IUD removed ravished, and dropping weight???

Options
So I had the mirena , removed it about 2 weeks ago, dropped 5lbs in 4 days.... HUGE increase in appetite..... but am still dropping weight... could the mirena have been stalling my weighloss... ANYONE HAD THE SAME SITUATION???

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    maybe you're pregnant.
  • aggiesems
    Options
    my mom had the same IUD, it was causing her to hold onto a huge amount of weight.
  • koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Oh and Not Pregnant... :-)
  • SMILE713
    SMILE713 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    HI I HAD THAT FOR 4 MONTHS AND MY BODY REJECTED IT. I HAD GAINED 20 LBS AND ITS BEEN REALLY HARD TO LOOSE IT. I DID GAIN ALOT OF WEIGHT WITH THAT.
  • ktieman
    ktieman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor about this 3 years ago, because I was putting on weight; she said it was impossible. Yet I agree with my weight has increased with it.
  • ktieman
    ktieman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting, I thought I was crazy.
  • thefishers4
    thefishers4 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have the mirena in and am thinking of getting it out due to not needing it anymore as husband got fixed. Hopefully this will get me out of the funk. I have realized too that I am moody so I wondering if it side effects. I am going to talk to my doctor to get this out soon.
  • jennysmission
    jennysmission Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I had a aweful time with the MIrena also, couldnt lose weight cramps for 3-4 weeks out of the month and very weird periods.

I think its possible everyone is diff!! The DRS on the other hand will probley tell you NO!
  • thefishers4
    thefishers4 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Also all my weight gain started when I got this put in and all my body symptoms too. Going to get this taken out next week.
  • SheaHF
    SheaHF Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had the SAME thing happen to me! I had Mirena for a year, right after my pregnancy, and did NOT loose ANY weight post-pregnancy FOR A YEAR!!!! I was so frustrating and I couldn't figure out why. Anyway, I just so happened to go in and get the Mirena removed (seriously not even considering that it was causing my weight retainment) and BAM!--weight just dropped off. In about 2 weeks I lost about 10 pounds! It was crazy!!!! I tried to look up other chats online when this happened to me, and it seems to be not-so-uncommon. The hormones in the birth control just affect people's bodies and weights differently. Needless to say, I don't plan on jumping on Mirena again after my next baby. lol. And unfortunately, the weight dropping effects wore off, and now it's up to me to lose the rest, lol!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    im wondering if that will happen when i get mine out next june...
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I am on my second mirena, and I love it. It didn't cause my weight gain, and I've never had any problems with it.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has stalled for 2 months. I went off the pill this month and have dropped 3lbs in 2 1/2 weeks. Those hormones dont help us.
  • Guerita83
    Options
    I am on my second mirena, and I love it. It didn't cause my weight gain, and I've never had any problems with it.

Same here :)!! Love the mirena!! 2nd round.. No side effects, weight has been put on only due to my no excercise and bad eating habits, but I have been changing my life to a healthier one and seem to be loosing weight regardless :)
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Doctors swear up and down that there is absolutely no correlation between birth control and weight but anecdotally there seems to be a lot of disagreement. From me, too. I plateaued for a really long time but now that I've stopped taking the pill it's coming off again.

I mean, it makes sense. BC stops you from cycling, which means there's one less thing for energy (calories) to be expended on . It doesn't make a huge difference but it only makes sense your BMR would be higher without it than with it
  • koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    So glad it's not just me..... This is actually my 3rd Mirena. I have been happy with all of them, until ths one. My periods were long and WACKO... and it actually fell out. I have struggled to lose baby weight with my past 3 kids. But just attributed it to not enough determination. Well my mirena feel out ona sunday and by Thursday I was down 5 pounds... I NEVER gained weight on it.. But losing was HARDER then normal.. I figure I will give it a few weeks, and see where I end up... SO GLAD I AM NOT THE ONY ONE!!! I thought I was going NUTS!!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Doctors swear up and down that there is absolutely no correlation between birth control and weight but anecdotally there seems to be a lot of disagreement. From me, too. I plateaued for a really long time but now that I've stopped taking the pill it's coming off again.

I mean, it makes sense. BC stops you from cycling, which means there's one less thing for energy (calories) to be expended on . It doesn't make a huge difference but it only makes sense your BMR would be higher without it than with it
    Ive been thinking about coming off for a few months myself to see if it helps. But the cramps and acne...blah!
  • miss_sarcastic
    Options
    I was reading through these replies and felt the need to vent lol.

I started my first period when I was 9yrs old (scary lol).

When I was 12, I had a bout of 3 months of near straight bleeding. Doc put me on orthotricyclin...weird to be on "the pill" at 12, but it fixed the problem. It also made me gain over 45 pounds in 3-4 MONTHS. My doctor swore it wasn't because of the pill...

uh, beg to differ. I was just as active (if not more due to being in a basketball league), and it's like the activity didn't even matter.

Ever since then, I've sworn to never take any birth control that affects hormones. I'm still fighting off that weight! (and it's working!)

Anyway, vent over... lol
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I got Mirena put in a month after my daughter was born (so 6 months ago) and I've lost 63lb since.
    Everyone is different and it effects everyone differently. I do have the cramps for 3 weeks out of the month and strange periods that are very very light one month to heavy the next. So... I don't know, hah.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I too started young. On pill by age twelve because I was irregular. Migraine city! For years I had the pills, the patch, the Nuba ring, the shot, everything made me have horrible migraines, still very irregular, and depending on the BC wt gain too. Got Mirena last Dec Have not had a period since and no cramping, wt not dropping and increasing, BUT I'm in school and I'm not as active as I should be. I also have hypothyroidism so. . . I have to say my Mirena was the best thing I ever did. Not having a kid first, and no pain meds for placement is something I hated but. .