Running.....any tips for novices?

Options
:cry: Hi Everyone.

I'm new to MFP and congratulations to you all everyone seems to have so much success.

It's great to be able to share such an important life changing event with other like minded people. I'm starting a running programme to get fit and lose weight, but am finding it SO difficult. I cannot even keep up the 90 second jog as recommended before becoming breathless and tired. Anybody ever being in the 'same boat' and are now in a position to offer some encouragement????? F

Replies

• mmellor
    mmellor Posts: 146
    Options
    I was exactly where you are...I was not a runner, but I started a running program that took it in baby steps and within 18 months I completed 2 1/2 marathons (21kms)! The program I did was with the Running Room - run 1 minute, walk 1 minute for 12 - 20 minutes and with each new week we added 1 minute to the running portion eventually getting to 10 mins run 1 minute walk. This gradual increase allowed me to build my cardio without being overwhelmed. You can do this, just take it one day at a time and remember slow and steady wins the race....Good Luck!!!
  • jillwaller
    Options
    I was definitely in that boat and now I love running! The tips I've used are:

1. Music is everything. Have a great playlist to keep you moving.
    2. Be proud of the small accomplishments- running for a minute straight is nothing to laugh at; just build on minute per minute.
    3. If you need a break, don't discount walking. It's still a cardio exercise and it's keeping you moving.
    4. Don't try to push yourself. Your body will know its limits, and don't try to rush progress. Progress will come on its own.
    5. If your focus is speed, run fast. If it's endurance or distance, pace yourself. Maybe if you slow down you'll be able to run longer.
    6. Find a way to look forward to running! Maybe take a relaxing bath afterwards, or use it to get a chance to catch up on an audiobook.

I promise that you will get results, as long as you keep motivated! Every step matters, and I'm sure that with the effort you'll put into this you will notice a difference in no time. As soon as you experience your first "runner's high", you'll constantly feel motivated to run and the most difficult part of the journey is over! Feel free to message me or add me if you need someone to vent or talk to about it. :)
  • Bunnyboo82
    Bunnyboo82 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Welcome! We are glad you are here and ready to run! Just like any exercise , it's best to start out slow. Walk for about 5 min and then stop and streach. Then start your run. A good way to build up endurance and lung capacity is to do interval training. It's almost like setting mini goals for yourself. Start out for 20-30 min dedicated to running. Walk 5 run 5 walk 5 run five. It's a great place to start. When I want to increase my milage or my speed , I use this technique to train my body gradually . After a week or two of the intervals try running for a few miles straight. You'll feel great and not so winded. You can do this! Just take your time to work up to your desired time or milage and you'll be running for miles in no time!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    2. Be proud of the small accomplishments- running for a minute straight is nothing to laugh at; just build on minute per minute.
    3. If you need a break, don't discount walking. It's still a cardio exercise and it's keeping you moving.
    4. Don't try to push yourself. Your body will know its limits, and don't try to rush progress. Progress will come on its own.

I don't disagree with anything jillwaller said, but I especially agree with those 3 points. Write 'em on your mirror. Post 'em on your 'fridge. Just don't forget them.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Get great running shoes.

Prepare to be compared to Forrest Gump, the most famous athlete in the USA.
  • nicki9139
    nicki9139 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just started running again last week after 5 years of not training. I'm using an app on my iPhone called C25K (couch to 5K). It starts out run 60 sec. walk 90 sec. the first week then increases weekly. Another tool that is helpful is using a Heart Rate Monitor! When i trained before it was super helpful to keep me at MY pace by watching my heart rate. It really made me enjoy running and made me feel like I could really do it!
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You might also search the forums for c25k. It stands for Couch-to-5K. It is a program that helps people (like me) who don't run at all or very little over 9 weeks get up to 5k. It is three sessions a week starting with walk for 90 seconds then run/jog/whatever you can for 60 seconds. Then each week the walks become a little shorter and the runs become a little longer. It is very gradual. It doesn't just expect you to be able to jog or run from the beginning. There are also apps for the phone to tell you when to run/walk, etc. Or you can just downoad various podcasts that have music, etc and the chimes built in to let you know when to switch.
    I just started this week and it is nice. You just do whatever pace your body can handle and improve at your own pace. Every time I tried in the past to jog or run I tried to do to much in the beginning and always gave up. Hopefully you can find something that works for you from the various replies. Good luck!!

Troy
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I started running about 12 or 15 years ago. I couldn't run to the mailbox. Ok, maybe to the mailbox but not much further. LOL Do what you can do, run for a 1/10th of a mile or whatever, walk some, do another 1/10th of a mile, whatever you can do... but with each time you run, add a little distance. Just keep pushing yourself to get better and better and you will. Try to learn how to breathe too. That is actually important. hehe But seriously, you have to find a rhythm that works. Blow the air out as you run. And try to do so in a rhythmic pattern. This will help you become comfortable with running for longer distances. If it's cold weather I try to blow the air out through my mouth and breathe in through my nose, if I can, so that it warms up the air going into the lungs. (I have a mild form of asthma which hasn't had to be treated in some time now... probably due to my running.) Also I would add watch your form. Keep your head and back almost straight but slightly forward; it should feel natural. Dont run bent over. I see a lot of people running like that. Don't. You are only restricting your lung capacity in doing so. Form is really important. It will help you run better and more easily. Lastly get a copy of Runner's World. Read it. It's not only inspiring and motivational but very informative. If you google their website and any given topic re running, you will find some very useful, pertinent information. Good luck!!
  • SeanHines3inNC
    Options
    I am with the others on the Couch to 5K (C25K) program. When I started I couldn't run a city block without thinking I was going to die. Eight weeks later I ran a 5K race and I didn't finish last!