bed time hunger

Options
Why is it that no matter how much I eat during the day I am always hungry right as I am laying down in bed to go to sleep???

Replies

• bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! Meeeee tooooo!! What gives?!
  • Tantrisis
    Options
    for me it's usualy around 11:00 at night when I am about to turn off the television, my body wants to walk me to the pantry so I can stuff my face one I think that I can stop at one cracker, and then one becomes two and before I know it I have eaten 6. So when i feel that way I try to snack on hot air pop corn or fill up a big glass of water and drink away my hunger pains. Mind you then I am up 2 or 3 times during the night to go to the bathroom.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I like to go to bed on a full stomach. If this bothers you, eat less during the day and have a big dinner shortly before bed. (The idea that you'll gain more weight if you eat before bed than if you eat the same at some other time is a myth).
  • javablondie
    javablondie Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Why is it that no matter how much I eat during the day I am always hungry right as I am laying down in bed to go to sleep???

Based on your diary you are either not recording everything, or you go to bed every night with 700 to 1000 calories uneaten. You *are* starving.
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Today was a pretty bad day calorie wise, but in general I am eating plenty throughout the day :( I have the bladder of a 3 year old, so I hate drinking water late at night, so generally do some crunches and go to bed hungry. hmmm
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    well just looking at your diary for the last 3 days, you are definitely NOT eating enough! Remember, you cannot starve your way to fitness and health. You need to eat! I also enjoy wine and cocktails everynight BUT I also eat good clean food along with it.

Please, eat and don't be afraid! Food and fitness go together :)
  • ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What keeps hunger at bay for me is to have nuts as my last snack before bed, and to reduce the amount of carbs at dinner. Hope you find something that works for you!
  • donielle37
    Options
    I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. SO WHAT I TRY AND DO IS SAVE ONE OR TWO SNACKS FOR AROUND BEDTIME. I CAN GO ALL DAY AND NOT EAT. BUT WHEN IT COMES TO AROUND 9PM , ALL I WANT TO DO IS SNACK. I TRIED EATING BIGGER DINNER, BREAKFAST ETC. BUT IT DIDNT WORK FOR ME. THE ONLY THING I FIND THAT WORKS IS SAVE MY SNACKS FOR THE NIGHT. TRY THAT. I HOPE IT HELPS...
  • jeninabilan
    Options
    thanks guys!! I will try those suggestions :)
  • gsquared825
    Options
    You should be having 5-6 small meals a day, with a total calorie/carb count that accounts for the exercise (type and amount) you are doing for that day. It is necessary to have a few more carbs and calories on days where you are working out more or harder. Cold water is a good way to curb appetite. But eat something low in calories and fat as your last meal. The brain is doing lots of work while you're sleeping and you still need some energy! Going to bed hungry will cause you're sleep cycles to be thrown off and you need to get your rest so your body can function healthily so you can eat right and exercise the next day. Vegetables whose colors are part of the rainbow are the best way to go for a good snack. If you are craving something sweet, unflavored rice cakes and a low sugar low fat peanut butter (natural peanut butter by the deli in my store) is filling and good and drink a lot of water!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner within half an hour of going to sleep if I can, or a snack if I've had an earlier dinner. Unless I do that I wake up hungry. And so many people will tell you it's the wrong thing to do, but it's the only thing that works for me.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Weird, I'm always pretty full when I go to bed. You need to eat more or your metabolism will slow down and your weight loss will plateau.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You should restructure things so that you eat more of your calories at night. You can eat 1 or 10 meals (doesn't matter at all) during the day, it won't have any effect on your metabolism. That being said, you should choose a meal timing that makes you feel the best or perform the best in the gym.

In YOUR case, it sounds to me like this means you should eat a little less in the AM and eat a little more or a little later in the PM. Save up some calories for just before bedtime, and see how this makes you feel.
  • jeninabilan
    Options
    I know it looks like I don't eat enough because I always have 700 cals or so left, but if you look at my intake, I am averaging 1200 cals per day.. that seems like plenty to me. I'm not sure about the whole "eating your calories back" thing.. isn't that the whole point of working out?!?!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Me too... that's why I save calories and plan to eat something at that time.

I just know that too many carbs at bed don't help me sleep so I usually eat things like greek yogurt.

I refuse to punish myself and go to bed hungry -- i ENJOY my nighttime snack in bed.
    I just don't do it with a bag of donuts and gallon of milk anymore.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I know it looks like I don't eat enough because I always have 700 cals or so left, but if you look at my intake, I am averaging 1200 cals per day.. that seems like plenty to me. I'm not sure about the whole "eating your calories back" thing.. isn't that the whole point of working out?!?!

No it's not ---- your goal already has a deficit built in --- if you't not even eating 1200 you're just starving yourself and eventually you'll stop losing weight doing that. And obviously, since you're always hungry at night you need to be eating more.

For most people, 1200 is too low and the only reason they have that number is becasue they chose to lose 2lbs a week.

75lbs or more: Choose to lose 2lbs/week
    40-75 pounds: Choose to lose 1.5lbs/week
    25-40 pounds: Choose to lose 1lb/week
    15-20 pounds: Choose either 1/2lb or 1lb
    Less than 15/20 pounds: choose 1/2 lb/week