Not new but looking for MORE SUPPORT!!

Options
My name is Marisol and I am a 36yr old single mom of a 16yr boy and a 12yr girl...I started my quest on MFP at the beginning of this year and I am happy to say MFP has REALLY worked wonders for me BUT it really is the PEOPLE and SUPPORT on MFP that helps the most. I am just hear to say HELLO to all the NEW NEW people and say HELLO to those who have been on MFP for a long time now also!! I always welcome new support!! A recent bump in my quest is a knee injury that has limited my cardio (jogging is a no, elliptical is a no, plyo is a no, aerobics is a no) and I do not know when I will be able to do hardcore cardio again like I use to. If any of you out there have knee injuries and have suggestions onto how to get a sweat dripping heart racing workout PLEASE let me know!! Happy logging MFP friends and strangers!! =)

Replies

• jlmoore05
    Options
    I am new to this...I am looking for support too!
  • poppyspice
    Options
    I'm much older than you (48) and have dealt with knee injuries since 15. I encourage you to give your injury time to heal. Contrary to the opinion of some, pain is not a sign of weakness, it usually means something is wrong! Basically everything you listed is not advisable in my case, I do find that I can modify an exercise routine to reduce the things that cause me the most problems. I avoid anything that requires running, jumping, balancing on one leg, twisting, rapid position changes (like step class) or long sessions doing the same thing (treadmill). What I can do: treadmill with no incline for short time periods, some biking, walking (my stride is short, trouble happens with long strides), some exercise routines (heavy on the floor work) and swimming. I can participate in some classes but I modify my moves if a particular move is not good, I may walk in place, do low kicks or knee raises instead of things like jumping jacks. I try to find some small ways to add some calorie burning without risking injury; yard work and mowing the lawn. The key is to watch balance and not overuse the knee to a point where you risk a fall or further injury. I am not a professional athlete so I don't earn my living pushing my body to the limit. I have to be able to work, maintain a home and live with these knees and my friend, athritis. It's really ok with me that I can't do all the moves in the latest burn, shred and get ripped video, my goal is to be able to perform normal daily activities, remain pain-free and have a reasonable degree of fitness given my limitations.Talk with your orthopedic or sports med doc about what is advisable for you with your injury. I wish you a speedy recovery!
  • lizcren
    lizcren Posts: 12
    Options
    Support is what we all need to get through and get where we need to be!