trying hard but gaining weight

Options
i have only joined here the last couple of days but i have been on my new diet and exercise regime for about 3-4 weeks now, i have significantly reduced my food intake and taken a much healthier routine.

on top of this i have joined a gym and do at least 60 minutes per week minimum - which is a big step up from nothing at all.

i am, a big lady and have a lot to lose so the first month surely i should be losing something and yet i have gained about 6lbs altogether over these weeks and i am absolutely gutted about it

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you opened your diary, people might be able to help more.
  • kelscot30
    kelscot30 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hey honey

Be good if you published your food diary then people here could help you better. Best decision I made.

Just try and remember though that you are being more active and taking more positive steps towards a healthier lifestyle for a long term, healthy weight loss x
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    Are you eating high carbs? If your working out a lot you might find some gain from water retention in your muscles. Open your diary and people can give better advice.
  • darsh11
    darsh11 Posts: 98
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking enough water. If you are not drinking enough water your body holds onto the water it has. Also check with your doctor to make sure you don't have any problems with your sugar levels or thyroid. Both can be killers if you are trying to lose weight. You might also be eating too many fruits and not enough veggies. This happened to me. Hang in there it is a long road to get to your perfect self so just keep going one step at a time.
  • wardba4
    wardba4 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Not to over simplify things but it's as simple as calories in vs calories out!
    If you are gaining either you are maybe under estimating what you are eating or over estimating your exercising.
  • sassysaylorgirl
    Options
    i understand your frustration, but you have to remember since you are doing exercise that weight gain might be from muscle you are now gaining. Muscles weigh more than fat so it makes you gain weight, but you might actually be loosing inches! Just hang in there & keep doing what you are doing & the weight will start coming off! I think walking as fast as you can helps a lot with weight loss too! You also have to take in consideration water retained in your system for weight gain also! Keep up the good work & you will see results soon! Good Luck & God Bless You!!!
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Mm I agree a bit, less food is great but are your food choices good choices? The best thing about diets is when you eat clean you can actually eat a greater volume of food and still lose!
    It's hard to know what isn't going right for you, but if possible I'd lower carbs and sugar a little and add some more green veggies ... hard to know if that's good advice or not because I don't know where you're at.

Goodluck and I hope things improve!
  • Baldylocks30
    Baldylocks30 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    how do i open my diary?

water is an issue - i do drink it but not enough so i will up that from now xx oh and my diary says no cups of water because i only just saw it on the page lol
  • Baldylocks30
    Baldylocks30 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    ok i think i have managed to open it so feel free to have a gander, i am off to uni for a few hours now so will catch up later, thank you for your help and suggestions xx
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    In the tabs go to FOOD > SETTINGS > scroll to the bottom and set it to Public.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Your body, not unlike an automobile, needs fuel to run. Make sure you're filling the tank properly by eating the calories MFP tells you to eat. Get yourself a heart rate monitor so you can more accurately count calories burned during cardio exercise. Weight training is a great way to turn your body into a fat burning machine. Hit the wieghts in addition to cardio exercise.
  • adonhoff0001
    adonhoff0001 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You'll gain muscle that first bit so you will see weight gain at first, since muscle weighs more than fat, but don't get discouraged! You may see your weight only go down slowly at first as your body sheds fat and gains muscle, but keep on your schedule and diet plan and you will see results. Its a lengthy process, but keep it up! You'll start feeling better and having more energy and it will get so much easier!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    You'll gain muscle that first bit so you will see weight gain at first, since muscle weighs more than fat, but don't get discouraged! You may see your weight only go down slowly at first as your body sheds fat and gains muscle, but keep on your schedule and diet plan and you will see results. Its a lengthy process, but keep it up! You'll start feeling better and having more energy and it will get so much easier!

No. If only it was that easy to gain muscle. Very hard to put on mass in a calorie deficit. You wont be gaining much in a 3 week period even if you are eating a surplus of calories
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    are those calories you've eaten the last 2 days correct? if so you need to eat more your body may be going into starvation mode meaning your body will hold onto anything you give it.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    If you diary is complete and that's all you have been eating, then you are not eating enough!.. Especially if you are working out every day! You need to start eating more from what I can see of your diary... Good Luck and don't give up!.. You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    From the couple of days you have logged you arent eating anywhere near enough, especially if you are burning 900 cals working out. you need to be hitting your calorie goal, and at the least, NET 1200 cals per week.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    You aren't eating enough. You have less than 800 calories for each day, and you have very high calorie burns.

(1) You should eat no less than 1200 calories per day. It's counter-intuitive, but you have to eat to lose.
    (2) Make sure you are tracking calories with a HRM. At the very least, underestimate what you do if you are tracking with the MFP calculations or by the numbers of the machines. The calculations for calories burned on here can be really, really off.
    (3) Search "eating back exercise calories." It's a contentious issue on the message boards and really depends on how your body holds on to food and processes calories. The posts should give you some background on whether or not you should be eating back at least some of those calories you burned.
    (4) Be sure to have good macros: carbs, protein, and fat. Higher protein is helpful in building muscle.
    (5) Working out strenuously (which you could make a case for by going from no exercise to regular exercise) causes your muscles to retain water, which can add to your weight.
    (6) Be sure to drink lots of water and limit sodium to no more than 2,500 mg each day, but 1,500 mg or less is ideal.
    (7) Avoid processed foods as much as possible.

Good luck! I hope some of these tips can help you.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options

You will not see a gain from muscle unless you're working out 6 or 8 hours a day every day. It takes a long time and a LOT of hard work to gain even a small amount of muscle weight. Especially in a short period of time.
    I noticed after looking at your diary, you're not eating nearly enough calories. Try to work in about 5 small meals a day to hit your calories.

According to the amount of calories you're burning comapared to the amount you're taking in, your body is going to hold on to ever lb of fat for emergency stores.

If you lose your job and are no longer bringing in money, you're not gonna run out and spend more. Your body is no different. If you're not bringing in calories, your body will conserve all the fat you are currently storing, for use later when it's needed. Eat more (healthy foods), lose more weight.
  • Ajaay
    Ajaay Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I only saw the last two days logged and you aren't eating enough. Make sure you log every bite and never go below 1200 calories (unless you are a short tiny person I suppose). You have to eat enough to not go into starvation mode.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Eat all your calories! Your body needs them and MFP already calculates a deficit based on your goals