Brown rice issue

Options
Trying to cook brown rice, followed the instructions, 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water, but IT WON'T COOK! I keep having to add water (I used chicken stock originally). Because its flavored I have to do the absorption method.

It's been over an hour now, what in the world??? Haha! I'm hungry!!!!!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I got a super cheap rice cooker xD way faster!

odd tho o.O
  • JoelleMonique
    Options
    Brown rice does stay a lot firmer than white rice, are you sure it's not cooked?
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is super chewy and never seems done to me.

Is it chewy or crunchy?
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    An hour seems a long long time! Brown rice takes longer than white but usually takes me like 20 minutes?
    It's never as soft as white, I'd just eat it if I were you!
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Brown rice has a much firmer nuttier texture than white. I'd say it's cooked!
  • red_hatorade
    Options
    I had this issue, so I broke down and got the instant rice in the bags. I tried microwave, stove-top AND my rice cooker and the normal brown rice never turned out right.
  • kezpot1407
    Options
    I had a good tip that if you cook for approx 10-15mins [300g or rice to 600ml - this serves 4] then take it off the heat and leave covered to steam for another 10-15mins - remember not to remove the lid as this will release the steam.
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Did you switch the cooker on?
  • Ruby11222
    Ruby11222 Posts: 114
    Options
    It's been just over an hour and now it's chewy and edible so I gave up and am eating!!! Sheesh, the bag said 25-30 minutes with those measurements. It was no where near ready then!
  • Ruby11222
    Options
    Har har...
    Did you switch the cooker on?
  • 1prettysmile
    Options
    My brown rice comes out better from the oven. Check it out. Good luck!

COOK's ILLUSTRATED's FOOLPROOF OVEN-BAKED BROWN RICE
    Hands-on time: 10 minutes
    Time to table: 80 minutes
    Makes 4 cups

To minimize any loss of water through evaporation, cover the saucepan and use the water as soon as it reaches a boil. An 8-inch ceramic baking dish with a lid may be used instead of the baking dish and foil. To double the recipe, use a 13 by 9-inch baking dish; the baking time need not be increased.

1 1/2 cups long-, medium- or short-grain brown rice
    2 1/3 cups water
    2 teaspoons unsalted butter or vegetable oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Adjust the oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread rice in 8-inch square baking dish.
    2. Bring water and butter or oil to boil, covered, in medium saucepan over high heat; once boiling, immediately stir in salt and pour water over rice. Cover baking dish tightly with doubled layer of foil. Bake rice 1 hour, until tender.
    3. Remove baking dish from oven and uncover. Fluff rice with dinner fork, then cover dish with clean kitchen towel; let rice stand 5 minutes. Uncover and let rice stand 5 minutes longer; serve immediately.

Reprinted with permission from the May/June 2004 issue of Cook's Illustrated magazine.
  • marzahl68
    marzahl68 Posts: 201
    Options
    Like everyone else has already said, brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice and it also has a different texture when it's done.
    Now I know what's for dinner: something with brown rice!
  • FrayedKnot
    Options
    Brown rice comes in different forms, but at longest should take about 45 mins.
    The other posters are right, too, brown rice is much chewier than white, but definitely shouldn't crunch, unless you have loads of husks in. It may have been a bad batch. Buy some more and try again xx
    PS Brown rice is happy to be left overnight in some cold water to 'pre-cook' and soften a tad. This also cleans the rice. Throw the water out and cook as per instructions.
  • Truecullers72
    Truecullers72 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have issues cooking brown rice also, thats why i stick to trader Joes microwave brown rice. Its super easy to make and taste great.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Was the liquid simmering when you checked? Stock will boil and simmer at a higher temp than water and if it wasn't simmering, it won't cook, so the temp setting may have to be set higher.
  • Ruby11222
    Options
    Yes, was bubbling away the whole time, and was using a lid.
    Was the liquid simmering when you checked? Stock will boil and simmer at a higher temp than water and if it wasn't simmering, it won't cook, so the temp setting may have to be set higher.