Bad back and Zumba??

Options
I hurt my back on Saturday doing Zumba at home on the kinect (just twisted funny I think) and I have a Zumba class tomorrow night that I really don't want to miss as I only started last week, do you think it will be ok to go and just take it a little easier?

Replies

• auntied
    auntied Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    REST a day off won't hurt...and it could make it worse if you don't....
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Maybe go and see if your instructor has any suggestions for modifications? Hopefully it'll just feel better by then!
  • MissEllieF
    MissEllieF Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't attempt the Zumba class I go to with a sore back, we do far to many 'twisty' moves. I'd rest it, nothing worse than aggrivating something further, you could do more damage.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Depends on the intensity of the class....

If you do decide to go....REALLY, REALLY stretch before and after. The warm up and cool down aren't going to be enough...

Good luck =)
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Ouch! I think you may be using the wrong shoes. If you're wearing running/walking shoes to dance, these are not made to turn and twist and may hurt your back or knees.... don't know why it came to mind to say all this.

If you are able to move then you should be able to Zumba - as long as you pay attention to the hints your body is throwing you during your workout. Modify and have fun. =)
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I would take today off from any kind of exercise, and see how you feel tomorrow. You could have just tweeked your back. If you are feeling good tomorrow than go to the class but listen to your body if anything hurts STOP doing it.

There are tons of modifications that can be done in Zumba and even if you are just side stepping for a while you are still moving.
  • mummychaz
    mummychaz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback! I listened, I rested for 2 whole days & spoke to the instructor about which bits to avoid etc. & I managed a really good workout at class last night yay! Feeling the usual aches this morning but feel good and back is no worse :)

And I am also looking into dance shoes thank you Rikki444, never thought about that until you said!

x