Exercise suggestions for a beginner? How can I build myself

Options
Past 3 days I have done at least 30 minutes of exercising a day, I'm planning on sticking with it! However due to my lack of strength, lack of money, lack of flexibility, lack of balance, lack of everything.. I'm quite restricted. I'm really bored of step ups now. I did do rope skipping but I ended up straining my calf & couldn't walk properly for about a week, so it scared me away from it >.< I try & walk as much as I can however I suffer from anxiety so I hardly go out, plus there's nowhere nice in my town go & the weather is never promising.

Replies

• Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    The biggest loser videos look good I'm doing the 30 day shred which has diff levels for beginners or more advanced I like it but they r cheap u could youtube stuff too. Zumba is a lot of fun too... just some ideas =)
  • wilkin_rebecca
    wilkin_rebecca Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where you live, but i had advice from a fellow mfp friend who suggested a Leslie Sansone Walk away the pounds dvd, it was only 4.99 at Zellers. I like it, its not only walking on the spot she gets arms in there for a workout also and you move your legs other ways too. the 20 min. one i bought is over so quickly you are left going thats it. Hope this helps
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    If you do nothing else, at minimum you have to get out and walk....walk....walk....and the faster the pace the better.
  • kat65
    kat65 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    walking outside (or in a mall), belly dancing (this rocks) or Leslie Sansone dvd's. All of these are great for starting out.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: if you have TV or movies you can walk and/or dance while watching or listening. As your strength and endurance increase you can go a little longer each time. Add a bit of time or more arm movements each day and you'll gradually get better workouts at home not matter the weather and at not expense (except for electricity and wear and tear on your floor and shoes.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Do the basics and if you don't know these terms, google them or look them up on youtube:

- crunches
    - sit ups
    - mountain climbers
    - push ups (even girly ones count, they still benefit you! you can work your way up to regular push ups)
    - leg lifts
    - pelvic lifts
    - bicep curls
    - hammer curls
    - military presses
    - shoulder raises
    - squats
    - lunges
    - donkey kicks
  • rebeccamareejones
    Options
    I have also experienced anxiety issues, particularly relating to my health. Exercise scared me for a while. What I did was start off just like you have by walking most days. I have now moved onto intervals where I do walking then amp up the pace to a jog... then go back to walking. I started off with 1 minute jogging, 2 minutes walking and the difference almost straight away in my fitness levels was amazing!

When I get a bit frightened I just tell myself that even if I just get myself walking and dont do any more than that then at least I have got moving for the day. I just see how I feel. Once I am doing it I am always more than fine and have always gone faster than planned. I highly recommend intervals, particularly with anxiety issues. Remember you can always stop if you're scared.

Hope this helps!
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i do dance videos that i buy as well as on netflix. some of my favorites are by jennifer galardi and most crunch videos. they range from 10 min workouts to 55 min depending on how much you want. You can also do some of one and some of another depending on how your feeling. do an internet search for them. They are fun and you can swithch them up when the mood suits you. I started these when I was 290 lbs and now I am 231 and they still help me lose weight and burn calories. So in my opinion they can be a one size fits all if you like this sort of work out :) good luck!
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    Do the basics and if you don't know these terms, google them or look them up on youtube:

- crunches
    - sit ups
    - mountain climbers
    - push ups (even girly ones count, they still benefit you! you can work your way up to regular push ups)
    - leg lifts
    - pelvic lifts
    - bicep curls
    - hammer curls
    - military presses
    - shoulder raises
    - squats
    - lunges
    - donkey kicks

Those are the sort of stuff I think I could never do >.< I am so weak, it's embarrassing! My arms are useless >.<
  • rebeccamareejones
    Options
    Oh and one more thing... If you are at all worried, get checked over by a doctor if you can to get the all clear for exercise :) !
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    I have also experienced anxiety issues, particularly relating to my health. Exercise scared me for a while. What I did was start off just like you have by walking most days. I have now moved onto intervals where I do walking then amp up the pace to a jog... then go back to walking. I started off with 1 minute jogging, 2 minutes walking and the difference almost straight away in my fitness levels was amazing!

When I get a bit frightened I just tell myself that even if I just get myself walking and dont do any more than that then at least I have got moving for the day. I just see how I feel. Once I am doing it I am always more than fine and have always gone faster than planned. I highly recommend intervals, particularly with anxiety issues. Remember you can always stop if you're scared.

Hope this helps!

I've always associated exercise with hell. Too many flashbacks of PE in school >_<. I was the kid who everyone loved to through balls at & trip over :/.
    Intervals sounds good, thank you :). I'd love to more than anything to run. I have no stamina though, & have slight dyspraxia so my legs are all over the place ahaha.
  • rebeccamareejones
    Options
    Sounds good!

Lol I was never a huge fan of PE at school either, I felt dumb in front of the others. I caught sight of myself jogging the other day and I thought "wow I look stupid!" but then I told myself I will never look unstupid if I don't persevere :) No stamina is all good, I didn't have much either. The first time you run it can feel a little disheartening.. I thought omg i am so incredibly unfit but your body will most likely shock you as to how quickly it can adapt. You could even start 30 secs jogging 5 minutes walking to start off with. That's the beauty of intervals, you make it how you want it :) You could even start with brisk walk to slower walk intervals. They are so adaptable.

If you have a smartphone there are some great apps. One I am about to try today that was recommended by a friend called "RunKeeper". It tells you when to speed up, slow down. You can choose options where it tells you how fast your going, your average pace etc. This app is both on iphone and android.

The one I have been using until now is a very very simple one called " My Interval Timer Pro". it is very basic. I have this one on android and it has been fairly good to me. It does some times forget to tell you when to speed up or slow down when the screen is off though.

Those people in your PE class at school sound horrible by the way! Don't let them horrible people impact your life anymore :)
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

- crunches
    - sit ups
    - mountain climbers
    - leg lifts
    - pelvic lifts
    - bicep curls
    - hammer curls
    - military presses
    - shoulder raises
    - squats
    - lunges
    - donkey kicks

Those are the sort of stuff I think I could never do >.< I am so weak, it's embarrassing! My arms are useless >.<

Don't worry about how many you can do. If it's only 2- or even just a half of one, do that. The goal is to start moving. Anything you do is a step in the right direction. Watch tv standing up. Lift your arms up as high as you can and put them down - repeat a few time. Do it holding soup cans, if you can. Sit down and move your feet up and down. Sit down and stand up 5 times. We all start somewhere. The fact that you want to start exercising is a terrific step forward. You can do this. Don't make it psychologically harder than it has to be. Instead of focusing on what you can't do, think about what you can. And, you CAN do this!!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like motivation.