Help! with crunches

Options
Ok, so I have fallen off the wagon a bit in the exercise area. Here is why

My stomach is the big problem area but crunches and sit ups hurt my neck and back too much. Is there a way to get my stomach muscles in shape with out curling into a fetal position?

I have an aerobic step now though, so starting April first I will be doing step exercises so if anyone knows some techniques for that too it would be spectacular.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• samster85
    samster85 Posts: 51
    Options
    Ok, so I have fallen off the wagon a bit in the exercise area. Here is why

My stomach is the big problem area but crunches and sit ups hurt my neck and back too much. Is there a way to get my stomach muscles in shape with out curling into a fetal position?

I have an aerobic step now though, so starting April first I will be doing step exercises so if anyone knows some techniques for that too it would be spectacular.

Thanks!!!
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    You can find videos that have standing ab work...if I can remember the name of the one I watched, I will post it for you. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    1st, doing a crunch, you should never actually curl either your back or neck.

A correct crunch is chin up, looking at the ceiling, back straight, and a 35 to 40 degree angle (that's about 6 to 10 inches off the ground at the shoulder blade level). The abdominal muscles should do all the work, actively concentrate on contracting them to pull you forward.

If you're neck hurts after crunches, you aren't doing them right. Remember, CHIN UP. You should be able to read a sign on the ceiling no problem while doing crunches.

Secondly, crunches don't improve body fat in the stomach area, I'm not sure if that's what you are trying to do, but if it is, cardio is what you want.

Try doing some planks, planks are a great way to increase ab strength without putting the lower back or neck at risk.
  • heygirl1954
    Options
    I also had a problem with my back and neck and I use a ab roller and it seems to help me
  • rwalden628
    Options
    An excercise ball might help. Keep your back and neck straight though. You should only be pulling your shoulder blades off the floor (if you're on the floor).

86075.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • samster85
    samster85 Posts: 51
    Options
    thanks everyone for the help. The planks are difficult but they seem to be working. I still have to buy an exercise ball.

Have a Fantastic Easter!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    1st, doing a crunch, you should never actually curl either your back or neck.

A correct crunch is chin up, looking at the ceiling, back straight, and a 35 to 40 degree angle (that's about 6 to 10 inches off the ground at the shoulder blade level). The abdominal muscles should do all the work, actively concentrate on contracting them to pull you forward.

If you're neck hurts after crunches, you aren't doing them right. Remember, CHIN UP. You should be able to read a sign on the ceiling no problem while doing crunches.

Secondly, crunches don't improve body fat in the stomach area, I'm not sure if that's what you are trying to do, but if it is, cardio is what you want.

Try doing some planks, planks are a great way to increase ab strength without putting the lower back or neck at risk.

I'm going to try crunches while staring at the ceiling and see if that helps. I don't do them often because my lower back and neck ALWAYS hurt while doing them --- and I know that means I'm not doing it right, so I stop!

Samster, I did find that I was better positioned and didn't have back or neck pain if I propped my legs up on the couch or on the fitness ball or on a chair.... Having my legs propped up corrected the positioning of my back (I suppose).
  • sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Try planks.....face the floor almost in a push up position, but put your elbows on the floor. Hold that pose and you'll feel an ab burn! 30 seconds can be tough! Hopefully somewhere online there is a pic!
    Good luck!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try crunches while staring at the ceiling and see if that helps. I don't do them often because my lower back and neck ALWAYS hurt while doing them --- and I know that means I'm not doing it right, so I stop!

Samster, I did find that I was better positioned and didn't have back or neck pain if I propped my legs up on the couch or on the fitness ball or on a chair.... Having my legs propped up corrected the positioning of my back (I suppose).

That's right Lauryn. Putting your legs up on something so that they create two 90 degree angles (one at your butt, one at your knees) will usually preclude you from arching your back while doing them. HOWEVER, it won't help your neck or force you to use your abs, so you have to always be concious of that. Doing an incorrect crunch does very little for you and can make your workout seem futile.

Couple of tips:

-See my above post about the chin. (I hate repeating myself:tongue: )
    -A crunch should take 5 seconds, 3 up, 2 down, at no time should you be able to easilly spot your stomach (I.E. your eyes should be looking UP not forward)
    -Conciously contract your abs on both the contraction and the release motions (up and down), don't release your abdominal muscle until you are on the floor.
    - to really increase your output, once you have mastered the correct form, incorporate the elbow to knee arcross the body motion (bicycle crunches), this will work your obliques as well, giving you a far more defined look then just the abs themselves, it will also allow you to have far more stability when using force to move someting laterally across your body.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I have an Ab Lounge and I love it! Doesn't hurt neck or back at all, and allows for a really wide range of motion.
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    you could also try a V-sit pose. Where, with a straight back, you sit on your haunches lift your legs straight up infront of you and raise your arms ot hte the side, like a "V" with your body, and hold this as long as you can before your back starts slouching. To modify, use your arms to lightly support your legs if you need it at first.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    As suggested earlier, other poses work abs too... I'm a visual learner myself, so indulge me as I post photos below :wink:

Yoga Plank, fully extended arms
    yoga_plank_1.jpg

Yoga Plank, arms bent at elbow (he actually has one leg raised too, more of an advanced move)
    457354097_251d6d388c.jpg?v=0

Yoga Boat (you can also put your arms behind your head, like you would when doing a sit up...)
    ** We do these in both my yoga and pilates classes. Try to hold for 60 secs, or as long as possible, then repeat.**
    boat.jpg

Yoga Boat, modified with legs bent (weak abs, this is how I do mine.... as my muscles fatigue, I hold my thighs and then eventually tap my feet down to the floor, rest for a moment, then go back to this full pose again)
    Jordan-in-modified-boat_115.jpg
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Hello all:happy:
    I've had more success with an Ab Lounger than any other method. Doesn't hurt my neck or back; do them slowly like SHBoss recommends and you can REALLY feel it after about 20 crunches. I'm to 100 slloooow crunches a day, and am starting to see definition again. Used it faithfully for about 6 months, then slacked off. BIG mistake, so I'm back to using it almost every day. Well worth the $90 investment - my husband has even used it.:bigsmile:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Hello all:happy:
    I've had more success with an Ab Lounger than any other method. Doesn't hurt my neck or back; do them slowly like SHBoss recommends and you can REALLY feel it after about 20 crunches. I'm to 100 slloooow crunches a day, and am starting to see definition again. Used it faithfully for about 6 months, then slacked off. BIG mistake, so I'm back to using it almost every day. Well worth the $90 investment - my husband has even used it.:bigsmile:

Like I said earlier, I LOVE my ab lounge. I do get ahead of myself and probably should try doing slooooooow reps. Although, sometimes I can get somewhat of a cardio workout on it. Before I start my workout on it, I stretch as far back as I can, it feels so good! I love after using the ab lounge my abs feel so tight!
  • ckroys
    ckroys Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    As suggested earlier, other poses work abs too... I'm a visual learner myself, so indulge me as I post photos below :wink:

Yoga Boat (you can also put your arms behind your head, like you would when doing a sit up...)
    ** We do these in both my yoga and pilates classes. Try to hold for 60 secs, or as long as possible, then repeat.**
    boat.jpg

I tried this a few years ago when I was trying pilates - it hurt my tailbone :ohwell: - was I not doing it right? Without mirrors in my living room, it's hard to tell whether I looked that that (well, I know I didn't look like that - if so I wouldn't be trying to lose weight!!:laugh: ), but I felt like I was in that position. Have you ever had that problem?