Getting more protein as a Vegetarian

Options
AH2013
AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
I'm having difficulty getting enough protein without the calories in a day. I usually have a protein smoothie for breakfast which I make with protein powder, banana, milk, peanut butter and cocoa but I'm finding that the milk gives me a lump in the back of my throat for the day which is getting on my nerves! I eat meat substitute and some cheese, nuts and high protein veg, but does anyone out there have a different way of getting their protein as a fellow veggie? I would appreciate some ideas :smile:

Replies

• monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    i go back and forth. Beans are great in protein. Flat out wraps are high in protein!
    Quinoa is good on protein.
    Tofu is always great. Do you eat egg whites? Greek yogurt has a ton of protein!
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas!

Cheese, Beans, Milk *i know you are not in love with milk :), nuts..

Lentils are super high too!

*full disclosure - I am an omnivore
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Why not try almond milk or another vegan milk instead of cows milk if it's bothering you? I make my smoothies with almond milk and they are delicious.
  • Jezza777
    Jezza777 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas...Hummus/Falafel is the business! :)
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I use protein whey powder as a meal supplement but use water to mix it rather than milk
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Beans, SmartDogs, Whey protein powder (the body builder type) and if you do dairy non-fat Greek yogurt is packed with protein and very few calories.
  • vegangirl88
    vegangirl88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    First, I think you may have a milk intolerance if you are getting problems in your throat from milk. (I myself am allergic to it.) Maybe get checked out with your doc. There are so many milk alternatives out there if it only bothers you when drinking it straight (i.e. you experience no problems with cheese or products with milk in) such as rice milk (YUM!) or nut milks.

Secondly, have a look at this site - http://www.theproteinmyth.com/ for general info and also specifically this page http://www.theproteinmyth.com/good-sources-of-protein/ for ideas of good protein : )

Hope that helps : )
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I get 20% or a touch over protein per day, and am vegetarian. My diary is open to friends, but I am also open to friends! Feel free to friend me if you think it will help.
  • AH2013
    Options
    Why not try almond milk or another vegan milk instead of cows milk if it's bothering you? I make my smoothies with almond milk and they are delicious.

I've never tried almond milk...I'm going to see if I can find that anywhere! Fab idea! I'm in the middle east and we're not as lucky with produce as the rest of civilisation.

Thanks everyone for your ideas, going to try some new recipes this weekend! :)
  • AH2013
    Options
    I get 20% or a touch over protein per day, and am vegetarian. My diary is open to friends, but I am also open to friends! Feel free to friend me if you think it will help.

I shall do that, thanks!! My protein is set for 40% as I work out quite hard, but I'll be lucky if I'm getting 20-30% a day. Be good to see what you're eating, I like some new ideas!
  • AH2013
    Options
    First, I think you may have a milk intolerance if you are getting problems in your throat from milk. (I myself am allergic to it.) Maybe get checked out with your doc. There are so many milk alternatives out there if it only bothers you when drinking it straight (i.e. you experience no problems with cheese or products with milk in) such as rice milk (YUM!) or nut milks.

Secondly, have a look at this site - http://www.theproteinmyth.com/ for general info and also specifically this page http://www.theproteinmyth.com/good-sources-of-protein/ for ideas of good protein : )

Hope that helps : )

I may have a milk intolerance actually, never been all that keen. I'm sold on the different milks, going to see if I can find some here. Thank you!!!!
  • alaw1119
    alaw1119 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had seitan? It's a meat substitute that has like 20g of protein for 2 oz. It's takes on whatever flavor you marinate it in or you can buy it already marinated at whole foods or trader joes. It has a very "meaty" texture so at first it was weird but delicious! I had it in fajitas at a restraunant and then bought some at whole foods and marinated it in BBQ sauce and added it to my salad and then made quedillas with the left overs! So glad I found this as I'm trying to build muscle and was struggling to get enough protein without eating a ton of carbs!
  • AH2013
    Options
    Have you ever had seitan? It's a meat substitute that has like 20g of protein for 2 oz. It's takes on whatever flavor you marinate it in or you can buy it already marinated at whole foods or trader joes. It has a very "meaty" texture so at first it was weird but delicious! I had it in fajitas at a restraunant and then bought some at whole foods and marinated it in BBQ sauce and added it to my salad and then made quedillas with the left overs! So glad I found this as I'm trying to build muscle and was struggling to get enough protein without eating a ton of carbs!

How cool, I've never heard of it, but will try to find it. I use Quorn products, but supermarkets here run out of things like that so quickly and takes them months to restock! I'm loving the new ideas I'm getting though, thanks!! :)