Strength Training calories

Options
tnt008
tnt008 Posts: 1,370 Member
I really like this site, but I find it sucks that no calories come off your total for weight training. That makes it hard to keep track.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If you look under the cardio section you should be able to find something suitable.
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi - probably because weight training calories burned are different for everybody and it depends on a load of different factors. How much weight you lift, how many sets/reps you do & how fast... When I cannot find something or find it looks off, I ck the internet - you may be able to find an average of your weight lifting sets then save in mfp as your custom exercise so you can just pull it up later on. Trust me - you do burn calories (especially if you're getting your heart rate up), you just have to try and find out how many... hope that helps and good luck! Good for you for getting in that weight training too!!
  • DeviantDarkwolf2
    DeviantDarkwolf2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    It is listed in the database as Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It's in the cardio section under "strength training" :)
  • fightingforfiftyfive
    Options
    I still would not reliably trust the calories in either strength or cardio of MFP.. best to use a heart monitor, I just bought one and the difference in calories recorded in MFP and the actual on the heart monitor was really different.
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Check out "strength training" in Cardiovascular.
  • sbeasty1
    Options
    I agree with this. The calories lost on MFP differ greatly from those on the cardio equipment at the gym! Its hard to know which is accirate but I figure any exercise is good for you so go with it! Also, for lunges / squats, push ups etc the word Callisthenics is in the cardio section and will give you a general calorie count for these exercises.
  • tnt008
    Options
    Thanks people. I've searched the net and said someone my size for 60 minutes of weights burns about 400 calories. If I punch it in the cardio section for "strength training, its 220. thats quite a difference. I'm 5'10" 162 lbs with 60 minutes weights, short breaks. FYI, I'm trying to gain weight if theres some confusion.
  • tnt008
    Options
    Thanx, this could be helpful.