Rollerblading, anyone?

Options
I am looking into rollerblading, cause im silly and wanted rollerblades my whole life... anyways I was just wondering if anyone rollerblades for exercise? If you have any advice about what kind of rollerblades to get / not to get?

Replies

• TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I'm silly TOO -- and I want some!!
    I used to roller skate all the time when I was younger (yes, that makes me OLD), and tried to talk my husband into giving me a "roller rink" party for my 40th. He thought I was KIDDING. :tongue:

Can't wait to see the advice, too!!
  • brynakrauth
    Options
    I love my rollerblades and it's a great workout! Excellent for your thighs and butt. Listen to your tunes and skate away ;0

I have Bauer rollerblades and I play hockey too and love the Bauer brand. Go online and google rollerblades. There are lots to choose from and you don't have to spend tons of money to get a good pair of skates.
  • brynakrauth
    Options
    I used to roller skate all the time when I was younger (yes, that makes me OLD), and tried to talk my husband into giving me a "roller rink" party for my 40th. He thought I was KIDDING. :tongue:

Remember the movie Zanadu (not sure if that's how to spell it)? After I saw that movie (probably in the late 70's early 80's, I wanted to roller skate all the time. Would pretend I was Olivia Newton John (so embarrassing). I bought my rollerblades about 10 years ago and skate all summer long. It's such an awesome workout that doesn't even feel like a workout. I highly recommend.
  • tamaranash
    tamaranash Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree, I have been rollerblading for 16 years!!!!!! I love it, its a great work out.. You do need to get fitted, and try on a few brands. I have a pair if "rollerblade" brand and they actually have zip ties where you pull them tight and loosen easily. My first pair were solomon (a ski brand) and they were awesome. Basically if you buy a good pair, you can buy new wheels and bearings when they wear out. Also, after each season or high use you need to rotate wheels front left to back right and so on.. this helps your wheels to last longer! Its great cardio, you can get your arms involved, practice holding your abs in to work on core while blading.
    I use it as an addition to my workout regime. I run, bike, blade swim. It is different then roller skating, but an enjoyable sport for sure!
  • Joisgettingfit
    Joisgettingfit Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    There's a woman I often see rollerblading up and down the Costal Road in Southport where I live and she has the most fantastic legs ever.
    Everytime I'm in the car and I see her I'm like damn I wish my legs where as toned and slender and lovely as hers.
    So even though I don't rollerblade myself (I want to get some skates though) i'd deffo recommend it.
  • PVMcHugh
    Options
    I have a pair of rollerblades (in-line skates - Rollerblade is the brand, but their name is being used generically like Kleenex and Band-Aids) at my boyfriend's place. He also owns a pair of skates. I bought mine from Sports Authority a few years ago for a good price. I'm not a pro, but the pair I bought were just fine for me. There's a variety of styles and brands. It depends on what you're looking for in style and price. Good luck on your search for a pair of skates.
  • iheartfoodalways
    Options
    Remember the movie Zanadu (not sure if that's how to spell it)? After I saw that movie (probably in the late 70's early 80's, I wanted to roller skate all the time. Would pretend I was Olivia Newton John (so embarrassing). I bought my rollerblades about 10 years ago and skate all summer long. It's such an awesome workout that doesn't even feel like a workout. I highly recommend.

speaking of movies... Solarbabies... its an 80s movie ever since I saw it I wanted to skate all the time.

I have looked online and there are sooo many kinds, like "fitness" "street", I'm not sure what kind to get but I'm gonna head out to the store later and dont want to be sold on something I dont need, ya know?
  • WalkingFlower
    WalkingFlower Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For example Rollerblade Fitness
    and then depends on whether you've ever skate
    Bearings 7 (beginners top) or 9
    Wheels 90mm (beginners top) or more/at least 82A

I have veeeery old but still fast in-line skates Rollerblade with bearings ABEC 7 and 80mm wheels. And I'm satisfied for about 8 years.
    There are certainly good shops with qualified salesmen in your neighborhood, who can give you good advice. You must try the skates before buying, I do not recommend buying this article through internet.
  • I want some! I live out in the country though, gravel and dirt roads....can't really roller blade out here! Can't wait to move!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options

OH GOD, YES. I was Olivia Newton John, for sure. Wanna talk about emabarassing? My cousin and I formed a girl skate/dance group in my basement called "The Elvis Angels" -- we had a routine to "Pac Man Fever" that (we thought) would knock your socks off. :laugh: