food addiction. need help.

Options
so i did wonderful today on calorie/fat intake but i think my brain is confused & im craving literally anything. im having withdrawals from food. any advice/encouragement?

Replies

• twerps4jesusjo
    twerps4jesusjo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Do something to distract yourself. For me, worship is the best way to fill up without food. :)
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    Sleep. And not in the refrigerator.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    This is just something I read somewhere. If your trying to cut calories and live a healthier lifestyle, don't cut down to your target calorie zone right away. If you think you may have a food addiction, you may have to cut from what you are used to, to what you should be taking in very slowly. Like 100 calories a week less for a month or however long it takes to get where you need to be to lose weight.

I know people say it doesn't matter when you consume your calories, but in this instance you may want to time your food one of two ways. Every two hours eat 200 calories (1200 in total) or scrimp during the day and eat well in the evening if that is when your body craves.

Just don't give up. Your brain just has to get used to this. :D
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    Sorry, that wasn't really helpful. But I do suggest sleeping. If you have to stay up, then drink water to curb cravings.
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    it always take the body a little while to get used to the amount of food you're eating. if you're very, very hungry, i would suggest to eat something that may fill you up a bit, and drink a lot of water. for me, some low-fat milk, peanut butter, cheese, chicken - anything that has some protein and fat tends to be more filling. also, drink a lot of water. sometimes, when we're hungry, we're actually just thirsty (weird right?).

vegetables are another great choice for low-cal, filling foods. red peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots are all great choices.

don't push yourself too hard! better to go slow and steady at first than let your body go into shock. you can do it!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    sleep is the best way I avoid eating :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,096 Member
    Options
    The majority of this is mental. Just know that you don't NEED more food than is allowed if you are doing this in a healthy way.

It's all about finding things to tell yourself at those moments to stop you from eating.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    brush your teeth
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've so been there! Tommorow is always better,usually ;) Somedays are just harder/hungerier than others......Just keep it up! also i tell myself if i still crave it the next day i can have it then, if its true hunger and i have the cals i go ahead and have it sometime. i dont won't to repeat my bad eating behaviors that i'm trying to break but if i deny myself too much i feel deprived and i quit even trying..........So balance is what i'm working hard at. Food is my drug of choice and moderation has not come easy but i'm getting better at it and you can too! Good luck!

3697427.png
    If it's important to you, you'll find a way. If it's not, you'll find an excuse!
  • leese559
    leese559 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    push thru girl push thru!!! surf the web watch TV shows that will motivate you!
  • ElyzahMoore
    ElyzahMoore Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like to keep about projects that keep my hands busy. I knit, do needlework, draw, whatever . . . but I find as long as I am busy I don't tend to snack as much.
  • Partyofpugs
    Options
    Weight Watcher's trick: Eat a can of green beans. If you're really hungry you will eat them and they won't add to many calories. If you don't want them then you are really not hungry. Good luck. I sew, walk, brush the dog, etc. Anything to avoid eating and keep my hands busy. Take a warm bath and go to bed. Sleep helps.
  • Sharias
    Sharias Posts: 11
    Options
    I haven't taken my favorite foods out of my eating habits I just fit them in. I love Pinky bars so I have mini ones in the fridge and have one or two a night. When I take things out completely I tend to crave them. If I over eat I try to exercise to make up any short fall.

Since I have taken ownership of my eating I seem to be winning. Remember we didn't get this way over night and it's going to take time.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If you have calories left --- eat something :) This isn't supposed to be torture...

I am a huge night eater and I often save calories specifically so I can eat them in bed watching tv late at night.
    The tirick is to MEASURE, and try to make healthy choices. Eating a lot of carbs late at night causes me problems so I try to stick to protein -- like greek yogurt with some flax seed/walnuts/agave, string cheese (if i'm not over on sodium) or a protein shake.

If yo're not hungry at all and you have no calories to spare -- drinking something hot usually helps me because it feels like food. I drink a lot of decaf coffee at night.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Weight Watcher's trick: Eat a can of green beans. If you're really hungry you will eat them and they won't add to many calories. If you don't want them then you are really not hungry. Good luck.

While this is all good in theory...have you ever checked the SODIUM in a can of green beans! Yikers! I say opt for no salt or frozen with a spritz of no cal butter spray! But I really like this idea! I may start doing this!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    PS the reason you're probably hungry is because you had an extreme amount of carbs -- and very little protein.
    Protein is what makes you feel full ---

If you're trying to use the default MFP settings --- they are generally set way too low for protein.
    You might consider trying to drop some of those bad carbs (processed, white flour etc) and up your protein.
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you're just craving the feeling of having something in your mouth. I'd give mints, sugar free hard candies (which can be quite delicious) or gum a shot.

If you need any additional support feel free to friend request me. I know it isn't an easy transition and I'm struggling a little with it as well.

:) You're making the right choices though. Best of luck!
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    I am a researcher and research every thing. I really do believe that our processed foods, dairy, fruits and vegetables are loaded with all kinds of hormones, pesticides, etc. A lot of food has natural flavoring in it. Do you know that this makes your appetite soar.?

Also, when they say natural flavoring, they can put anything in it almost, like M.S.G...whateverr. So, I am only eating organic and nothing processed. Also trying to drink a lot of bottled water.

Look at our country and the obesity problem. I really don't think this many people want to look the way they look., and it may not even be their fault. Look at our country 50 years ago. Did people look like this or have this problem?
  • Ashleysh22
    Options
    Do you crave specific foods? Like salty or sugary? or just food in general?

If it is actual hunger, not just craving the ACT of eating - then you might need to reevaluate your calories. Of course it takes time for your body to adjust, but you shouldnt be starving all the time.

If you are craving salt or sugar specifically - try to go without it for 3 weeks - my nutrition professor in med school told us that your taste pallete will take roughly that long to adjust and thus decrease your cravings.

If you are craving the ACT of eating - like you just want to EAT cause you are bored or something - try picking up crafting. thats what i do - knit/crochet :)

Good luck!
  • cuatesmom
    cuatesmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    ok, i confess im a psychologist...so here is THAT perspective:

carry a journal--small light ones work best.
    when you want to eat: first write the answer to all these questions:

what emotion am I feeling?
    is that emotion making me feel hungry?
    instead of eating how ELSE could I take care of myself and my emotions?
    (think proactive assertive action to address the problem/situation)

of course if you are really hungry then DO blend the above ideas together:

first drink 8 to 16 oz of water before eating any meal or snack (yes thirst is often confused with hunger)

reduce carbs/sweets (they just make your sugar peak and drop and then make you hungry again quickly)
    replace those calories with protein and good carbs (veggies and fruit not processed food)

before you eat anything else first consider choosing a very filling salad with protien (think 2 cups of lettuce/baby greens, 1 cup of cucumber, 1 cup of cherry tomato, 1 sliced yellow bell pepper, maybe some carrots, maybe 1/2 c kidney beans or garbanzos,1 serving of your favorite dressing)--all this is very filling and only the dressing and beans have any really significant calories

add broiled chicken breast (make several at once and keep in the frig for easy availablity) or deli meat, or tuna or boiled and 2 sliced eggs....the protien will make you NOT hungry for a long time, especially if it has a little fat

for the sweet tooth try a big bowl of low calorie fruit: strawberries, blueberries, and apple or a baked sweet potato or
    (my new favorite treat) 1/2 cup of cottage cheese mixed with splenda, cinnamon and a chopped apple.

REMEMBER--even if you do go over a bit today, it was still probably much better than your usual choices...and as long as you keep working at it you ARE making progress...you ARE getting one step closer to your goal.

hope this helps.

I read this on someone's signature and love it for "imperfect" days: failure is temporary. giving up is permanent.