigh 139 now.. but it's taken me 9 months. I have only lost 3 lbs in a month and a half and Idk what I'm doing wrong
I work out 6 times a week, and burn between 500-800 calories a day depending on the day and I don't really eat bad at all. I eat between 1200-1500 calories a day so theoretically, with a sedentary BMR of 1,350 calories a day, plus burning on average 600 calories a day that leaves with a deficit that I should technically be losing 2 lbs a week... but I'm not. HELP?

Replies

• PatientBearTiger
    Options
    You are too little to be losing two pounds a week in a healthy manner. The closer you get to your goal, the slower you will lose weight and the harder you'll have to work to do it. So, you aren't doing anything wrong. You are working hard and losing weight the way you should. Relax. You'll get there.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories.
  • blakeman187
    Options
    You are too little to be losing two pounds a week in a healthy manner. The closer you get to your goal, the slower you will lose weight and the harder you'll have to work to do it. So, you aren't doing anything wrong. You are working hard and losing weight the way you should. Relax. You'll get there.

^^^This^^^
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

^^ Winner IMO.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

I agree with post posters, it will take longer and you are not eating enough for a fast loss.
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    Alright, so this is normal to only be losing like .5 lbs a week when I only have like 10 lbs left to lose? thank you guys so much.
    I was thinking about eating my exercise calories back because maybe my metabolism had slowed.. but I'm scared to.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options

If you start eating back you exercise calories you will start losing more weight. Try it!
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    A half pound a week is losing weight.
    you could try one thing; cut out the breads, bagels, potatoes, white rice and white pastas. Believe it not whole milk will help burn fat while skim or non-fat milk will actually block the fat burning process.

This suggestion comes from my trainer/ nutritionist
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    thanks!! I usually eat only whole wheat/whole grain when it comes to breads and pastas, and don't eat as many carbs I try to fill my meals with protein most of the time
    I'm going to try the whole milk thing... well maybe 2% I haven't drank whole milk in like 10 years
  • alyssalanet
    Options
    I know this is going to sounds weird. BUT, if you are working out 6 days a week...you probably aren't eating enough. Your body goes into starvation mode if you aren't eating enough to help rebuild the muscle you are breaking down when you work out, so in return it stores fat. 3-4 pounds a month means about a pound a week...that is healthy.

It is such an unrealistic thing when people say you should be losing more than that a week. Your body does not want to lose fat at that rate, especially when you don't have an excess of fat to lose.

Listen to your body, and be aware of what it is trying to tell you!
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    I always get enough protein after I workout to make sure I replenish my muscles. But I am still overweight for my height and still have weight to lose. It's just this process is going very slowly
  • MARI1010
    MARI1010 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jem728
    jem728 Posts: 88
    Options
    Bump for later. Lots of good info here.
  • alyssalanet
    Options
    I always get enough protein after I workout to make sure I replenish my muscles. But I am still overweight for my height and still have weight to lose. It's just this process is going very slowly

That's awesome that you're eating your protein but you still may be low in your calories. Sounds like you've hit a plateau and you'll get there, but keep trucking along!
  • PatientBearTiger
    Options

As it should. "Shortcuts" don't work. Period. To lose weight in a healthy manner and KEEP it off, you need to go slow, change your habits and change your lifestyle.
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    Will I really not be able to gain muscle if I don't start eating more?
    I'm kind of scared to start eating more until I reach my goal
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    thank you guys! Amazing advice :)
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    It's normal! I've lost 39lbs since February, so just be patient :)